News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone have a quarter that is too long?

Started by toqwik, April 04, 2006, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toqwik

My new quarter fits pretty good except where the lower quarter meets my new trunk extensions.  and my trunk extensions are in line with my wheelwells and the rear valence.  it even fits good where the lower quarter meets the wheelwell and extension, just way off where the valence corner goes.  The bumber recess pocket also lines up.  Any ideas????

mopar_madman

1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Troy

I've heard of the repro quarters being too long which is why many people leave the door jambs, upper quarter line, and several inches of the rear of the car intact and only put the new piece in the center (end to end). There was an article in one of the magazines and they showed how to cut around the marker lights so you don't have to figure out another reference point. If you cut it like that the only think that has to line up is the center body line and wheelwell. Of course, if the car is wasted in the very rear (corner caps and valence) this could be tricky.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

My body guy did as Troy described, leaving the outer portion of the original quarter intact (except for the bottom and the back) and cutting the new quarter to fit the hole. He also bought a quarter that was '68-specific so there was no guessing as to the location of the marker light hole, rather than using those generic, one-size-fits-all 2nd gen quarters. I believe they made the front match first and then cut the back of it off to fit.

694spdRT

I cut the rear off and left the original in back also. The quarter to valance corners are far from a good fit even doing it that way though.   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bull

Quote from: 694spdRT on April 05, 2006, 11:05:53 PM
I cut the rear off and left the original in back also. The quarter to valance corners are far from a good fit even doing it that way though.   

Yea, my body guy actually had to add metal onto the repro valance corners to make them look right and then there was still a gap. He used some sort of filler (not bondo) to make the gap between the quarter and valance corner make them look like they fit. He did the same thing to his show Charger because, as he says, none of those valance corners fit like they're supposed to.

Aussiemadonmopars

:o Wow, you guys have the exact same problem as I had last week. I was going to post something here too but I thought it might be just us  :-X. My body man managed to re-form the metal by cutting incisions and bending it back, hammered it into shape. We didn't have the luxury of just cutting the panel off before the corner because there was no corner  :o. I needed a new tail panel, valance corners, rear cross member behind the tail panel, trunk extensions then the rear quarter panels. Sound familiar?

Here's what I had before.