News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anybody got an Ant problem?

Started by IBsmokin, August 08, 2005, 07:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IBsmokin

these dam Ants, I woke up this morning and pour myself a huge bowl of corn pops, dumped in the milk and when I went to take a bite I looked down and see about 30 dead ants in my bowl.   Well that just ruined the whole got to have my pops experience.
I have tried ant hotels, liquid ant killer, and thee varmants keep coming back!!!!!

charger Downunder

Thank God their not in the Dodge.
[/quote]

charger490

get yourself a couple of boxes of 20 mule team borax and pour it all around your house close to the foundation but away from the flowers.also get some bounce that you use in the dryer and put them around your house and in your cars to keep mice and bees away .works great  charger490

Charger_Fan

Since the ants seem to have taken over your kitchen, go eat outside. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger4404spd

Yeah I had that problem once. A sweet old lady told me how to get rid of them. Go get a bottle of "Terro". Most CO-Ops or hardware stores carry it. You basicaly put a couple drops in several locations, the ants come to the party, eat like mad and carry the poison back to their nest. You will probably have to do this a couple times to get rid of all of them, but that stuff works really well.

John_Kunkel

Timely post. I, too, woke up this morning to a "moving" kitchen countertop.

First attack this year, they come in around the window frames; I've caulked every visible opening and they just find another one somewhere. Grrrrr!!!
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BigBadCharger

Same thing is happening to me right now. Our kitchen cink is full of ants and I can't seem to get rid of them. Very annoying.
How's your wife and my kids?

BigBlackDodge

Ants.............................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Can't get ride of the lil buggers! They are infested in the trees around the house, they make their nests in the spanish moss clumps, hundreds of 'em! I'm going insane! (yeah, did the Terro thing..........I can't afford the gallons it would take to wipe them out :icon_smile_dissapprove:). I need a nuclear bomb version of ant killer. :scratchchin:

Worst of all they love the cars. I keep a pretty clean vehicle.....no food left behind on the inside. But the outside? Yep...........they love the bug splats on the grille, radiator....etc. They even like to crawl all over the roof, hood and trunk..............just wandering around looking for something to do or eat :icon_smile_question:

The only good news is that they're not fire ants..........ouch...........they're the little black sugar ants.

:smash:..........thats me............smashin ants.

BBD

psykicpup

try to find where they are getting in the house ans block those place up you'll prob have to this every yr for the next couple yrs as they will find new ways & make sure you put the ant killer ( which ever yoiu chose) close to the nest/s or likely nests...
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

mustanghater

1-800-get-a-new-house joking
try ridex it does wonders
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Brock Samson

at my place they eat the caulking in the bathroom and kitchen and come in that way.. they even come thru the electrical outlets!..
maybe we should get mustanghater to post on their website...  :icon_smile_big:

Drache

Surround your house with honey! :-D
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

73dodge

First off if you have dead trees within 50' of your house get rid of them, ants will migrate from the dead tree to your house.

Here's what I did

remove the wood pile that was too close to the house

got about 1/2 dozen ant traps and put them sround the kitchen and find where they are going to put them in their path.

Went to Home Depot and got the stuff that you spread around the foundation of your house and sprinkled it all around the house.

Then after that I went and got sevin dust and sprinkled that around the house

took about 3 days and no more ants
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

694spdRT

So far I have not had a problem this year at home.

We manage apartments though and that has been the complaint of choice lately though. The dry weather is a big factor.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Chargerguy74

Ok, been there. You need to ask yourself, "are ants really that bad?" Couldn't you and the ants just get along.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Charger_Croatia

Well, I guess nobody likes to spray tons of chemical around the kitchen. One thing worked for me last time. Here I found kind of "Ant Trap", small plastic "ant houses" filled with something which attracts them inside (to feed them). They could go out but not too far and that substance is active in case that they manage to enter their own houses, so it can kill more.

It was easy to put few these things in corners and after a while ants were gone.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Ghoste

I'm glad to find out that not only am I not alone with ant trouble, but that my problem is as bad as some (we don't get fire ants).
We use the drop stuff in the house and the powder stuff outside and that seems to help.  They get in our place mainly through the dryer vent and an electrical outlet near the front of the house.

IBsmokin

its hard for me to use chemicals around my house because I have 3 dogs, so chemicals are out..  maybe Chargerguy74 can come over and nagotiate a peace agreement between my family and the ants?

Old Moparz

I have ants driving me nuts the last few weeks too. I called a few exterminators for prices, & they vary quite a bit. One company will spray inside & out around the foundation for $175 & guarantee it for 6 months. Another one came to the house to look around, & for $250 will do the same with 30 day coverage. The one that advertises on TV called Terminex, quoted me $800  :o  & the kid I spoke to sounded like I was interrupting his Nintendo game or something. I'll just get my own pump sprayer for $15 & do it myself & I have my own guarantee. I'll spray more next month if I see more.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

dodgecharger-fan

If you see them coming in the same place all the time, it's because one has found something good and laid a trail from whatever it is back to the nest.
They all follow it to the goodies.
Clean the area you see them coming from with something like an Orange based cleaner.
They will follow the trail up to the clean area and then not know where to go. Eventually, they will give up on that trail.

If you can find the ant hills in the yard, a cup or two of bleach diluted in a bucket of the hottest water you can safely handle poured over the hills, will kill it off.
It also kills weeds and the grass will come back if it is even affected at all.

I like to do these things when I see the activity and then follow up with the powder around the foundation of the house and a few traps in the likely entry spots. Otherwise, you have to run around all the time with orange cleaner and bleached hot water.

One thing that I had a hard time getting my wife to deal with in regards to the bait traps is that you have to let them get to the traps and take the bait back to the nest or it won't work. She got p.o'd when, after we placed the traps, there seemed to be even more coming in. Well, there was. One found the trap and left a trail for the others to follow back and they all came running. She had placed them well inside the house though. You need to find the entry points and place them there. Then they find the easy pickings and you don't see them in the house.

Do all this and be ready to do it again next year... They will be back.

andy74

i used to work for sears pest control when i was a kid,and we used to use a spray barrier type.if you get a sprayer from home depot,and a quality product(we used talstar)it wont hurt your pets either.spray a barrier about a foot and a half hi,and a foot or so around the foundation.when the ants walk over it,they get it in their system,and then they croak!the other ants eat em,and they croak too!i use it at my house all the time,about 3 times a summer,and havent had a problem since

SeattleCharger

Just go to Petco. and get one of these, took care of my ant problem,

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.