News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tire sizes

Started by richard parker, October 07, 2015, 10:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard parker

hey guys so I decided on wheels and figured out the backspacing thanks to you guys and now I'm looking at tires I'd like to go as wide as possible anyone have any suggestions the wheels are 17x9 in the rear and 17x8 up front. Thanks

myk

Have you checked the wheel size sticky/thread at the top of this section?  All sorts of useful information in there.  Pretty sure the backspacing should be 4.5" on all wheels.  These cars don't really use offset numbers, but if you want to look at it that way it's 0, as in zero offset. 

What type of wheel are you planning to buy?  The width of the rear tire can be dictated by the width of your rim.  I think some guys have mounted as big as a 295 in the back without tubbing or rubbing.  Someone please correct me if any of this information is incorrect...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Troy

Offset and backspacing are related - it's just a difference in where the measurement is taken. Wheel widths are measured on the inside edges of the rim where the tire touches. Offset is the relation of the hub mounting surface to the center line of the wheel. Backspacing is the distance from the back outer surface of the wheel to the hub mounting surface. The edges of the rim that touch the tire have some bulk so an 8" wheel is about 9" from outside edge to outside edge. Therefore, 4.5" in from the back is exactly in the center - or 0 offset. On a 9" wheel it will be 5.0".

This formula generally works great on the back of our cars. On the front, you start getting close to suspension and steering components and fenders as the wheel/tire get wider. A larger diameter wheel alleviates some of this (ie. you're not likely to hit the brake components) but the overall diameter of the tire won't be significantly different so there's still lots of things to hit (upper control arms, tie rods, strut rods, frame rails, fender lips, fender braces, etc.).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BLK 68 R/T

Another thing to keep in mind is be sure to check both sides, especially in the rear. Due to differences in manufacturing of the actual car there can be differences from side to side. Measure lots and buy once . For reference my car has 17 x 8 front with 4.5 backspace and rear is 18 x 9.5 with 5 backspace. Depends on who you ask but some say 5.5 inch back space will fit, some say 5.25 and others, like me, are at 5.

richard parker

Thanks guys so what I'm thinking is 17x9 for the rear and 5inch back spacing and 17x8 with 4.5 backspacing for the fronts

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

richard parker

myk

You can do the usual Nitto 555's; anyone who thinks sporty of their car uses them...

richard parker

Quote from: myk on October 16, 2015, 04:02:09 AM
You can do the usual Nitto 555's; anyone who thinks sporty of their car uses them...

any suggestions on tire sizes ? i want as wide as possible and my car is basically stock so no tub or anything

WHITE AND RED 69

245/45 up front and the rear can take a between a 255/45 to a 275/45   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

richard parker

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 16, 2015, 12:50:12 PM
245/45 up front and the rear can take a between a 255/45 to a 275/45   :2thumbs:

thanks i was really hoping to get at least 285 or 295 on the rear lol

WHITE AND RED 69

A 285 would almost fit but the min size to fit that is a 9.5". A 275 will look just as good   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

That's what I'm running, 245 up front on 17x8's and 275 rear on 17x9.5's.  There is room for more but I have to bring my rear wheels out a tad as they have rubbed the inner wheel wells taking a sharp turn onto an incline.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

richard parker

Quote from: Dino on October 16, 2015, 08:29:23 PM
That's what I'm running, 245 up front on 17x8's and 275 rear on 17x9.5's.  There is room for more but I have to bring my rear wheels out a tad as they have rubbed the inner wheel wells taking a sharp turn onto an incline.

Nice!!  Do you have a side picture of your car so I can see how it sits?

richard parker

Quote from: Dino on October 16, 2015, 08:29:23 PM

Also what series tires are you running?  45?

Dino

17x8 with Nitto NT555 245/45 for the front and 17x9.5 with Nitto NT450 275/50 on the back.  I couldn't get matching tires in these sizes but they're similar enough and I really like them.  I do drive in the rain and at near freezing temps.  There's about a 2" dfference in tire height giving me the rake I wanted.

Dino

richard parker

Quote from: Dino on October 16, 2015, 08:51:00 PM
17x8 with Nitto NT555 245/45 for the front and 17x9.5 with Nitto NT450 275/50 on the back.  I couldn't get matching tires in these sizes but they're similar enough and I really like them.  I do drive in the rain and at near freezing temps.  There's about a 2" dfference in tire height giving me the rake I wanted.

Love it!!  That looks bad ass I think I will go with the same spec tires.  Beautiful car my friend

Dino

myk

I need to get a wider rear wheel... ::)

crj1968

That looks great Dino. ...would the rear rub if lowered?  Thanks!

Dino

Quote from: crj1968 on October 31, 2015, 09:43:02 PM

That looks great Dino. ...would the rear rub if lowered?  Thanks!

Thanks!  I don't think it will, there's enough room to lower the car.  The wheels only rub the inner fender when taking that sharp turn on an incline, and it's very light.  Basically the raised letters smooth out some of the undercoating without cutting through it.  I doubt that lowering it would make it worse.  I've had 400 pounds of humans in the back without isues.   :icon_smile_big:

I'm still getting spacers though, I want those rear wheels as close to the fender lip as I can, for looks more than anything.

Quote from: myk on October 17, 2015, 03:57:28 AM
I need to get a wider rear wheel... ::)

Nothing wrong with your wheels there buddy.   :2thumbs:

myk

245's are too thin for the back.  I'd be good with your 275's...

Kern Dog

I went with a 295-45-18 rear on a 10" wide rim. There is room for more with some careful measuring.

Kern Dog

I just bought a new set of Nitto NT01 tires. Their treadwear rating is 200 so they should be pretty sticky compared to the 555s I have on the car now.

crj1968

Thanks for the info Dino.

Nice looking ride there too Kern.    :2thumbs: