News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"TOTAL ****" Rings

Started by Challenger340, April 22, 2015, 05:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Anybody who used the std TOTAL **** file-fit ring offerings in your Engine builds post 2011 up until today, I would like to hear from you. 
Even better if you Dyno'd the Engine !
Would love to hear your experience and how they are working for you ? Mileage ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

cdr

that is what i used, but no dyno & the install of engine should be next week, after that i will let you know how its doing.

charlie
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Is there something wrong with writing TOTAL SEAL?
That IS what you meant, right?

Challenger340

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 25, 2015, 09:39:52 PM
Is there something wrong with writing TOTAL SEAL?
That IS what you meant, right?

No need to write, spoken with them extensively already.
I don't have a problem with them using a Hastings "square cut" Oil Control Ring to save money(cheaper).... my only problem is with their lack of informational exchange to industry so it can keep up ?

I mean Hastings are extensively involved with Car Manufacturer's, so changes/updates are constant and ongoing in "real time" so nobody gets left behind ?

But Total Seal are mainly an aftermarket/racing/specialty ring supplier ?
if they are gonna stuff somebody else's Oil Rings in THEIR kits... and that somebody else made a CHANGE... IMO Total Seal should have an obligation to inform unsuspecting users of the change.

The change happened a few years ago. We never got caught because we found it on the Engine stand during assembly(shadowing), called, phoned, educated and updated our Honing processes. Being a "race" engine shop... that's what we do ! because we charge enough to keep up !
But years later,
we are still seeing Engines come in for repairs/Oil Consumption.... that really through NO fault of the other shop that did them, have issues.

Long story short here, how are other Shops supposed to get informed to compensate ? OSMOSIS ?
Can't blame Customers for buying T.S. Rings in Stroker Kits ?
nor,
for using Shops that only charge $175 to Bore & Hone ?
But I can blame Total Seal for not publishing the Cylinder Honing requirements ON THE BOX or spec sheet they supply WITH THE RINGS !
I mean how hard would that be ?

It ain't MY JOB to have to inform Customers and other Shops when it happens !
And most certainly NOT when their are more "forgiving" Ring choices out there
Only wimps wear Bowties !