News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can someone identify these BB headers for me?

Started by 72Charger-SE, December 01, 2015, 08:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

I picked these up at a swap meet a few years back.  I am planning to do a small weld repair on one of the tubes and use them on my 440 build however I am not sure who makes them and specifically where to get gaskets for them.  Anyone recognize the #51 on them or the style?

Thanks & GOD Bless,
Chad

66FBCharger

It looks like in the first photo the collector sticker says Doug Thorley headers.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

72Charger-SE

Yes, but that sticker seems to be 'added' and I don't think the plastic sticker would still be on the headers if they were ever on a car, which I believe they were based on the wear and tear.  From what I see on Doug's headers the name is 'engraved on an oval' area on the first or second cylinder. 

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

72Charger-SE

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 01, 2015, 03:58:13 PM
They look like my old Hooker Super Comps ?

Ok.  So the next question...  where does a person get gaskets and collector brackets for such the 'old Hooker Super Comps'?

XH29N0G

Aren't the collector's fairly standard 3" collector so a standard header reducer would work.  For gaskets, I would use something like Percy's dead soft aluminum.  (I was mistaken on crushable - using crushable aluminum and gold gaskets at work.)
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

72Charger-SE

Quote from: XH29N0G on December 01, 2015, 07:24:54 PM
Aren't the collector's fairly standard 3" collector so a standard header reducer would work.  For gaskets, I would use something like Percy's crushable aluminum.

I've never heard of Percy's crushable aluminum.. is this something you can buy from a local auto parts store or??

Ghoste

Or a good set of Fel Pro header gaskets with some copper sealant on each side.

XH29N0G

Felpro Yes too, but I have not had much experience with those.  The Percy's are also called dead soft aluminum and it looks like you may be able to get them or equivalent dead soft Aluminum at auto stores.  I ordered mine online. This is the block to header.  I think I am using copper on the collector flange with copper sealant.  The folks who put my headers on first used copper gaskets at the head that did not seal well because the flange did not compress.  Long ago I had inexpensive paper(?) type that would blow out.  To be fair, this was with a restrictive exhaust and this might have had an effect (stock mufflers and 2 1/4" pipes).
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

Percy dead soft between block and header, permatex ultra copper on the bolts/studs that penetrate the water jackets.  I used paper gaskets coated in ultra copper on the collectors.  Never had them leak.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

72Charger-SE

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I will do a quick weld repair on the header tube (small hole) and then use high temp primer & paint.  They should look like NEW... well, except for a few dings..   :)   

GOD Bless All!

71charger_fan

I blew out a lot of Fel-Pro before switching to Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal for my 400.

RallyeMike

The ultra gaskets in my opinion are Remflex. However, they are one-shot deals and have to be replaced if you take them apart.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/