News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stipulations for owning a Wingcar?

Started by 500Jon, November 25, 2015, 06:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Hi AeroFolks,

I heard it alot over the years, ''Who has the right to own a Wingcar?'' :scratchchin:
Well back in 1969 and 1970, I suppose anyone who had $4000...

How many original owners were ONE-CAR families?
How many were PURE investment buyers only?

As another Birdy nears its 20 year resto here in the UK, how will it be received?
'John' the owner, has had a Birdy before so I suppose he has a right of ownership...
One if the few remaining in LimeyLand!

What about the lotto winner who knows nothing about Wingcar history, how would we feel if he buys a restored Birdy,,, just cos he can!!! :popcrn:

These guys didn't care about taste and originality, they just did their OWN-THING!!! :horse: :horse: :horse:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

b5blue

That pic makes my brain hurt. All I can think of is "Super Chicken." You'll see it at the first few seconds of this cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKss2pBYQ6Y

wingcar

Quote from: 500Jon on November 25, 2015, 06:07:46 AM
Hi AeroFolks,

I heard it alot over the years, ''Who has the right to own a Wingcar?'' :scratchchin:
Well back in 1969 and 1970, I suppose anyone who had $4000...

What about the lotto winner who knows nothing about Wingcar history, how would we feel if he buys a restored Birdy,,, just cos he can!!! :popcrn:

"The RIGHT to own a Wingcar?  Anyone that can afford the asking price has the "right".....anybody that would udder such a phase is an idiot.  While, I would like to see all muscle cars in the hands of owners that truly appreciate them....that's not how the real world works.  Money talks...just look at what people pay for cars at the various auto auction's.   Many of those buying these cars wouldn't give them a second look if they were not worth they are today....
As for the lotto winner that buys a wingcar.....it's his money to do with what he wants.  I have no problem with it. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

Who has the "right" to own anything?  If you have the money, you have the privilege.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

500Jon

When all the Wingcars are owned by rich Millionaero's, who may or may not have the 'RIGHT' to own them, we can start the Rebellion!!! :2thumbs:

odcics2

Quote from: 500Jon on November 26, 2015, 06:32:22 AM
When all the Wingcars are owned by rich Millionaero's, who may or may not have the 'RIGHT' to own them, we can start the Rebellion!!! :2thumbs:

Nice 500!

I like the T/A  "fender scoops" ! 

Obviously, for tire clearance!   :smilielol: 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

The price to own one of these cars is not likely to be sustainable over the coming decades.   As the boomers age out, there will be more and more cars available.    Those young enough and willing to wait it out will have their chance.   

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on November 26, 2015, 12:26:15 PM
The price to own one of these cars is not likely to be sustainable over the coming decades.   As the boomers age out, there will be more and more cars available.    Those young enough and willing to wait it out will have their chance.   

If they want them...   That's the big question!

boss429kiwi

"who has the right".................................Do you guys live in the USA or North Korea? Everyone has the right!
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

69_500

Quote from: odcics2 on November 26, 2015, 12:38:00 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on November 26, 2015, 12:26:15 PM

If they want them...   That's the big question!

Believe me there are at least a few of us in the younger generations that want one, and that are definitely waiting to own one.

500Jon

Its a strange thing owning a rare car, it can make you enemies, even of your best friends!
They say stuff like, ''what right do you have to own such a rare car''?
Then I find myself explaining my 35 year history of owning and restoring Mopars.(why, I don't have to?)
Then I see guys with untold wealth buying the cars I love and cherish and just hiking the prices!

But I'm just a poor Limey with no job and love of Wingcars...What right do I have to own a WingCAR???
But thanks to a wonderful friend who sold me his 'dream car' I now have the rarest of the rare, C500 4-speed.

I probably would have owned and sold my Wingcars by now if things had been different?
Most of us were around when Wingcars were dumped on the side of the road for Hicks to fire pellets at!
Those days have gone and all we have left is missed chances and maybe regrets?

For you guys with the Wingcars and/or the money to buy one, its not a problem...
For the rest who don't have one or will never get one, I FEEL FOR YOU!!! :pity:

Some things are just not meant to be... :shruggy:

But on a brighter note, they are still out there...you just gotta looksee and pray... :angelwing:

xx29

Quote from: 500Jon on November 27, 2015, 05:32:16 AM
Its a strange thing owning a rare car, it can make you enemies, even of your best friends!
They say stuff like, ''what right do you have to own such a rare car''?
Then I find myself explaining my 35 year history of owning and restoring Mopars.(why, I don't have to?)
Then I see guys with untold wealth buying the cars I love and cherish and just hiking the prices!

