News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Curious, did the race cars have wing washers?

Started by A383Wing, December 18, 2015, 05:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

seeing as the teams didn't get factory cars off the assembly line, was wondering if any of the race cars had the wing washers?  :shruggy:

C5X DAYTONA

Not steel like the production cars.   The race ones used a thick curved aluminum plate.   At least on the 2 race wings I had from the Baker and Allison Daytona.
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

wingcar builder

here is a K&K Dodge wing that was supposedly confiscated by Nascar  Note all the holes drilled in it like swiss cheese. but you can see the aluminum plates in which you are asking about.

odcics2

The Engineering Daytona (#88) had the street steel wing washers originally.
The were found to be useless at race speeds. Hand fabricated aluminum plates
were installed, same shape as the wing bottom.  They are marked "left" and "right",
because they are non symmetrical and due to holes for instrumentation wiring.

No two sets of washers are the same, because of the different styles used for the
reinforcements. (wing braces)  The 88 is different then the #71, for example.

As we all know, the #6 Baker Show Car has STREET wing braces, yet another clue of many confirming
it never was on a track as a "Daytona".

p.s. I am talking about the original #88, not the Talladega Museum clown car. I'm not sure what they tossed up into the trunk
       of that car when they converted it from the red #71 low speed test car.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

A383Wing

thanks guys...my wing only has 3 studs out each upright, the other missing stud is where the cable ran through....gonna replace the cable and open up the hole in the top of each upright that I filled in back in the 90's when car was put together....

I found a set of street wing washers on ebay for $100....so I will pass on those and maybe see if I can make something myself out of aluminum plate for my car when I transform it into the #7 McCoy race car.

odcics2

Why don't you copy what the McCoy car has?     :Twocents:

A383Wing

my plan is to copy the McCoy car....I'm not sure of yer comment

odcics2

A383Wing

I have many pics of the McCoy car, but no pics of the wing washers, do you or anyone else have pics of them?

odcics2

Quote from: A383Wing on December 19, 2015, 07:05:57 PM
I have many pics of the McCoy car, but no pics of the wing washers, do you or anyone else have pics of them?

I don't have any pics. Who owns the car?  Maybe they will take pics for you?

A383Wing

I don't know who owns the car now......from what I heard and read, it kinda disappeared when Jack died and may have ended up in California.....

wingcar builder

Doug Shultz owns it I'll ask him on facebook if he has any. also  Brian on there restoed the car he might have some to.

A383Wing

Quote from: wingcar builder on December 20, 2015, 08:50:00 AM
Doug Shultz owns it I'll ask him on facebook if he has any. also  Brian on there restoed the car he might have some to.

Appreciate it, would like as many pics as I can get....also good clear shots of the decals on the front fender as well...I can't make some of them out....

if ya need my email address, let me know

Thanks again, Bryan