News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timmycharger's 68 Resto

Started by timmycharger, August 21, 2015, 07:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I finally got my wheels from Summit and had the tires mounted and balanced. I went with what I had before taking it off the road, mine got rusty in storage so had to buy them again.  :brickwall:

275/60/15 rear on 15x8 wheels.  Fronts are 235/60 on 15x7.  I spent a few hours with soap and water with rags cleaning the front suspension from all of the bodywork dust, touched up a few areas and installed my inner fender shield. Still need a patch for the passenger side so I cant do that one yet. I put in the front inner fender seals along with the plastic k frame shields and the long shield that bolts to the bottom of the frame rail.  Also did the same in the rear end of the car, tons of filler dust that needed to be cleaned.  I ended up using big aluminum rivets to secure the plastic shields.

ht4spd307

hey tim just noticed your door cards the pockets have a little chrome finishing tab on each end is this a 68 thing  :scratchchin:

timmycharger

Quote from: ht4spd307 on April 08, 2017, 09:44:40 PM
hey tim just noticed your door cards the pockets have a little chrome finishing tab on each end is this a 68 thing  :scratchchin:

Good question! I am not sure if it's just on 68s or not, I have seen people omit them on 68 restorations I have seen.  :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: timmycharger on April 09, 2017, 06:28:13 AM

Good question! I am not sure if it's just on 68s or not, I have seen people omit them on 68 restorations I have seen.  :scratchchin:

Yup 68 only. Phased out later in the run. Some 68 had it some didn't.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ht4spd307

yes i thought it may have been a 68 thing as my dad when he worked in the GMH General Motors Holden factory the company would pay employees incentive payments if they could think of things they could remove off a car which in turn stuff like this would save the company millions.On one model the early torana they removed all the front guard bolts and spot welded them on which saved them millions of dollars in bolts but a nightmare for the after market .

timmycharger

Been busy with home projects but have been able to pick away at some small things. I didn't take pics of everything, but since the last update:

Installed the horns and relay

Adjusted the quarter glass on both sides, got them as good as I could get them.

installed rear upper bolster pads and rear panels/chrome.

cleaned up and dyed the door jamb windlace

gave up on looking for a patch panel for my inner fender shield, ended up fabricating a small patch, welded it from the back.

Started on the restoration of the seatbelts. Many years ago I sold my original green set thinking I could easily find a black set. My originals were perfect, except the wrong color, should have kept them  :brickwall:   Instead, I picked up a rough black set a couple of years ago that needed to be re dyed and I finally got to them.  First I washed them a few times with soap and water, let them dry and then used 2 packages of RIT black dye with some boiling water and a few cups of vinegar.  I still have to re paint the buckles so I will post the final results when done, but you can see the process.

birdsandbees

Lookin snazzy!!! Must be getting real good at the glass by now and you're welcome to come up and put mine back in!!  :yesnod: :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

timmycharger

If only I were close by, I would love to! I think I did more research on installing and adjusting the glass than any school paper or work project in my life :icon_smile_big:

TPR

I've probably said this before, but this is one of my favorite threads.
Coming together nicely Timmy!
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

timmycharger

Quote from: TPR on April 24, 2017, 07:19:56 PM
I've probably said this before, but this is one of my favorite threads.
Coming together nicely Timmy!
TPR

Thank you!! :cheers:

timmycharger

Got the seatbelts almost finished, taped off the buckles and put the belts in baggies, shot them with some SEM trim black.  They are not perfect but much better than they were.  I have to sew on the straps for the shoulder belts but I am not sure how long they need to be, any feedback is welcome.

timmycharger

68pplcharger

Looks good I've still got to do that to my cars rear seats. How long did you let the seat belts soak in the RIT dye?

timmycharger

Thanks

I let the water come to a boil, then brought the pot outside since it smells bad with the vinegar, soaked the belts, buckles and all for about 30 minutes while stirring it with a stick to move them all around.  I probably would have left them in longer as they are not super dark black, some have a very dark purple look to them in the sun.  :2thumbs:

68pplcharger

timmycharger

Getting very close to completing the car or at least completing it enough to enjoy it this year.   The interior is now finished, seat belts installed, the carpet trimmed and secure with the kick panels and sill plates put on. The console was screwed into place and all of the interior lights, switches, etc were tested.  My list of what is left to do is down to a handful.

1. adjust torsion bars
2. install stock pinion snubber
3. finish the repairs from the hood mishap, have re painted
4. fix a few minor sags/runs in the clear at the rockers.
5. clean/detail the car
6. get an alignment, have A/C charged

BLK 68 R/T

Very nice, just a handful of things left to do. Then it's..... :drive: time  :icon_smile_big:

timmycharger

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on May 22, 2017, 05:11:33 PM
Very nice, just a handful of things left to do. Then it's..... :drive: time  :icon_smile_big:

Yep! hopefully I can steal a few hours this weekend and knock off a few things off of the list  :cheers:

timmycharger

Couple of new pics of the car in its current state. Still working on the hood repairs but the list is getting shorter for things to complete.  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 09, 2017, 09:05:52 AM
Quote from: timmycharger on April 09, 2017, 06:28:13 AM

Yup 68 only. Phased out later in the run. Some 68 had it some didn't.
my recent find , April 1st car  has them
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

timmycharger

:scratchchin:  I wonder when they started phasing them out, maybe when they just ran out of the supply?

Amazing car by the way, congrats! Love the color, I think mine was the same when new, but my interior was green.

timmycharger

After almost a year of having my hood off the car since having the car painted, I finally finished the repairs and had it painted earlier this week.

I now just have to finish adjusting the valves, get an alignment and an inspection sticker and then its done enough for this year  :cheers:

VegasCharger

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

EDIT (adding): You've come a long way since this day. You know the story, my first P/C desktop Charger picture back in 2000. I somehow feel attached to this car.

:cheers:

timmycharger

Haha Thanks Bryan!! That is still one of my favorite pics.  One of these days I will convert the old 8MM video I have of that burnout contest onto DVD or Youtube  :yesnod:

VegasCharger

Quote from: timmycharger on August 11, 2017, 08:30:58 AM
Haha Thanks Bryan!! That is still one of my favorite pics.  One of these days I will convert the old 8MM video I have of that burnout contest onto DVD or Youtube  :yesnod:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: