News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For the charger

Started by 1974dodgecharger, November 08, 2015, 01:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass

Forged pistons would be better for boost too.

69wannabe

Looking at the chart this is why the guy at dyer's blower's had us build the 440 with 7.5 to 1 compression with 8 lbs of boost. Like skip say's at 4 lbs of boost you will be pushing the 383 pass the point of rescue. If you plan on a blower you have to build the engine for it. My buddy had a pile of money tied up in his 440/blower build, IMO for a few more thousand bucks he could have a nice 528 hemi with alot less problems. Great chart skippy, I knew someone on here would have some good info on this blower stuff. I hope this guy isn't just trying to make a sale and toast your engine after a short run time....

skip68

:cheers:  years ago I had a crazy idea of doing a blower on my 440.  A guy had a complete setup for sale cheap but my motor was around 10.5 to 1 and he said I'll blow the motor.   I think it was cudaken here that's done some blowers and had some bad issues if I remember correctly.   I did research and pretty much the common consensus is compression ratio needs to be 7 to 8-1.    Just want you to be careful, not trying to discourage you.     :cheers:   
Do your own research and education on blowers.   Don't just listen to one guy.    :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

69wannabe

Just as you say, don't just listen to one person!! Do some research and know the do's and do not's on this blower thing. I am no blower professional at all, i am very old school when it comes to charger's and a good cam, carb and distributor is what I can usually work well with. Hate to see someone trying to get some more out of their engine and blow it all to pieces and you will spend double the cash to start over. More cubic inches makes good dependable power without power adder's. Blower's,supercharger's,turbo's, and nitrous will make crazy power and torque but if your engine isn't built exactly for it then the engine's life will be very short i'm afraid. I really wasn't impressed with my buddy's charger he had all that stuff on and in the summer time he couldn't keep it from running hot and it just didn't perform as he expected. A strong built 500 inch stroker RB would have dusted that thing sad to say. It looked cool tho.....

1974dodgecharger

Well like I said I talked to a guy who had 10.5 to 1 ran it for 8 years in 5lbs of boost had 800hp in his 383.  Almost same build as mine but my compression is lower than his......

It be interesting......

If anything goes it will by Pistons ring lands.....KB Pistons website saids the hypertetenitc pistons will hold for boost, but will blow on detonation immiedaitely not as forgiving as forged.   I asked around about hypers vs forged under detonation everyone saids same thing under detonination forged holds better, but then I asked who drives around with constant detonation? I guess it's common?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargd72

You don't have to be 7-8 to 1 when running a supercharger.  If you're in the 9 range you can run 8lbs all day.  I've seen this chart posted a couple time lately and though it is a good reference guide, it is not just about the compression itself.  There are a lot more variables to consider that play a role in detonation.  Timing, air temperature, fuel type, octane level, meth injection, alky....  Turbos require a much lower compression ratio (around 7-8 to 1) because they produce a lot more heat than a supercharger.  Even with an air cooler.  If you can keep air at a somewhat ambient state with your blower you will be fine.  I'm building my 9 to 1 motor to handle 10-12 lbs of boost with a centrifugal supercharger and an air cooler.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: chargd72 on November 14, 2015, 03:44:42 PM
You don't have to be 7-8 to 1 when running a supercharger.  If you're in the 9 range you can run 8lbs all day.  I've seen this chart posted a couple time lately and though it is a good reference guide, it is not just about the compression itself.  There are a lot more variables to consider that play a role in detonation.  Timing, air temperature, fuel type, octane level, meth injection, alky....  Turbos require a much lower compression ratio (around 7-8 to 1) because they produce a lot more heat than a supercharger.  Even with an air cooler.  If you can keep air at a somewhat ambient state with your blower you will be fine.  I'm building my 9 to 1 motor to handle 10-12 lbs of boost with a centrifugal supercharger and an air cooler.

awesome to hear....im running methanol injection also  :icon_smile_big: