News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wing Placement issues

Started by NHCharger, August 19, 2017, 12:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

Might have an issue with the wing. When I bought my clone the previous owner had already installed the wing.
I disassembled the car over a year ago to do the body work. We installed the wing this morning so I could mark out where it sits on the quarters so I can position the stripe correctly.
The outside edge of both wing supports come nowhere close to sitting flush on the quarter.  The other issue is where the wing butts against the supports, the tops touches first and even tightening up the bolt won't draw it closed. I told the wife it seems to me that the bases are spread to far apart. I searched thru the threads here and found two threads (one below) where it mentions that the measurement from the trunk lip to the inner most edge of the wing support is 2-1/8". I have 2-1/2" & 2-5/8"  :eyes:
Would it be ok to just egg out the holes 1/2" towards the trunk ? The car is all painted and I'm afraid if I try to weld in the extra space of the enlarged hole I could bubble the paint- or worse.
I should have known better and checked this before painting the car. Everything else on this car was half-assed or jury rigged.  :brickwall: :brickwall:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,118687.0.html
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

charger chris

I'm not a pro or any thing. But my be the last owner put the wing together in three pieces. And the center piece being the last part to go in pulled on everything to a tights fit. I would Measure every thing  and measure everything on the car too.
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

DAY CLONA

Quote from: NHCharger on August 19, 2017, 12:48:12 PM
Might have an issue with the wing. When I bought my clone the previous owner had already installed the wing.
I disassembled the car over a year ago to do the body work. We installed the wing this morning so I could mark out where it sits on the quarters so I can position the stripe correctly.
The outside edge of both wing supports come nowhere close to sitting flush on the quarter.  The other issue is where the wing butts against the supports, the tops touches first and even tightening up the bolt won't draw it closed. I told the wife it seems to me that the bases are spread to far apart. I searched thru the threads here and found two threads (one below) where it mentions that the measurement from the trunk lip to the inner most edge of the wing support is 2-1/8". I have 2-1/2" & 2-5/8"  :eyes:
Would it be ok to just egg out the holes 1/2" towards the trunk ? The car is all painted and I'm afraid if I try to weld in the extra space of the enlarged hole I could bubble the paint- or worse.
I should have known better and checked this before painting the car. Everything else on this car was half-assed or jury rigged.  :brickwall: :brickwall:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,118687.0.html

Like I mentioned in the thread you list, wings will vary among the various repro mfg's offerings, so templates and assorted measurements from individuals will not be helpful, but the first place to start regardless of the wing used, is the measure the rear cords (trailing edge) a FACTORY wing is generally 60" on center to center, but depending on the center section that will change the dimensions, on a Daytona you want the cords straight top to bottom, so the center to center has to be the same top to bottom....see what you have first?

charger chris

Quote from: DAY CLONA

Like I mentioned in the thread you list, wings will vary among the various repro mfg's offerings, so templates and assorted measurements from individuals will not be helpful, but the first place to start regardless of the wing used, is the measure the rear cords (trailing edge) a FACTORY wing is generally 60" on center to center, but depending on the center section that will change the dimensions, on a Daytona you want the cords straight top to bottom, so the center to center has to be the same top to bottom....see what you have first?

Ya that what I was trying to say lol.
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NHCharger

OK. That wing has been off and on more than a prom dress in the last 24 hours.
The measurements when I started was 60-5/8" at top, 61-3/8" at the bottom. After carefully enlarging the holes several times the final measurement is 60-1/4" on the bottom. I realize that this means the supports each taper in 3/16" but the wing sits better in that position. The base is fairly snug to the quarter all the way around and where the wing meets the supports the top is no longer touching first.
Talk about killing a day. I now have the quarters marked out with tape for the stripe install.
Thanks for the replies.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

70 sublime

Do you have the gasket that goes between the wing and the top of 1/4 panel ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

NHCharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 20, 2017, 07:58:49 AM
Do you have the gasket that goes between the wing and the top of 1/4 panel ?

Yes.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel