News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 440 Distrbutor

Started by blinkey, December 02, 2015, 07:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blinkey

Its a long story but can I ask anyone who owns a 1969 charger with a 440 aprox where where your rotor is facing at dead top center, where your  rotor is facing. Im trying to find dead top center and mine is facing aprox to the alternator or if standing in front of the car its about 8 oclock but I know its wrong. Or to make it easier, where is your # 1 plug wire on the cap situated.

justcruisin

No1 cyl is approx 8 o'clock. Just insure you are on the compression stroke with no1 cylinder and set it up to fire around 15 degrees btdc with the rotor pointing at no1 and adjust from there. If the distributor has been out it could be anywhere. To find true TDC you need to use a piston stop and compare your findings with the markings on your balancer.

blinkey

Ok thanks but it runs OK ,,, it starts good but when I drive it and put the peddle down it pings so I retard it a little and its good no ping, Next day I go to start it and it wont start unless I advance it.  MMMMMMMM   whats going on here,,,is it this winter gas I just put in???  I heard of this too

chargerbr549

What might work is when you retard the timing so it won't ping readjust the idle mixture screws and most likely have to adjust your base idle screw to bring the idle rpm back up to where it was before you retarded the timing and possibly mess with the choke if you have one on it.

justcruisin

What do you have it set to with vacuum advance disconnected - idle and total. How is your engine built and what ignition are you running.