News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior Install

Started by comet_666, July 18, 2015, 08:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Have a few questions on the 69 interior install.

Rear window shark teeth things. I think I understand how they go in but could not get the black "T" things to turn and lock it in. Are these screwed in first?
The side shark teeth on the rear window having same issue with.

Plastic door vapor barrier. Can I just use any plastic? Is it glued on? Also what should it not cover up?

Rear upper door pad supports. There is a left and right, anyone have a pic of how they go in? Matching up screw holes only works when there aren't extras there   ;)

And last..what is this? pic attached

green69rt

Is the angle piece all covered in zinc, no polished surfaces?   I could't find anything in my parts that looked like that.   Did you take it off the car or did it arrive loose?  Other Mopars use different hardware to hang the upper door pads, maybe it is for another model of car?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: comet_666 on July 18, 2015, 08:54:07 AM
Have a few questions on the 69 interior install.

Rear window shark teeth things. I think I understand how they go in but could not get the black "T" things to turn and lock it in. Are these screwed in first?
The side shark teeth on the rear window having same issue with.

Plastic door vapor barrier. Can I just use any plastic? Is it glued on? Also what should it not cover up?

Rear upper door pad supports. There is a left and right, anyone have a pic of how they go in? Matching up screw holes only works when there aren't extras there   ;)

And last..what is this? pic attached

Holds the lower rear window trim. Inside, Rear parcel shelf slides under it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

comet_666

Sweet! Any ideas on what screws go in there?

Charger-Bodie

Same style as the ones that hold the upper door pad plates.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

comet_666

My next question was what screws hold those on lol.

BananaDan

For the vapor barrier, I took the advice of Bill440RT and used hardware store plastic sheeting. I can't remember the name of the tacky stuff I used to adhere the plastic sheet but I should have a box in my basement. I can check tonight.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

comet_666

Ok, and I saw in the manual how it installs. Does the back also get the plastic?

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

comet_666

Pulled this off GYC. Shows how this rear upper bracket is attached. Manual does not really get a good look at it.

comet_666

Now if I could zoom in and see the screws...guess ill use whatever fits.

keepat

They are 5/8" long #8 pan heads.
I hope this helps!
Pat

comet_666

BananaDan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

comet_666

Ah ha!
Thanks BananaDan !

HeavyFuel

HeavyFuel

When you attach the plastic, be sure to tuck the bottom into the horizontal slot in the side panel, which will prevent water from shedding into your interior.

comet_666

Oh man thanks HeavyFuel! These pics really help!

HeavyFuel

Those clips that hold the 'shark teeth' strip are kinda weird.   You just open them up a little bit with a flat tip screwdriver or something after putting the strip in place.

I also found a better pic of the rear trim piece and how it works with the corner.

comet_666

Oh great pics! I messed around with that area and was slightly baffled.
Thanks a million!

comet_666

Pics were a huge help!  Thanks all!
Re mounted seats today to try and figure out where I want shifter.

comet_666

Also was getting a rough idea for my 3 point retractable XV seat belts.

comet_666

Short end of seat belt that mounts to the hump does not seem to make it around the buddy seat. Reached out to XV for guidance on that.

comet_666

I unboxed my interior door panels and noticed they need some work? Looks like I have to cut all the holes out for the door handles and clips?
For damn near $500 this should have been already done.

comet_666

Installed rear panels las night, what a freaking pain in the ass. They have to slide under the chrome trim so you cant put clips on the top. The Legendary door panels ...well lets just say when prepping them I was told to pull the little cardboard plugs all the way out till the white foam, then put the clips in. Well some clips will buldge out the doop panel so I guess you just deal with it. Also the upper pads, the screw hole facing the door jamb is slightly off and does not look correct. These are the origional pads but not the origional door jamb or quarter.

68pplcharger

Looking good I'm going through this step on my 68 right now.  :cheers:

comet_666

One step forward 3 steps back, that is how this is going. Put rear carpet in and..it is a foot too long on each side. Yes 12 inches on each side! I called CI and said what's the deal with this OER carpet. They said it needs "Extensive" modification. Do all carpets need "Extensive" modification? I think this may be headed back to CI and I'll get one from YO. Thoughts?
Ok, so scrap the carpet idea for now. Lets put the front door panels on. No problem except that the lock rod that goes through the top of the door panel so you can lock and unlock the door is angled back and bent. On both sides. Are they supposed to be bent or straight? Ok, moving on. Door panels go on OK after modifying the new CI clips, they were too loose. Put my new chrome lock ferrells in and they are too loose and keep falling out. Old ones fit perfect so I'll use those and send the new chrome ones back to..yes CI. Lets try to put the new chrome lock buttons on..oh they slip right over the lock rod and the old ones fit fine. Back to CI those go. (yes I verified the correct part numbers from them)
Let's put on the new armrests! I grab the bases..oh, why are these not chrome? oh well let's see how the armrest fits..... screws go in..nothing to screw to! wooo! My AMD doors do not have the appropriate holes in them for the armrest to bolt to!  Not even sure where to start trying to fix that. This car and these shit parts are killing me.

comet_666

Another shot

comet_666

Not sure whats wrong with my camera but...

VegasCharger

Quote from: comet_666 on August 25, 2015, 08:52:50 AM
Installed rear panels las night, what a freaking pain in the ass. They have to slide under the chrome trim so you cant put clips on the top. The Legendary door panels ...well lets just say when prepping them I was told to pull the little cardboard plugs all the way out till the white foam, then put the clips in. Well some clips will buldge out the doop panel so I guess you just deal with it. Also the upper pads, the screw hole facing the door jamb is slightly off and does not look correct. These are the origional pads but not the origional door jamb or quarter.

Interesting, you mean that the Legendary door panels rectangular clip cutouts are filled? (see my pic red circle). If so that's terrible paying that much for door panels and having to complete the labor that Legendary couldn't do.

comet_666

Exactly. they included a bent nail to remove the cardboard.

BananaDan

That is the way my Legendary panels came as well.  :yesnod:  

Regarding the carpet, yes, mine came over-sized too. They do that so you can trim it to fit. I just had a pair of heavy duty serrated scissors from Home Depot and after the carpet was in and laid down for a couple of days I started trimming as I was ready to put in the pieces that hold it down and cut the hole for the shifter area. Do the cuts last so you're sure you don't cut too much in any one spot, and do many small cuts so you don't over-trim. Also, you want to make sure you have the front carpet up enough. The gas pedal base should sit in the upper-right corner of the plastic mat that's built into the carpet where your feet go. I don't know if I shared this with you before, but here is my interior resto thread over at the 70 Charger Registry site. I have lots of pictures in there. Oh, and the Year One carpet will be the same. It's fine, that's how it is with carpets unless you want to buy a cut/formed exact fit carpet from ECS for 2x-3x the cost which isn't worth it in my opinion.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=179.0

Regarding the arm rest screws, they screw into spring clips that clip into the inner door panel (the metal frame, not legendary panel).  You can get them at R/T Specialties. The arm rest bases should definitely be chrome, you got the wrong ones. The right ones can be had at R/T Specialties, MegaParts, Herb's, Dante's etc.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=1000239

Be careful when screwing in your arm rests. If you push too hard on the screws you will pop those spring clips out and they'll fall into the inner area of the door and you'll have to pull your door panels off to get them and put them back in place. I know from experience. Oh, yes, I just led to the bad news. You have to remove all of your lower door panels (front and back) that you have already installed to put these clips in. Sorry.  :pity:

Did you buy new seat back covers (plastic) from Legendary? They look great but wait until you have to install them. You think you're having fun now?  :smilielol:

BananaDan

Also, the bottom of your inner door frame that is currently painted blue to match your exterior, it should be painted white to match your interior color. And yes, you'll want the lower door panels off for that task also so do it now if you're going to do it. I had to correct it after I had the interior done. You don't want to be pulling those new expensive door panels off and on of your car too many times like I did so my advice is to do it now.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=955.msg9659#msg9659

comet_666

These bad boys?    http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=1000239

I think I'll invest in a door panel remover  http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/y35350.html

My paint guy needs to paint the door bottom to match the door panel, he will do that next spring.

The entire interior other than lower panels and headliner that is not installed yet I dyed. When I get some $ I'll actually get the legendary Ralley seat covers and do the front and back.

BananaDan

comet_666

Ordered the clips, thanks guys!

comet_666

Trimmed carpet, installed modified rear seat..going well.