News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine paint, exhaust manifold paint

Started by Dino, August 13, 2015, 09:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

A while back I bought a few cans of Duplicolor hemi orange.  Now the engine is out I'm wondering if I should use something else.  I have a compressor and paint gun and I'd like to do his only once and have it be as durable as possible.  Should I go with an acrylic enamel instead and if so which one?  Also what's a good primer for the valve covers and other none cast parts? 

What about HP manifold?  What color should they be and what's the best paint for them?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BLK 68 R/T

I like to prime engines with a product called flash bond 300. You can get it by the quart which will be plenty. It sprays on clear. As for the exhaust manifolds, it depends on the look you are going for. From the factory they were painted along with the rest of the motor. Me, personally, I like to paint them with Eastwood high temp cast iron gray paint. As for the engine paint, I would probably use a acrylic enamel as well. I have had good luck with engine paint from Napa.

Dino

I had no idea they painted them bolted to the engine!  I looked up that cast iron gray and I like it!  That's what I want.  Thanks for the tip on flash bond, I'll give it a shot.   :yesnod:

I found a site yesterday where you can order a quart of orange in acrylic enamel for $39, I forget who it is now.  I'm still shopping though.  I have a few more hours to spend before the engine is stripped of its old paint.  About half is done.

Thanks!   :cheers:

BLK 68 R/T

Good luck on your engine bay freshening up.

tracpack440

Hi for the exhaust manifolds I used a barbeque - stove paint. Got it at Mclendons.  Stove bright brand, High temp. Doesn't burn off or fade. Over 5 years now and still looks the day I painted them.
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

Dino

Quote from: tracpack440 on August 16, 2015, 01:47:45 AM
Hi for the exhaust manifolds I used a barbeque - stove paint. Got it at Mclendons.  Stove bright brand, High temp. Doesn't burn off or fade. Over 5 years now and still looks the day I painted them.

That's a good idea.  I suppose it only comes in black?

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on August 15, 2015, 11:29:17 PM

Thanks!  Should be ready to do minor welding soon, followed by primer.

BLK 68 R/T

Check out page 8 of this thread for engine paint suggestions. Scroll almost to the bottom for the paint info.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95294.0.html

tan top

i used 2 pack paint with matting agent  , when i first painted my engine   ,looked real good ! & imo if your doing a 100 point resto & just take the cars to show etc  pottering about on show fields , that's the way to do it !
having said that ! i did not build my charger with that intention &  as with everything with me , nothing is ever done as in done   ;D  i'm always swapping cams heads  intakes plus other stuff  although not so much now  :scratchchin:  , all that nice paint  soon gets chipped & or dirty ,  plus time consuming to paint  another set of heads / intake  etc , so what i used / use  now is por15  , hemi orange  ,  not the correct color  for our 440s ,   but  mine is  not a 100 point  OEM original resto
its quick  with a brush ,  for the valve covers  , thinned it with lacquer thinner or gunwash & sprayed it on  , no primer ! just  prep the normal way .
takes a bout a week to dry fully  when brushed,   like i say its not the correct color  , but was  just the right stuff for me  :yesnod:

picture below  ,  valve covers water pump housing & block  , painted in por15 12ish  years ago ,  current   heads , ( worked 452s)  painted  8 years  ,  current  weiand intake  6  years ,   thermostat housing 3 years  , cant see in picture  , water pump 6 years  :lol: :P  

http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL_p_47.html

exhaust  manifolds ,   eastwood  manifold paint is good  ,  used it on my original hp manifolds ,    personally  don't think its worth doing ! imo
 have got repop hp manifolds on mine  now  ( long story )   the paint they come in was  hi temp stuff , but soon goes rusty .

as far as I know & WIW  :shruggy:   the factory cast iron exhaust manifold color was what ever color the engine was painted at the factory , then burnt off shortly after  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tracpack440

Quote from: Dino on August 16, 2015, 10:01:34 PM
Quote from: tracpack440 on August 16, 2015, 01:47:45 AM
Hi for the exhaust manifolds I used a barbeque - stove paint. Got it at Mclendons.  Stove bright brand, High temp. Doesn't burn off or fade. Over 5 years now and still looks the day I painted them.

That's a good idea.  I suppose it only comes in black?

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on August 15, 2015, 11:29:17 PM

Thanks!  Should be ready to do minor welding soon, followed by primer.

They have different colors. I used grey color.
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

Cncguy

I really don't think you need primer on an engine, the cast iron is very porous and holds paint well.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on August 14, 2015, 10:59:25 AM
I like to prime engines with a product called flash bond 300. You can get it by the quart which will be plenty. It sprays on clear. As for the exhaust manifolds, it depends on the look you are going for. From the factory they were painted along with the rest of the motor. Me, personally, I like to paint them with Eastwood high temp cast iron gray paint. As for the engine paint, I would probably use a acrylic enamel as well. I have had good luck with engine paint from Napa.

:yesnod:

ODZKing

I used regular hi-temp engine paint, and yes it eventually comes/burns off.  My intake on the 73 is already burned off near the carb.   :scratchchin: I gotta block those ports.
However I did find this stuff and it it awesome!!!! http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sem-16-048 ... Cast Blast. I did the 67 exhaust manifolds in the engine bay.  Used aluminum foil to cover what I didn't want painted they still look good. You actually wait for it to dry then start the engine and let it get hot to finish the job. Still looks good.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Cncguy on August 18, 2015, 04:45:47 AM
I really don't think you need primer on an engine, the cast iron is very porous and holds paint well.

x2   Never primed one yet - neither did the factory. As long as the area is totally clean - the paint sticks well.

I always use the paint from Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson out of a gun.

Color is dead-on and the paint lasts.

I always paint everything the factory did - including the exhaust manifolds.....and leave the bottom of the oil pan basically bare with drips. But I'm sick.  :lol:

Dino

Excellent information and great pics.  Thanks fellas!   :cheers:

I checked the engine paint on Roger Gibson's site and it's not cheap but I do want it to last so unless there's an alternative I'll go with that.

So engine mounts are supposed to be black huh?  Good to know.