News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Organosol effect

Started by bobfist, May 17, 2015, 02:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobfist

Hi!

Since i cant get any organosol for my tail light panel for my charger 69 i wonder if that paint has structure in it?
Im thinking of painting it with sem structure paint and then dust satin black over, not correct but would it be in the right direction?
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

Dino

Short answer: yes.

I no longer have the original organisol on my car, if I did I'd run out to study it.  As with any paint that has some grain to it, which I believe it does here as well, you can use another high solid paint and mimick the texture by changing out the spray gun needle and knowing how to use air pressure.  I've seen your work, you know what you're doing so I won't go into detail.

As long as you don't use different paint systems you can certainly top off the work with satin.  They gives you some leeway in case you get some debris in the textured paint.  You'll be able to fix it and finish with a few coats of satin side to side.

I think the original paint can still be bought here, but shipping may not bee easy or even possible.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

I used to like to use black epoxy primer sealer,as a sealer. Spray it very dry to get the suede effect,then use a trim black paint over that and your all good. Another option i have been doing the last few is this....if you have access to it its rust oleum textured paint in a spray can . I use that on dashes and steering columns and it works great on tail panels too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cdr

hey Brian I think this is the paint #   #7220 Textured Black. Rustoleum, it is what i use on my dash & stg column .
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

The organisol paint I've bought in spray cans was a PITA to use.  I think it's just the nature of the paint, being so textured & heavy.

The factory seemed to be going for the flattest look they could get in a practical way.  From what I recall it was not a totally flat paint but more of a low-gloss paint with heavy texturing.  A truly flat paint layer would be harder to keep clean. 

With spray cans, you might try spraying a stone-textured layer first and then using a satin black layer on top to "seal it up" a bit.  I haven't tried this but it's an idea.   

bobfist

Thanks everyone i will try this
Here is my car painted and waiting for the boar green vinyl top

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Charger-Bodie

The rust oleum stuff works great as long as you clean the tip after use by spraying the can upside down, and shake the can between coats.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

bobfist

do you think sems structure paint would be as good as rust oleum?
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Charger-Bodie

I have zero experience with that product.

six-tee-nine

What about regular black paint?

Shoot 2 normal coats, let them flash and put a third misty layer with more air pressure from a little more distance, so it becomes rougher.... could that pass?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Dino

Quote from: six-tee-nine on May 18, 2015, 12:32:20 PM
What about regular black paint?

Shoot 2 normal coats, let them flash and put a third misty layer with more air pressure from a little more distance, so it becomes rougher.... could that pass?

It does work, but I would do that the other way round.  Lay down one dust coat followed directly by a rough coat.  Then apply a wet coat and see if you have to go back to step 2 to add more texture.

I'd go the Rustolrum route though if it's really that close.  Why make it harder than it needs to be right?  I have used Sem products but not that one.  I'd risk it though, it's a good brand.

bobfist

ok ill try sem, its for bumpers and stuff so i guess it will hold up for outside use
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Dino

Quote from: bobfist on May 18, 2015, 01:30:46 PM
ok ill try sem, its for bumpers and stuff so i guess it will hold up for outside use

It should, but you can always contact Sem and ask if there is a good matte or satin clear coat that can seal their paint.

six-tee-nine

Well, its for the tail so you dont catch bugs there so the paint will be a less attacked then in the front...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

maxwellwedge

Original Organosol had an ingredient call suede in it. The original stuff also has a hint of metallic in it as well. Depending on how the line worker applied it, it could be fairly textured or fairly smooth. Frank Badalson has it for sale.....for how much longer - who knows. I believe one of the Charger plants (I think St. Louis) didn't use it because of a state law......they used a flattened standard black instead. This is even shown in the engineering drawings.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 19, 2015, 11:48:03 AM
Original Organosol had an ingredient call suede in it. The original stuff also has a hint of metallic in it as well. Depending on how the line worker applied it, it could be fairly textured or fairly smooth. Frank Badalson has it for sale.....for how much longer - who knows. I believe one of the Charger plants (I think St. Louis) didn't use it because of a state law......they used a flattened standard black instead. This is even shown in the engineering drawings.

I agree. Back when I was a kid in my dads body shop he had lacquer paint on a mixing bank system. Dmd364 was the number for suede flattener. The money they get for the watered down lacquer now a days is rediculous .

AKcharger

I've had good luck with rustolum® semi-gloss black  :yesnod:

Brock Lee

Proper Organosol is still available at http://autocolorlibrary.com/

The suede additive is not a reducer or flattening agent, it actually changes the consistency of the paint. You will find strange spider web looking formations develop in screw holes and in corners if you are not careful. You really have to dial the gun in just right or it will look like thin silly string coming out of the gun.

hemi-hampton

DDL #9355 is the factory paint code for the Organosol textured black. Some paints stores still sell it but getting very exspensive nowadays. LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Brock Lee on May 21, 2015, 05:41:39 PM
Proper Organosol is still available at http://autocolorlibrary.com/

The suede additive is not a reducer or flattening agent, it actually changes the consistency of the paint. You will find strange spider web looking formations develop in screw holes and in corners if you are not careful. You really have to dial the gun in just right or it will look like thin silly string coming out of the gun.

The suede additive is a flattener. If you are spraying lacquer paint and it spraying like cobwebs you have it too thick and need to add some thinner.

bill440rt

I've had good luck dry-spraying SEM Trim black, or even PPG DP primer and then painting over that with semi-flat black.

I prefer to lay down 1-2 medium coats, THEN dry-spraying on top of that. Basically holding the can or gun back about 20-24" after the initial coats have flashed & "misting" the paint on to achieve texture.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bill above used SEM's Hot Rod Black paint kit when he did my V21 in the manner he said (dry spraying)

http://www.amazon.com/SEM-Paints-Hot-Rod-Black/dp/B002O0OTTC

Overall he achieved a perfect blend of texture as well as ease of maintenance with this type of finish.  Very happy with the way it came out  :2thumbs:

First pic is wet...second pic is how it laid out after drying (kinda hard to get a good pic....)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mpd659

PPG can mix organosol black for you. I bought a pint of it in 2013 to spray my friends 68 R/T Charger tail light panel.   The mixed it in Concept DCC code # 9355

HeavyFuel

This is the best pic I could find of my orginal stuff.    :-\

66FBCharger

I picked up several cans of the Rustoleum fine textured black paint.
What do I use for primer?
Any tips or tricks so that my tailpanel comes out nice?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 28, 2015, 11:44:59 AM
I picked up several cans of the Rustoleum fine textured black paint.
What do I use for primer?
Any tips or tricks so that my tailpanel comes out nice?

Unless there is bare metal or a lot of breakthrough you won't need primer. Key is to spray it totally even. It will do the rest.

68pplcharger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 23, 2015, 10:18:13 AM
Bill above used SEM's Hot Rod Black paint kit when he did my V21 in the manner he said (dry spraying)

Overall he achieved a perfect blend of texture as well as ease of maintenance with this type of finish.  Very happy with the way it came out  :2thumbs:

First pic is wet...second pic is how it laid out after drying (kinda hard to get a good pic....)

I used the same kit, SEM HR010, for my Car and it turned out great. I just fogged the last two coats and the texture turned out great as well. I'll try to get a close up this weekend

DixieRestoParts

Guys, a friend of mine that's restored a few high end Chargers told me the tail panel is Ditzler 9028, not Organosol. He says it's 40% gloss. He got the code from a '69 paint chart that called out the tail panel. Just thought I'd pass this along in case someone wanted to try it. I'm sure it's much cheaper than Organosol. I don't think what PPG sells today is the real stuff.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

hemi-hampton

Here's what my 1969 PPG paint code book say's. Sorry about the watermark. LEON.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 68pplcharger on May 28, 2015, 01:53:42 PM

I used the same kit, SEM HR010, for my Car and it turned out great. I just fogged the last two coats and the texture turned out great as well. I'll try to get a close up this weekend

Damn that looks good!  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mopar4don

68pplcharger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 03, 2015, 04:20:12 AM

Thanks Just 6T9 CHGR...  Not bad for a set of hand laid strips going off of a picture downloaded from this site huh... lol

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 02, 2015, 11:26:22 PM
Here's what my 1969 PPG paint code book say's. Sorry about the watermark. LEON.

Hmm, conflicting info. I don't think my friend still has that paint chip, I'll have to ask if he does, and if he can send a pic.  Thanks for posting.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 68pplcharger on June 03, 2015, 06:21:07 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 03, 2015, 04:20:12 AM

Thanks Just 6T9 CHGR...  Not bad for a set of hand laid strips going off of a picture downloaded from this site huh... lol

Not bad at all.  Looks spot on to me.   I actually used a template off a factory V21 car...courtesy of member LeesRT on this site from CA....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 23, 2015, 10:18:13 AM

Overall he achieved a perfect blend of texture as well as ease of maintenance with this type of finish.  Very happy with the way it came out  :2thumbs:

:coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

DixieRestoParts

Does anyone know how many V21 cars were built/ordered in '69?
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on June 03, 2015, 07:12:04 PM
Does anyone know how many V21 cars were built/ordered in '69?

Reported 56 total XP built
Reported 337 total XS built
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

DixieRestoParts

Wow, in 30+ years of messing with these cars, I've never seen an original one. But, it does look cool!
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia

Lord Warlock

So I take it organosol is unable to be shipped overseas?  I've used totally auto's spray cans of organosol for my tail panel and it came out looking just like the original did...because I painted half of it and checked texture before finishing it.  Mine was in good shape but had gotten overspray on it from when I painted the rest of the car, so had to retreat it afterwards.  One can was enough to do the whole rear panel at least two full coats, doing the v21 on the hood took more than one can but less than 2.  At 20.00 a can it seemed fair to me.  They have improved the formulation since the first time I got the spray cans, 5 or more years ago when you ordered a can, they sent 5 different spray tips with each can because it would clog the tip, the new formulation doesn't clog in the tip anymore.

To be on the safe side, I also have a quart of hot rod black from SEM sitting on my shelf, just in case I need to do it again.  I had been saving a half can of organosol for over a year (spray can) until it fell off the shelf and emptied itself on the floor to be found the next day...I was lucky it leaked pointing toward the floor and not toward the charger or I'd have been really ticked off.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.