But I'm just a poor Limey with no job and love of Wingcars...What right do I have to own a WingCAR???
But thanks to a wonderful friend who sold me his 'dream car' I now have the rarest of the rare, C500 4-speed.

I probably would have owned and sold my Wingcars by now if things had been different?
Most of us were around when Wingcars were dumped on the side of the road for Hicks to fire pellets at!
Those days have gone and all we have left is missed chances and maybe regrets?

Today you almost have to be a "millionaire" to be able to buy a 500....so there you go

For you guys with the Wingcars and/or the money to buy one, its not a problem...
For the rest who don't have one or will never get one, I FEEL FOR YOU!!! :pity:

Some things are just not meant to be... :shruggy:

But on a brighter note, they are still out there...you just gotta looksee and pray... :angelwing:

69 DAYTONA

...in 35 years of ownership of various winged cars, I have never had anyone ask if I had "the right" to own one, LOL

xx29

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on November 28, 2015, 09:40:10 PM
...in 35 years of ownership of various winged cars, I have never had anyone ask if I had "the right" to own one, LOL
Just 'cos you got the power(money), doesn't mean you have the right...Motorhead

skip68

You have only as much rights as your wallet and or credit will allow you.    :Twocents: 
That goes for anything one might desire.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

500Jon

Money is POWER, so therefore Hemi WINGCARS are...

Ultimate DOMINATION, especially at DegaBIRD and err, DAYTONA...
Well at least till they got banned!!!

Just think if they hadn't been banned, then Ford and Chevy would have have to build something TOO?
Saab had a go but as we see from the first pictures, went like a scalded cat but looked like POO!

At least you can get your Golf Clubs in the back of a Daytona/C500.
That Chev Chaparral is taking it too far methinks? :smilielol:

crj1968

Everyone has the right, just not the money or perhaps the opportunity.

500Jon

Well Said crj1968 (or is that crj1970?)lol.

Except for Chevy and Ford guys??? :slap:

SaaB excepted too... :scratchchin:

crj1968

Quote from: 500Jon on November 30, 2015, 11:30:28 AM
(or is that crj1970?)lol.

Well I have really wanted a 68 because it's my birth-year, but the only Chargers I have had the opportunity (right?)  ;)  to own have been 70's.  Except for all the sub $3000 ones I passed up in the 80's because you know, they of course, had dents and stuff and weren't six packs, etc...    :rotz:

moparstuart

you have the right   ,  oh to adopt me too   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

held1823

Quote from: moparstuart on November 30, 2015, 04:04:05 PM

oh hell no
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on November 30, 2015, 10:37:20 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 30, 2015, 04:04:05 PM

oh hell no
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  always spoiling my plans   

Daytona Guy

For me anyone has the right as long as it is lawful. I'm not much into managing peoples motives or impose my opinion (self imposed) upon a free market.

Dane

500Jon

Well said Dane!

Anyone can own a Wingcar who has the funds to buy one! :cheers:
We all like to think we or they deserve it in some way?
Through hard work and life long determination...
I thank Mother Mopar for building and selling nearly 2500 Wingcars back in the day! :2thumbs:

A Wingcar is not for everyone, in fact only for the few.
Even in the Highlight era of Mopars in Nascar, Wingcars were very very RARE! :patriot:

God bless everyone who owns one and have a wonderful Christmas, drive them while you can!!! :drive:

thehemikid

As said,  every one has the Right.  Under that heading though, there seems to be several variables, and not sure if I'm thinking of them all.

For example, Desire, Opportunity, & Financially.  All three ducks would not necessarily need to be in a row to "acquire" one (eg. to inherit,... gives one the Right, without Desire or Finance) but usually the norm.  And one does not necessarily rule over the other two for obvious reasons.

And a Side note though: Desire may be split up in two facets, one may desire for the sake of true love the other a trophy or a flip. Which could effect the opportunity, depending on the seller. I know one example where the seller did not like the home it would go to, and quenched that opportunity for the buyer though he had the Finances, and Desire.

But reading your subject line again, your "owning" seems more "present tense", than Acquiring, and will give that some thought latter,... at the moment an empty stomach has raised my Desire  towards more important issues.  :lol:

A383Wing

Why do there have to be "Stipulations" to own a wing car? Who decided this?

ws23rt

Quote from: thehemikid on December 02, 2015, 04:41:58 PM
As said,  every one has the Right.  Under that heading though, there seems to be several variables, and not sure if I'm thinking of them all.

For example, Desire, Opportunity, & Financially.  All three ducks would not necessarily need to be in a row to "acquire" one (eg. to inherit,... gives one the Right, without Desire or Finance) but usually the norm.  And one does not necessarily rule over the other two for obvious reasons.

And a Side note though: Desire may be split up in two facets, one may desire for the sake of true love the other a trophy or a flip. Which could effect the opportunity, depending on the seller. I know one example where the seller did not like the home it would go to, and quenched that opportunity for the buyer though he had the Finances, and Desire.

But reading your subject line again, your "owning" seems more "present tense", than Acquiring, and will give that some thought latter,... at the moment an empty stomach has raised my Desire  towards more important issues.  :lol:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:  I'm guessing the word "Stipulations"  in the title of this thread may have moved the comments in an unanticipated direction.  :shruggy:

However ---as the title asks ---I have my opinion :lol:   Desire and means is all it takes to play on this play ground. :cheers:

To suggest or imply that their is exclusivity on this play ground feels as wrong as taking lunch money from those that don't deserve to eat. :icon_smile_wink:

cdr

If I wrote what i thought they would send me to Dodge Charger .com JAIL.    :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

boss429kiwi

The stipulation for owning a Wingcar?.........its called testosterone  :icon_smile_big:

500Jon

Sometimes when you have the money the seller won't sell to you.
He/she feels you are not a suitable future owner maybe?
You cannot force them to sell to you and offering more money makes the situation worse...
They feel you don't fit the required parameters for ownership.
Therefore they have the 'right' not to sell??? :popcrn:

Unless maybe its a EBAY sale, that is a legal binding contract, sort of?

WINGMAN

I have always told myself that if and when I try to sell my Daytona and that if a potential buyer  starts to run down the car or offers less I will just tell them to leave and not come back  , the car is NOT for sale to them at any price. :Twocents: (Wingman)   Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGMAN on December 03, 2015, 05:51:33 AM
  I have always told myself that if and when I try to sell my Daytona and that if a potential buyer  starts to run down the car or offers less I will just tell them to leave and not come back  , the car is NOT for sale to them at any price. :Twocents: (Wingman)   Jay.
you cant sell my car   :icon_smile_big:

wingcar

I would say that back in the day you had to have a real genuine appreciation of the cars and what they represented as you stood out like a sore thumb and a lot of people would just point and laugh at you.  Back then they were just funny looking cars with little thought given to their preservation and future value.   You could find them on the back row of used car lots next to the other performance cars of the period.  Few wanted them and still fewer appreciated their place in history.  (Unless of course you were a huge NASCAR fan at the time).   I know because I was one of those that endured the laugher and the "your car has got to be the ugliest car on the road" commits.  (Some, even today would still say that the statement is true).   Being a pilot I perhaps had a better understanding of what the car was all about back then....plus it was cool to drive into the airport with a car that sported a rear wing almost as big as the airplane I was about to fly.

Most back in the day wanted nothing to do with the Wingcars.  And, these are the same people that today are paying huge amounts of dead presidents to own the same car they themselves laughed at back then.   Today the cars have become investments to be locked in a garage and safe guarded...but not enjoyed (unless your main enjoyment of ownership is "wax on, wax off" and not actually driving the car).   Today it's all about the money and not the joy one gets from hitting the road in your pride and joy.  I am glad I was one of those that actually got to enjoy the experience of true ownership and added many miles to the odometer of one Hemi Superbird back in the day......

I made memories with my Wingcar, not dollars......  :Twocents:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

boss429kiwi

I have found many will not sell to international buyers.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: boss429kiwi on December 02, 2015, 08:23:30 PM

The stipulation for owning a Wingcar?.........its called testosterone  :icon_smile_big:

I thought the only stipulation for owning one of these was a 6 figure bank account? :shruggy:

thehemikid

Not if you bought it over 30 yrs ago for a very low 4 digits...

