News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what holley carb do you guys suggest?

Started by Stegs, June 08, 2015, 06:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

That was the standard? 750 street demon.  You might be talking about the road demon or the mighty demon, speed demon? more dinero. I haven't heard anything bad about them though. Mostly good.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

ACUDANUT

Nothing bad about a demon carb. I just think they are overpriced.  :Twocents:

Ghoste

They were getting a bad rep a couple of years ago for quality issues but I think they are supposed to be better now. (and what mass produced item doesn't go through that)

Stegs

Quote from: myk on June 12, 2015, 08:15:54 AM
I've always wanted a 4160, been thinking about it for a while.  You make your decision yet, OP?

No I havent.

Lots of opinions. all great help, but its hard to decide what one (avenger, demon etc) is best

I need electric choke, 750 cfm or 770 cfm. Vac secondaries

Im slowly saving for a new carb....researching .....seems to me the demons are good...just high priced. Hard to say at this point....but im still saving a little bit every week for a new one

cdr

i sent the street demon back to Summit racing, the accelerator pump does not like e10 junk gas, it turned into goo, so i have a 950 hp on the way.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

myk

That's too bad.  You seemed to really like that Demon...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ACUDANUT

Quote from: cdr on June 23, 2015, 08:31:28 AM
i sent the street demon back to Summit racing, the accelerator pump does not like e10 junk gas, it turned into goo, so i have a 950 hp on the way.

What is e10 junk gas ?

cdr

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 23, 2015, 12:54:42 PM
Quote from: cdr on June 23, 2015, 08:31:28 AM

What is e10 junk gas ?

ethanol
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Nickrc3

Quote from: Stegs on June 08, 2015, 06:38:27 AM
went looking at holley 750 or 770 carbs...the have all different models
what do you suggest
demon, street demon, avenger...etc?

I installed the ProForm 750 (double-pump, mech. secondaries, electric choke) replacing the original Carter AVS last year. Best upgrade to date!

It did require some tuning, but what a difference in starting effort, idle characteristics and overall performance.

Stegs

Quote from: Nickrc3 on June 28, 2015, 06:33:58 PM
what do you suggest

I installed the ProForm 750 (double-pump, mech. secondaries, electric choke) replacing the original Carter AVS last year. Best upgrade to date!

It did require some tuning, but what a difference in starting effort, idle characteristics and overall performance.

That was another one i was considering....Ive heard good things about those carbs too!

Challenger340

what do you suggest

What Carb ? ..... For WHAT Camshaft events, WHAT Gearing, WHAT Tire and Convertor ?

Probably best to stick with a Vacuum secondary..... up to 750 cfm... and maybe up to 224* @ .050 Intake pattern Cam on a dual plane Intake.

Carbs are sensitive to port reversion.
The more port reversion(cam), the more extra Intake Volume will lessen the pulse, but the larger the carb the less sensitive they are to plenum signals(reversion UP closer to the carb) with larger Intakes, which kills throtttle response down in low rpms, compounded by poor Piston re-mix of the air/fuel charge in the combustion chamber with LOW compression Engines further killing low-end torque.

XE268H Cam
'Ol standby Holley 3310
Buy the secondary Vacuum spring kit to tune the secondary's
Holley Street Dominator Intake(for Hood clearance).

You can buy any zippee do-dah flavor of the month shiney pieces you want.... but none will be worth more than 5 hp average power difference below 5000 rpm than the above parts on your engine combo.
But....
they LOOK faster........  right ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Stegs

still looking at carbs

Cant decide between this holley : https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/avenger/street_avenger/parts/0-80770

or

the equivilant proform carb

Anybody point me in the better direction

Motor is a 440 stock rebuild, going with a hughes whiplash cam in the spring, has eddy performer intake now

any of these better than the other....looking for vac secondaries and electric choke

cdr

challenger340 said the 3310 holley & i agree, very tried & true vac sec & available elec choke.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68charger440

I would stay away from the avenger series, but if you insist I have one Ill sell you cheap. I couldn't tune it right for my needs.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Stegs

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 17, 2015, 10:23:48 AM
I would stay away from the avenger series, but if you insist I have one Ill sell you cheap. I couldn't tune it right for my needs.

would you suggest a proform over a holley?

If its a holley, what "series" holley would you suggest?

