News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve train noise

Started by AmadeusCharger500, June 29, 2015, 06:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Having some noise coming from the right side. It is definitely valve train or a combo with a slight header gasket leak. It is not very loud but it is noticable. The engine is 318 rebuilt 7 years ago, with 1000 miles. I change the oil once a year.
Im going to pull the valve cover and re torque the rocker shaft. Rebuild book says to simply tighten 15ft/lb starting with center working out.
My question so far is simply this.

Is there any concern about piston position when doing this?

scratchinfotraction

no.

if you have the VC off, use a wooden handle to push on each rocker as it is running to see which lifter is ticking.

I have R&R a few flat/roller lifters, tear them down on the bench and clean the gunk out of them. no ticking after that. they will clog up and stop adjusting-going solid with to much clearance = ticking.

IMHO, a header leak will make you chase a valvetrain "tick" and never find it. fix this first. I use copper RTV on manifolds metal to metal and with headers on both side of gaskets. let cure 24 hrs.

if you have the VC off, I suggest R&R the shafts/rockers and have a look at the PR cup and the wear on the shafts.

make sure they are on the shaft in correct order with notch on correct end of shaft/head for oiling and re-install them torque bolts to specs.

AmadeusCharger500

Rockers are so worn its funny

scratchinfotraction

some will be lose and sloppy feeling on the shaft depending on cam cycle per cyl.

are the rocker holes egg shaped with wear? how thin? shafts look worn/scuffed? are the on the shaft in correct order? left/right offsets?  that can be another ticking sound with them.

toss on another used set and let it rip.

I have a bucket of used spare rockers to keep a fair working set in use on my daily driver. lol!

how did the ends of the push rods look?

are they the 5/16" solid rods or the 3/8" replacement rods?

Kern Dog

Scratchy! Frankenduster here!
I have a 360 in a Dart that came from a 76 Dodge truck. When I got the engine, it had 3 inches of sludge goop in the oil pan. I pulled the valve covers to find the same goop everywhere. I figured the engine was a 300,000 mile neglected turd but the cylinders were nice, the rod and main bearings looked good and the cam was okay. I DEgunked everything and put a car oil pan on it. Upon startup, the engine ran great but had LOTS of valve clatter. I pulled the rocker shafts and swapped in a set from a very clean 318 I had. The clatter totally disappeared. I figure that the sludged up condition resulted in excessive wear on either the rocker arms, the shafts or both.

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks everyone. It turns out there were a few in the wrong position, L to R, and the whole set seemed loose with wear. I ordered a stock set from advance, and reinstalled everything, in the correct order this time and it quieted most of the noise down. I think there still might be a lazy lifter not pumping up.. but Im satisfied for them moment.

scratchinfotraction

Glad to hear you got it. :cheers:

Hi Frankenduster,  yep been there before with a 100$ JY teen before.  same deal but went back later to find the shaft almost plugged solid with sludge.  now I am sure to pull the end plugs and clean out the shaft ID. I was wide eyed to see the inside of a lifter packed solid with gritty sludge and how well it worked after a cleaning.

one of the first things I check when a VC come off is for correct L&R rocker positions on the shaft and make sure the shaft notch is correct for oiling.

I also notice that auto parts stores like to give you the 3/8 chebby push rod and not the 5/16" solid mopar rods when replacing them.