News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody ever tried FI Tech fuel injection?

Started by Rubberduck, October 28, 2015, 07:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Well i'm not enjoying it just yet since i'm still waiting for my fuel command center to get here. I emailed fi tech to see if they had any in stock since I ordered mine from jegs and it has been backordered for over a month now. I decided to go straight to the manufacturer to see if I can order one there. Getting anxious to see how it works out!!!

JR

If you can spring a couple of hundred bucks more, you can skip the wait for the fuel control.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=484/category_id=146/mode=prod/prd484.htm

I think I ended up spending somewhere around 500 bucks for a complete tank/sending unit/pump assembly, plus the AN hoses and fittings. Not that much more than the fuel control, really.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

69wannabe

I would go with that option if I haven't just bought a new fuel tank a few years back. I'm not in a big hurry so I will just wait on the fuel command center to show up. Just anxious to hear it run with a throttle body and not have it burn my eyes when i'm standing behind it while it's idiling!!!!

69wannabe

The fuel command center is on the way from jegs and should be here next week sometime!! It's gonna be really crappy weather wise here next week and the wife just had a knee replacement surgery so i'm gonna give it a week or so for the weather to warm up maybe and let her get to moving around a little better before I get back out to the shop to get the fuel command center mounted and plumbed in.

xoman60

Good luck with yours 69wannabe. I finished installing mine last week. The push lock connectors for the fuel lines really kicked my ass. First time I've used those so I didn't realize how hard they are to get on.

69wannabe

Quote from: xoman60 on February 06, 2016, 08:23:07 PM
Good luck with yours 69wannabe. I finished installing mine last week. The push lock connectors for the fuel lines really kicked my ass. First time I've used those so I didn't realize how hard they are to get on.

Have you got it up and running yet?? Yeah I figured them push lock connectors will be tough to get on but I am hoping my idea that I have may make it easier to get those together. I have read that putting the end of the hose in warm/hot water will make it softer and get it on the fittings better. I still got to form my vent line and mount the pump when it arrives. At least all the wiring is done and all I have to do is hook up the hot wire for the fuel pump and run a ground wire and plumb in the fuel lines to the throttle body. I am liking all the positive reviews of these set ups and that really sold it for me. Once I get mine all hooked up I sure hope I will be able to add my name to the good review list!!!

69wannabe

Got my fuel command center this week but had such a bad toothache I didn't get to work on the charger much at all. Finally got the tooth out thursday (thank god) and had a pretty day friday but had to drag my sister's dodge truck in that died with a bad fuel pump. Got the gas tank dropped down friday and got the pump swapped out but I broke the plastic fuel line and had to order one from dodge. Got the new line yesterday and got it on and the tank back up in it and got it going again. I did get the command center mounted and I have to get it plumbed in and I will be close to getting it up and running again. I was picking at the push lock hose and fitting just to see how that is going to go and the way I did it was I had a male #6 fitting that I put into the vise and screwed the fitting on and snugged it up for stability then greased the fitting a little bit and took the hose and held it close to the kerosene heater I had on and warmed the end of the hose up til it was warm and soft to the touch and pushed it on there pretty easy. I put the 45 degree fitting on one end and a 90 on the other end just to see if it was really that easy and both went really good so maybe this will be fine.after it cooled off it really seemed to be locked on there so maybe this week I can get all my  fuel hoses on and run the vent line.

garner7555

Awesome.  Look forward to hearing about it   :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

SRT-440

If your making AN fuel lines (Like Russell hoses)..take the hose and dip the end that the AN fitting goes on down into boiling water..pull the hose out and before it cools off slid the AN barb in the hose..it goes on sooo much easier. NOTE: don't burn yourself with the boiling water  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

JR

Good advice.

I'd also recommend getting a pair of these cable cutters from harbor freight.  They cut thru the hose like butter, and don't leave any jagged edges.

http://m.harborfreight.com/28-inch-cable-cutters-6649.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

69wannabe

Quote from: SRT-440 on February 17, 2016, 09:34:58 AM
If your making AN fuel lines (Like Russell hoses)..take the hose and dip the end that the AN fitting goes on down into boiling water..pull the hose out and before it cools off slid the AN barb in the hose..it goes on sooo much easier. NOTE: don't burn yourself with the boiling water  :2thumbs:

I got my hoses made today and all hooked up. Just put a little bit of grease on the fittings and warmed the end of the hose up by holding it close to the kerosene heater in my shop and it slid on pretty easy. I am just now getting time to get back out there and get some stuff done on it. Got the pump mounted the other day but where I mounted it seemed to flex a bit more than I expected. I dug and found a bracket and modified it behind the fuel pump to make it more stable and solid. Got the mechanical pump plumbed into the command center and got the throttle body high pressure line on today too. Still got to make the vent line, get the radiator bolted back in, and the alternator back on. Getting closer a little bit at a time, it's been so crappy here weather wise lately and other thing's going on I just haven't had time to get out there and do much on it. Beside's that me and winter time do not get along good at all!!!! I am ready for it to get warmer and for the time to change back!!! Come on march and april!!!!

69wannabe

A really nice day today but didn't really get home early as I had wanted to but still got the vent line ran from the filler tube up to the front of the car. It isn't perfect but it looks pretty good considering I am not the best with tubing. I am going to try and get some pic's posted so yall can see what its looking like. I been dreading the vent line but after an hour or so it was on and done, got the radiator back in today too. Was worn out after a 10 hr day at work and a few more on the charger so after that I called it quit's for today. Had tool's and crap scattered all over the shop and my work table was not even usable so I decided to pick up and put up all the tools and clean off the table. After getting the shop looking better I noticed the sub frame connectors leaning up against the wall that I bought this time last year!! ::) I guess since the car is up on jack stands I could go ahead and install those and get that out of the way too!!! Had thought about taking a day off tomorrow and staying home and getting the charger up and running but our parts manager beat me to it. When he takes a day off I have to fill in for him since nobody else knows how to run the parts dept except for me and him so if he is ever out I get stuck with it.

garner7555

Awesome to hear the progress!  I have a FiTeck EFI and command center but my car is totally dismantled and I won't get to test drive it for a year or so.  Drive that thing over to Alabama and let me check it out when you get finished.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

69wannabe

Quote from: garner7555 on February 18, 2016, 10:06:58 PM
Awesome to hear the progress!  I have a FiTeck EFI and command center but my car is totally dismantled and I won't get to test drive it for a year or so.  Drive that thing over to Alabama and let me check it out when you get finished.   :2thumbs:

Where in Alabama are you located? I used to go to collinsville every now and then for trade day but I haven't been in a long time. I am anxious to see how it runs and nervous at the same time!!! I have read the directions over and over so everything should be exactly the way it's supposed to be. 

garner7555

I'm right on the AL/GA line where i20 crosses the line.  I was just kidding about bringing it over, I'm sure you are busy and have better things to do, although you would always be welcome it you did pass through.   :2thumbs:   I'm sure you will love the setup as much as everyone else loves it that I have read about.   :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

69wannabe

Quote from: garner7555 on February 19, 2016, 01:05:30 PM
I'm right on the AL/GA line where i20 crosses the line.  I was just kidding about bringing it over, I'm sure you are busy and have better things to do, although you would always be welcome it you did pass through.   :2thumbs:   I'm sure you will love the setup as much as everyone else loves it that I have read about.   :yesnod:

That's not a bad ride, hoping to get some test driving done soon!! I got a little more done on it yesterday, got the passenger side sub frame connector in and bolted up. Not a horrible job but it kinda sucked too!! I am gonna drop the exhaust down on the driver side so I can drill it a little bit straighter since I had a hard time getting the holes lined up on the passenger side. I will most likely weld them up later anyway but atleast they will be in place.  I am going to double check my vent line to make sure I haven't kinked the line anywhere and that the tank vent is open. Once I get that done and I will put it back on the ground and get the rest of it together. Was going to do some more on it today but had a couple of oil changes to do on my son's and daughter's jeep's and got some bad new's about my little cousin losing his battle with cancer today and wasn't really feeling like tinkering with the charger today. Maybe I will have it going by next weekend!!!

1974dodgecharger

I saw this and they now make one for roots blowers supports up to 1k hp, WOW and price is 2k...my 2 carbs alone cost 1800 damn it.......

69wannabe

I finally got the other subframe connector on there and checked to make sure everything was good on the vent line that I ran. Just wanted to be sure I didn't kink it but it all seemed open all the way to the filler tube. I also checked the factory vent tube to be sure it was not blocked and it was good too. Got the alternator and fan and belts back on it and filled it up with coolant. I was running the ground for the fuel pump and could hear a drip,drip,drip. Crap I had a leak, looked like it was a fitting for the heater hose so I pulled it back loose and removed the fitting and it looked fine so I cleaned it and put thread sealer on it and put it back in and put more coolant in and still dripping. It was the hose that had a bad spot on it. I cut the end off of the hose and put it back on and tightened it up and no more leak thank goodness. I really need to replace those heater hoses but for now I just wanted to see if it was going to run. After getting the wiring fixed up for the fuel pump I left the positive wire off and spun the engine over a few times to prime up the command center. Hooked up the positive wire and plugged in the screen and done the set up for the throttle body setting. I had to spin it over a couple more times and then it hit and kinda fluttered, turned it back off and back on again and it started up and begin to run. It wasn't very smooth at first but it was running. The throttle body almost sounded as it had a huge vacuum leak as it was whistling but after a few mins it seemed to get better and better. Must of just had to get all the air purged out of the injectors and get kinda adjusted to the engine but after a few mins of it warming up it seemed to run pretty good. I let it run awhile and let it kinda get tuned in and it does rev really good and I turned it off and started it up a couple of times and it starts good so far too so maybe in a day or so I will take it for a drive and see how it does on the street. It was late and dark tonight and I was just glad to hear it run!!

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

igozumn

Quote from: 69wannabe on February 28, 2016, 10:15:02 PMI really need to replace those heater hoses

I've got my instrument cluster out for the ammeter to voltmeter upgrade as well as prepping for my Fitech installation.  While under the dash, I looked at the short piece of heater hose in the A/C box.  Need to replace it because it feels almost plastic.  Only a matter of time before it blows, LOL. 
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69wannabe

Quote from: Troy on March 01, 2016, 06:03:08 PM
Oooh look! A sale:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,122708.0.html

Troy

Of course a sale!! Normal for there to be a sale after I just bought it at regular price!!! LOL

igozumn

Hottest product on the market right now, can barely keep them in stock, and they're offering a rebate? 

But yeah.  Would have liked to have saved $100. 
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

RCCDrew

igozumn

I removed this the other day, never to return.

Today, the conversion officially started.