News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

#5 misfire , Lincoln

Started by poppa, April 04, 2017, 10:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

GRoan....now the wife is looking at someone's 03 Lincoln Aviator with a misfire on #5 cylinder. What's the worst case scenario for this?  :shruggy: :brickwall:
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

crj1968

Hmm...if it's like my old Explorer it will have an individual coil per cylinder... you can swap them around if so.

BDF

How many miles on it & does it have the original sparkplugs in it?
May be that simple. Worth a look. :Twocents:
Edit: Sorry, I guess that would be BEST case scenario...

poppa

Thanks for the replies. It has 138000 on it. I guess I'm wondering if it could throw that code if it was something more major ,bad compression , something with valves/cam , etc

Charger_Fan

It's probably just a fouled plug or bad coil. If it was valves/cam related, it would have a different code, because the engine has cam sensors on it.
I have an Aviator & for whatever reason, water periodically collects in my #6 plug hole during the winter and causes a misfire. I assume it's condensation, but have no idea why it's just that hole. It's an easy fix, though.

#5 is the front cylinder on the driver's side, which is also the easiest side to get to. :2thumbs: Here's mine. :)

This is the passenger side, but I'm just showing this so you see what's under the coil cover once it's removed.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Baldwinvette77

coils go on those all the time, i've lost count of how many i've replaced, if you have time, swap the coils on the bad cylinder with a good one and see if the code switches.

poppa

Yeah , she's got a Mustang too , and I spent half the summer changing boots/coils. Install a new one 4 days later same code , different cylinder. lol

BDF

Yes, other things could cause that code but I'd wager it's the plugs. Most people never change them it seems  :slap: and when you pull them they are unbelievably eroded. Ask if they've ever been changed, if not they should be.