...& turn down 6 digits because your not in it for the money.

graybo

I feel that I have earned the "RIGHT" to own a superbird.   At 12 years old I watched everyday as My Dad drove by an open field with a mean old bastard owner of a red superbird that would not sell or talk to anyone..... The car rotted to nothing and was junked!!!  I loved that car as a kid and that is the car that I wanted.   Been a MOPAR guy all my life and never have been rich but God and my father blessed me with skills.  I've owned every model of Chrysler from Barracuda to Volare. (That was the best I could do from A to Z).  Soooo.... at 46 years old I figured I still want one but can't afford one, so I built one.   Junk yard Roadrunner to stunning bird in 2 1/2 years.   35,000.00 invested and I couldn't tell you the man hours invested.  So Yeah I got the "Right" and so does anyone else whoe loves cool cars.  :cheers:

Daytona Guy

There are no stipulations for owning a Wing Car. As soon as someone lists one, I will say who made you God? To many times people get uptight over things that matter little. I don't have to, nor should someone else, have to meet someone else's stipulations to justify owning a wing car. :)

Dane

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona Guy on December 04, 2015, 10:09:49 PM
There are no stipulations for owning a Wing Car. As soon as someone lists one, I will say who made you God? To many time people get uptight over things that matter little. I don't have to, nor should someone else, have to meet someone else's stipulations to justify owning a wing car. :)

Dane

:iagree:  Which is why I asked a while back why did the OP decide there has to be stipulations?

Daytona Guy

What's an OP? Sorry for my ingnorance.

skip68

OP is original poster.     :cheers:
Beautiful cars guys.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Daytona Guy

I'm not so sure he is stating there has to be stipulations, but should there be? Or, are there? With the intended "No" there are no stipulations. Just my spin

Dane

thehemikid

I can think of one stipulation that usually has to be met... & I've had quite a few in my life...

....being at the right place at the right time.

500Jon

OP was only making an observation!
I have heard these comments many times from other American car owners.
It is not directed solely at Wingcars but all rare cars and other collectibles.

Folks who can't afford or don't understand Nascars and factory built Drag-cars are amused by their high prices.
They can only see two doors, four wheels with a pointy nose and clothes rack on the back!
Aero Warriors are cars of legend and sometimes ridicule, for their unusual appearance (unfortunately).
My hat is removed to all the true Wingcar Folks who have suffered the slings and arrows of mockery! :pity:
It is not the job of a Wingcar owner to educate the stone throwing FOOL!!! :slap:

Will films like Fast and Furious help the Wingcar in its future development or make them look even more ridiculous?
OP has an Aero car, so I don't need educating, we Limeys invented banked tracks and aerodynamics.
We just weren't outrageous enough to invent Wingcars lol...
5J

500Jon

Limey Aerocar, not quite right??? :slap:

thehemikid

It's got a pointy nose though.   I see they're using period eye protection but me thinks they could use some ear protection of any era. That exhaust has to be a brute .

Ghoste

thehemikid

...and keeping with the aero theme,....rotated their brims to the rear

500Jon

Would have been real fast if they had fitted a WING and cured the misfire on number 1 cylinder!

A383Wing

birdsandbees

Definitely not, it's running just fine!

As for "stipulations".. I said "hey honey, I just found a wing car for sale... do you want to come and look at it with me". She said "sure"!

I was 27 years old and it was $24,000 well spent in the Fall of 1989 !  :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

odcics2

thehemikid

Stipulation:...Must have lived in, ...closed to, ...owned,...or seen a trailer park while staying at a Holiday Inn.! ,  :scratchchin: hmmm, ...or missed said in previous life.   :slap:  :icon_smile_big:

500Jon

Hi Birds and Bees

I had a real nice 4-speed Superbee in the late 80's, couldn't sell it for love or money.
Sold it to a Scandanavian guy for £4000($6000).
Then I bought a 68 R/T Charger from a Pilot in the USAF for £4000.
Sold that and bought a restored 69 R/T form a dealer in London for £6000 ($9000) in 1989.
Within a few weeks of buying it I heard of a Petty-Blue Superbird minus engine and box for £6000 here in the UK!

Missed out on that car an have always regretted not getting it!
It wasn't about price (cheap) it was the thought of never getting another chance?
As I thought I didn't... :slap:

Paul 500

500 Jon, don't forget the 68 383 Charger you brought after the 68 R/T, & the 69 1/2 six pack Super Bee you had as well as the plum crazy 70 Coronet station wagon, while at the same time owing the 383 Bee.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500