News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remove Factory shackles from 72 Charger

Started by 72Charger72, March 23, 2016, 04:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger72

Whats the easiest way to remove the shackles brackets and bushings from the backside? I have started grinding them but its a tight area ??
Thanks

72Charger72

ok so shackles are off one I had to grind because the bolt snapped....do I need a press tool to remove the bushings that are in the frame??

HPP

Easiest way, unbolt the shackles, pull out the bushings.

If you are grinding shackles, than I take it yours are stuck. In that case, you might need a hammer, chisel and wire brush to get the bushings out. They are supposed to just push in by hand, but if they are hammered and rotten, they could be stuck.Gotta chip em out and then remove residue.

72Charger72

Quote from: HPP on March 24, 2016, 08:43:11 AM
Easiest way, unbolt the shackles, pull out the bushings.

If you are grinding shackles, than I take it yours are stuck. In that case, you might need a hammer, chisel and wire brush to get the bushings out. They are supposed to just push in by hand, but if they are hammered and rotten, they could be stuck.Gotta chip em out and then remove residue.
Thanks HPP I got the passenger side bolt out without issue so just PB blast the hell out of that and it should push out? Correct?
The driver side I have to cut the bolt and grind the stud off so it still has the major chunk of the bolt inside the bushing....probably will have to chisel that one  :shruggy:

HPP

Technically they pull out. There is a shoulder on them that would prevent you pushing them through and they are a split design so they should pull out half from each side.  Failing that, I'd say the steel around them is rusting into and corroding the rubber and not allowing it to move. You've got a lot of clean up ahead of you.

72Charger72

Quote from: HPP on March 25, 2016, 08:52:52 AM
Technically they pull out. There is a shoulder on them that would prevent you pushing them through and they are a split design so they should pull out half from each side.  Failing that, I'd say the steel around them is rusting into and corroding the rubber and not allowing it to move. You've got a lot of clean up ahead of you.
Thanks again HPP...its tight up in there Lol and thats just the beginning compared to what I have ahead...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109796.0.html