Im open to any and all opinions, what works and what dont work for these motors....Im all ears

68charger440

I just bought the proform 850 DP on Ron's  (Firefighter3931) suggestion for my 500".  Electric choke and mech secondaries. He is helping me dial it in now.  So far it is already far better than the Avenger and we aren't done dialing it in.  I installed a wideband o2 gauge at the same time also on Ron's suggestion.  That thing is worth its weight in gold.  No guessing on rich/lean, or pulling out plugs to check them every 15 minutes.  I lost all summer last year, and half of this year fighting with the Street Avenger and never got it to start as quick and run as cleanly as now, but I didn't have the wideband as a guide yet either. It is 4 corner adjustable where the Avenger is only 2 corner adjustable among many other improvements.  My vote goes hands down to the Proform, and get the wideband o2 also if you can spend the $150 and save yourself some tuning headaches.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Charger-Bodie

I went to a 850 on my built 440 and have a nice 750 holley race carb for sale.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Stegs

sounds like a proform carb is better than a holley

what is this wide ban o2, what does it do? how does it work?

for 150 dollars? it seems to be money well spent as far as dialing your car in

I will get a proform carb when the time comes, do i need the linkage adaptor to go from a eddy to proform?

Or do you guys think the 600CFM eddy i have now is fine, and i should just spend the money to have it professionaly tuned?

XH29N0G

A wide band is a way to measure air fuel ratio using a sensor that is placed in the exhaust pipe - I had it welded in via a bung supplied with the gauge.  Wide bands can be bought as a gauge-bung kit or pieced together and a bunch of different companies sell them.  I bought one from innovate (the gauge, the sensor, the controller) and as per their instructions, wired it to an RS 232 port and a converter to USB for recording the A/F on my computer.  Other people just read the gauge, or even use a data logger and get additional information.  It is a useful tool.  There are a number of threads discussing the merits of various A/F (Air Fuel Gauge) set ups on here.  It was a worthwhile experience for me and I learned a lot as a result.  

I think you need an adapter plate # 20-7 for the throttle lever any time you run a  Holley-type carburetor (Holley, Proform, Quick Fuel, ....) using a Mopar throttle cable set up, so that the throttle blades open all the way.  I do not know what other hardware is needed for an automatic as my car is a manual.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Stegs

Quote from: XH29N0G on August 18, 2015, 07:25:30 AM
A wide band is a way to measure air fuel ratio using a sensor that is placed in the exhaust pipe - I had it welded in via a bung supplied with the gauge.  Wide bands can be bought as a gauge-bung kit or pieced together and a bunch of different companies sell them.  I bought one from innovate (the gauge, the sensor, the controller) and as per their instructions, wired it to an RS 232 port and a converter to USB for recording the A/F on my computer.  Other people just read the gauge, or even use a data logger and get additional information.  It is a useful tool.  There are a number of threads discussing the merits of various A/F (Air Fuel Gauge) set ups on here.  It was a worthwhile experience for me and I learned a lot as a result.  

I think you need an adapter plate # 20-7 for the throttle lever any time you run a  Holley-type carburetor (Holley, Proform, Quick Fuel, ....) using a Mopar throttle cable set up, so that the throttle blades open all the way.  I do not know what other hardware is needed for an automatic as my car is a manual.

thank you for the info!

68charger440

I might have an extra holley adapter for the linkage.  If I do I'll PM you and just give it to you.  I have to say that the Eddy carb was rhe easiest 'set it and forget it" carb I ever had for a stock motor.  It just wasn't able to get the most out of a built up motor.  In your case the Eddy might be just fine, and if is the original then it is probably already setup pretty close to what you need.
Xh29NOG...  My O2 kit didnt come with any instructions/ software etc to log to my PC.  I'm going to PM you to see If you can get me some more info on what that entailed.

myk

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 17, 2015, 03:08:40 PM
I just bought the proform 850 DP on Ron's  (Firefighter3931) suggestion for my 500".  Electric choke and mech secondaries. He is helping me dial it in now.  So far it is already far better than the Avenger and we aren't done dialing it in.  I installed a wideband o2 gauge at the same time also on Ron's suggestion.  That thing is worth its weight in gold.  No guessing on rich/lean, or pulling out plugs to check them every 15 minutes.  I lost all summer last year, and half of this year fighting with the Street Avenger and never got it to start as quick and run as cleanly as now, but I didn't have the wideband as a guide yet either. It is 4 corner adjustable where the Avenger is only 2 corner adjustable among many other improvements.  My vote goes hands down to the Proform, and get the wideband o2 also if you can spend the $150 and save yourself some tuning headaches.

The entire wideband kit cost you $150?  Which one was that?  About the most reasonable setup I saw was about $400.  Also, is it a single or dual band?

68charger440

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APSX-D2-Digital-Wideband-O2-AFR-Controller-Gauge-Sensor-Kit-Black-Red-/271946642976?hash=item3f51487620&vxp=mtr
Here you go...but I am now finding that some come with the stuff you need to log it to your PC, so dont make the same mistake as me if you do want to log it; pay the extra 25 bucks for the one that comes with it.

myk

Thanks for the link.  I was looking at this thing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-170402?ibanner=MobileSwitchNo

Can I get by with the cheaper stuff?