News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

difference in eddy carbs - simple questions

Started by Stegs, April 30, 2015, 06:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HPP

Quote from: Challenger340 on May 04, 2015, 09:58:53 AM

The factory "stock" specs, "stock" cam, 1972 to 1978 230hp engines used an 800 cfm Thermoquad Carburetor from factory, so no reason yours can't handle the 750 cfm Eddy Carb being a very similar engine build.

This is true, but the 800 cfm  Thermoquads had HUGE secondaries with primaries smaller than what is in the OP's 600 Ebrock. So they created the best balance of small , repsonsive primararies for  light driving, but the ability to flow massive amounts of air in the upper rpm range.

Ghoste

Yeah the Thermoquad gets a bad rap doesn't it?  It really should have come out sooner than it did maybe.

Dino

It's such a good carb that I'm giving mine another chance, despite the fact that it's trying to kill me.   :lol:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69wannabe

The holley carb's get a bad rap for being hard to tune but I really don't know why. The cheap holley 600's are kinda like the eddy 750's IMO, they seem to be hit and miss too..... I put a 750 holley double pumper on my 440 and had it on there for three years and maybe adjusted it one or two times. I got an 850 holley double pumper carb on it now since I went up with the cubic inches and I have had to up the jet's a little bit and set the floats and after getting it tuned in I haven't messed with it since. I swore by edelbrock carbs for years til I got a good holley!!!

Stegs

Guys after some PM back and forth with ron...... ;)

I had my timing checked. Like Ron guessed...its not so much a carb issue as it is a timing issue

Having a firecore ignition from Ron, he gave me a idea what it should be at idle, and then again at 3000 rpm

Well after my rebuild they didnt dial in the timing like they should have

So i made a phone call and he is going to set the timing AND hook vac gauges to find out what the motor likes

So after this weekend...it should be running as best it can with the 600 eddy

now i might go with a 750 holley down the road...maybe next years first purchase for the car....(depends how the car runs and drives with the eddy)

HPP

Quote from: Ghoste on May 08, 2015, 07:26:58 PM
Yeah the Thermoquad gets a bad rap doesn't it?  It really should have come out sooner than it did maybe.

Yeah, engine heat isn't kind to the phenolic bowls and they tend to distort over time, but they are good carbs once you figure out how to tune them.  The new Street Demons are modeled after them are available in polymer bodies and also a 3 barrel set up to create the large secondary airflow.

Ghoste

Didn't take much time either.  Worked in a Dodge shop back when they were new equipment and they had issues with cracks and warpage.