News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dana 60 rear axle internals for street and strip

Started by chrisbinks, April 25, 2015, 05:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisbinks

Hi all, I'm planning on putting a dana 60 rear axle on my project charger, its a 1970 426 hemi or will be I'm currently wait on a car but putting it all together as in planning for parts i need to marry everything up.      I'm not overly up on ratios and axle diffs etc, so i was hoping you guys may be able to recommend a diff and ratio to go in the axle or what would be best to fit to it. it will be used as a road car as well as taken to the strips a few times a year. it will be dual caliper kits on each side too

any idea guys would be much appreciated.   iv been looking on a few sites that do ready build axles but I'm building it so ideally id like to learn and do it myself,   properly obviously . these are the options iv found so far for axles .

3.54:1 Ratio - Motive Pro/Street

3.54:1 Ratio - Richmond Pro/Street +$35.00

3.55:1 Ratio - DANA OEM +$65.00

3.73:1 Ratio - Motive Pro/Street

3.73:1 Ratio - Richmond Pro/street +$35.00

3.90:1 Ratio - Motive Pro/Street +$35.00

4.10:1 Ratio - Motive Pro/Street +$10.00

4.30:1 Ratio - Hoosier Pro/Street

4.56:1 Ratio - Motive Pro/Street

4.56:1 Ratio - Richmond Pro/Street

4.88:1 Ratio - Richmond Pro/Street

5.13:1 Ratio - Motive Pro/Street

5.38:1 Ratio - Richmond Pro/Street

4.10:1 Ratio Richmond Pro/Comp

4.56:1 Ratio Richmond Pro/Comp

4.88:1 Ratio Richmond Pro/Comp
5.13:1 Ratio Richmond Pro/Comp

5.38:1 Ratio Richmond Pro/Comp

any help would be great.  also best places to go for the parts including dana 60 axle cases. etc

Many thanks guys

chris

Ghoste

chrisbinks

Quote from: Ghoste on April 25, 2015, 06:52:59 AM
I think that covers them.  :shruggy:

Which ratios are best recommended? Which would you guys be using?

Mike DC

When it comes to gearing, street cruiser and track car are pretty much opposite directions.  It's a pure and simple compromise.  

The lower numbers (3.54:1, etc) are called "taller" gearing.  They are suited for street cruising.  
The higher numbers are called "lower" gearing and are better at the track (up to a point.)

Realistically, the tallest gears that fit in the Dana housing (3.54) are still on the short side for street cruising.  The Dana is basically a truck axle and it was designed for truck gears.  Trucks use bigger tires than cars.  Trucks need lower gearing than a car just for that reason.

Asking "what is streetable?" in this hobby can be a pretty loaded/biased issue.  You can find guys with gearing so low they have to cruise at 50-60mph on the highway, saying their setup "works fine for the street."  

The fact is a modern sports car will have differential gears very tall (like a 3.00-3.20 range), AND have an overdrive gear in the transmission making the utimate cruising gear even taller still.

John_Kunkel

:iagree:  If you're gonna see any freeway driving don't go any taller than 3.54.

Doc Diff's prices are hard to beat.

http://www.doctordiff.com/drivetrain/dana-60/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.