News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilding 383

Started by Windsor, January 09, 2016, 09:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Be careful. The V.A. might just cut your arm off.  :brickwall:
Man I hate going to the V.A.  I get depressed just thinking about going back again.  :flame:
Good Luck. :cheers:

Windsor

I dunno. It might be an improvement.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Windsor on August 18, 2016, 08:04:09 PM
Well, here's an update. Motor is build and has been broken in and run on the dyno. I'll post all numbers when I get the print out when I pick the motor up. I don't remember the rpms (been a couple weeks), but it ran 479hp (or maybe it was 497) and 502tq if I remember right.
Some of the issues, the crane rockers came with 9 right and 7 left, so had to get another left sent out.  Can't get rid of the rear main leak. Tried the seal that came with the billet retainer, also tried two of the Fel-Pro performance seals. He said he tried shimming the seal but it made it worse.
I decided I will just have a leaking motor instead of keep throwing money at a problem that can't be guaranteed to get fixed. 10 drops over 15 min of run time according to the builder. But hey, it will always have fresh oil. I am going to install a oil level sensor in the new pan when I extend it to gain capacity.  I should be picking it up next week then it will be going on a stand for the 3-12 months that it will take for my arm to recover from surgery.
I picked up a Dakota that I will use the frame of under my car. So, engine won't be going back into the car until the frame swap is done. Then I will modify the pan to the new frame and other components.
As of pretty much January, everything has been put on hold or slowed down while dealing with the VA for my back and arm. I'll be going slow on most everything for a while.

I'm another one whose anxious to see the final numbers since perhaps next year my numbers matching 383 will be rebuilt. What bore size and final compression ratio did you end up with? By any chance, had you also looked at the 450 stroker kit from Musclemotors? :cheers:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Windsor

When I get the motor back, I'll do specs and a parts list. Not sure on the actual compression yet. He did work on the deck (a little uneven before) and heads a little bit (no port work just getting everything fitted for use with valley pan).
The block cleaned up at .025", and finish bore was .030". I did look at the 450 kit. I don't remember why I went with the 383<438 (432) over the 450 kit.

Windsor

Talked with the guy who built the motor. He tried a different rear seal retainer (first and second are both the billet type) and ran the motor again. Said it ran for 20 minutes without a drop leaked out. So, lots of headache, 13 hours of labor, 4 new seals, a second brand new seal retainer, and two 1 piece windage trays give me no more leak.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Windsor on August 23, 2016, 08:31:32 PM
Talked with the guy who built the motor. He tried a different rear seal retainer (first and second are both the billet type) and ran the motor again. Said it ran for 20 minutes without a drop leaked out. So, lots of headache, 13 hours of labor, 4 new seals, a second brand new seal retainer, and two 1 piece windage trays give me no more leak.

At least now you won't have that issue in the back of your mind.  :2thumbs:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Windsor

Yep. Going up to get the motor on Thursday. Already modified a movers dolly to set the engine cradle on. Now I need to figure out how to mount it in the Dakota frame.

Windsor

Got the motor. I'm trying to get me scanner to work so I can show all the #s without typing them.
Compression is 9.5.
Sweep 9. Horsepower- 477 @5200rpm. Torque- 506 @4300rpm.
Sweep 10. Horsepower- 471 @5200rpm. Torque- 509 @4200rpm.

When I get my scanner working and get rid of my headache, I'll post more.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Windsor on August 25, 2016, 08:36:33 PM
Got the motor. I'm trying to get me scanner to work so I can show all the #s without typing them.
Compression is 9.5.

Nice! As many details about parts that you can provide would be appreciated.

Windsor

Not a problem. 6 hours (plus 1 hour of sitting after a semi and f150 played bumper trucks at highway speed) of driving gave me a killer headache.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Windsor on August 25, 2016, 08:36:33 PM
Compression is 9.5.

Nice power numbers for a mild street build  :2thumbs:

I bet that torque curve is pretty flat......should be a great build for your application !  :icon_smile_big:

Looking forward to the build details and dyno sheets. Once that is posted up we can archive this one in the Proven Engine Builds forum  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Windsor

Thanks Ron. I just posted it up there with the pictures.

Quote from: Dreamcar on August 25, 2016, 08:40:15 PM

Nice! As many details about parts that you can provide would be appreciated.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125531.0.html

Dreamcar

Thanks for that link Windsor  :cheers:

I'm going to pose this question here since my car will also be a 383.

Assuming power numbers like Windsor is getting, how would a Charger's acceleration feel like with 3.23 gears?  See, I own a Charger, but I've never driven one...I bought mine undriveable and I'm restoring it. I'm trying to decide down the road if I want a gear vendors OD or not. If I run a 27 inch tall tire, 70mph should be around 2900 rpm.

Will the car feel gutless off the line with similar power numbers Windsor is getting with only 3.23 gears and a 727 trans? Is 2900 RPM too high for 5-6 hour road trips on the highway (fuel mileage is not a concern). My truck in high gear runs 2500 RPM, but it's modern, not a 69.

Windsor

I'd be interested in that info also. I currently have 2.76 in my rear end. But since I will be back halfing a different frame with 4 link, I'm going to go to a lower gear. I'm thinking 3.55.

BSB67

Quote from: Windsor on August 26, 2016, 05:36:42 PM
I'd be interested in that info also. I currently have 2.76 in my rear end. But since I will be back halfing a different frame with 4 link, I'm going to go to a lower gear. I'm thinking 3.55.

It will depend on the specifics of the build.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Windsor

https://www.tacomaworld.com/attachments/image-jpg.1152837/
Once installed in the frame, I'll be modifying the oil pan for more capacity. If someone could repost the picture for me. It still won't let me load from my iPod.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.