News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which companies A/C system is best?

Started by garner7555, January 02, 2016, 11:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Personally, I also have the original AC box under my dash, but I'm replacing it with the complete classic auto air kit.

My reasoning is the new box has got to be a ton lighter(and smaller) than the original. I don't know how much it weighs exactly, but its HEAVY. And huge. Less weight, and more room under the dash would be nice.

And also, the CAA box can be opened and serviced if the blower motor ever needs replacement. The vintage air box is sealed.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

garner7555

Quote from: JR on January 15, 2016, 08:53:18 AM
Personally, I also have the original AC box under my dash, but I'm replacing it with the complete classic auto air kit.

My reasoning is the new box has got to be a ton lighter(and smaller) than the original. I don't know how much it weighs exactly, but its HEAVY. And huge. Less weight, and more room under the dash would be nice.

And also, the CAA box can be opened and serviced if the blower motor ever needs replacement. The vintage air box is sealed.

That is a big deal.  If the box from Vintage is non-servicable then that explains the price increase to step up to the Classic kit.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

JR

I should really clarify that Garner.

The case to the Classic air box has a split seam down the center that can be easily disassembled for service.

The vintage air unit is one solid piece. Their website lists some replacement parts, but the box doesn't seem to be built with serviceability down the road in mind.

That's what I've found researching the two.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

garner7555

I just called both companies to get a feel for both.  They were both about a 6 or 7 out of 10 on friendliness.  They seem similar in quality from what I hear from a restoration shop who installs both kits.  The vintage is 150 bucks cheaper though.  I actually prefer some of the features of the vintage kit from what i can tell.   :shruggy:   I may take my chances with vintage, if the box fails down the road vintage has a repair service or I could adapt a different box to the rest of their kit.  I'm still not 100% sure which route I will take yet but I'm leaning toward vintage at the moment.   :2thumbs:     Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions.  If you have an opinion please don't be shy!
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

1970Moparmann

Quote from: garner7555 on January 15, 2016, 01:43:00 PM
I just called both companies to get a feel for both.  They were both about a 6 or 7 out of 10 on friendliness.  They seem similar in quality from what I hear from a restoration shop who installs both kits.  The vintage is 150 bucks cheaper though.  I actually prefer some of the features of the vintage kit from what i can tell.   :shruggy:   I may take my chances with vintage, if the box fails down the road vintage has a repair service or I could adapt a different box to the rest of their kit.  I'm still not 100% sure which route I will take yet but I'm leaning toward vintage at the moment.   :2thumbs:     Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions.  If you have an opinion please don't be shy!

I decided to go with a Classic Auto Air setup for my 68.   I plan on doing this work in the next month, so will let you know how it goes.   
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

garner7555

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on January 15, 2016, 05:19:54 PM
Quote from: garner7555 on January 15, 2016, 01:43:00 PM

I decided to go with a Classic Auto Air setup for my 68.   I plan on doing this work in the next month, so will let you know how it goes.   

Awesome!   I may hold off on ordering to hear another persons opinion.   :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

CAA is based in Tampa. I live about 30 miles away. A/C in Florida isn't considered an optional item so I figure they must know there stuff. I'll be using them for my 70 Charger within a few months myself.  :yesnod:

garner7555

Quote from: b5blue on January 16, 2016, 05:12:58 AM
CAA is based in Tampa. I live about 30 miles away. A/C in Florida isn't considered an optional item so I figure they must know there stuff. I'll be using them for my 70 Charger within a few months myself.  :yesnod:

That's true, but Vintage is located in Texas so that's a similar situation as far as the heat of summer.   :shruggy:    I feel like both companies product will perform well.  I actually bet they source a lot of their parts from the same place.  Classic seems to have a better reputation on forums when I search on google, but not drastic.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

oldcarnut

When you called Vintage did you ask them if their unit was a direct bolt in using original mounts or do they require using universal brackets and etc.

garner7555

Quote from: oldcarnut on January 16, 2016, 09:06:18 AM
When you called Vintage did you ask them if their unit was a direct bolt in using original mounts or do they require using universal brackets and etc.

No I didn't think to ask that question.   Does the Classic kit bolt in using original holes?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

oldcarnut

Best thing I could say would be for you to download both sets of instructions from each website and compare the two for how they get mounted.

SRT-440

I'm installing a Vintage Air as we speak...it's all high quality..and doesn't weigh as much as the stock system..the under dash box fits perfect, the controller goes in stock location (for a 70 b body) and it's electronically controlled not vacuum. You can get a kit with everything needed to install for $1400..sounds like a lot but after you add up cost of refurbishing an old unit and piecing it together the price will be close.
Only bad thing with VA, is it doesn't use fresh air..only recirculates cabin air. Good luck in your decision..I'll update in a couple weeks when it's up and running again.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

garner7555

Thanks for the info!  I still haven't decided which one to order so your input will be helpful.   :2thumbs:    Thanks
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Audiguy

Garner, I know exactly how you feel. My dash is out awaiting to be put in so we can get the glass in, but I want to do the A/C before putting the dash back in. I hear nothing but good about both systems.

b5blue

Small update: Classic's Mopar units are made and shipped from TX. not Tampa. 2 types one for converting heat only cars and one to convert original A/C cars to Classics modern unit.