News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column collapsed?

Started by suburbanfireman, September 06, 2015, 05:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbanfireman

Well I finally got the charger on the road - to discover that the power steering gearbox is shot. After waiting 2 weeks for the remaufactured gearbox, I commensed with the incrediblely sucky task of removing my starter, header, spark plugs, and loosened my steering column.  Realized that the steering coupler shoe spring was broken, waited another week for it to come in from year one. Putting it all back together today, and had my wife push in on the steering wheel so I could slide the steering shaft into the coupler. She pushed the steering wheel in - but the steering shaft did not push into the coupler!!!  I'm guessing that the plastic shear pins are broken / missing inside the steering column?  It does not appear that they are even available in the aftermarket.  Is it safe to drive without them?  I'm not really in the mood to disassemble the entire steering column.  I've been working on this car for almost a decade - I just want to drive the car before they start salting the roads!
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

Highbanked Hauler

Its a combat repair but you might be able to clamp a couple of pairs of vise grips on the steering shaft near the coupler and and with a hammer drive against the grips and see if it goes back out to the length you need. It may work if it isn't rusted up inside. I did mine that way,long story.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

A383Wing

yup, just tap the center shaft back out to mate up to the steering box....the plastic pins just stop the noise rattle in the column...the pins do not "hold" the shaft from moving

suburbanfireman

Thanks.  :cheers: I'm going to do the vice-grip idea tomorrow.  I hoped to run the car down the track Wednesday night - wanted to make sure it will be safe. I will update you all with my progress.

PS - I probably won't hear the steering column rattle over top of 3" exhaust with flowmaster mufflers!  ;)

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: suburbanfireman on September 06, 2015, 09:41:51 PM
Thanks.  :cheers: I'm going to do the vice-grip idea tomorrow.  I hoped to run the car down the track Wednesday night - wanted to make sure it will be safe. I will update you all with my progress.

PS - I probably won't hear the steering column rattle over top of 3" exhaust with flowmaster mufflers!  ;)

Cool, give er hell.. mine has never been a problem. I wonder it the plastic pins were put in to set the length when the column was assembled ..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

A383Wing

pins are there just to stop the metal to metal rattle of the inner to outer shaft

suburbanfireman

Update - it's back together.  I want to say "thank you" to Highbanked Hauler and A383wing for the help / advice.  (The vice-grip trick worked like a charm!). You both saved me from having a nervous breakdown!  :cheers:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: suburbanfireman on September 10, 2015, 08:22:05 PM
Update - it's back together.  I want to say "thank you" to Highbanked Hauler and A383wing for the help / advice.  (The vice-grip trick worked like a charm!). You both saved me from having a nervous breakdown!  :cheers:

Glad it worked for you. :cheers:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser