News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

weak heater

Started by tucknroll, January 18, 2016, 10:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

My car has heat but it just doesn't  seem to do enough. The fan blows on high and low, nothing is leaking, defrost works, blows good heat, everything works like it should but it just isn't  enough to heat the cabin. Should it blow anything like a newer car? It's a 69 charger with non working ac.

Pete in NH

With the heater temperature set all the way up both heater hoses should be hot to the touch. If not and you're sure the water control valve is fully open the heater core may be partially clogged. Over the years bits of old gasket material and junk can clog the core. One easy fix to try is to disconnect the heater hoses and connect a garden hose to what is normally the output hose from the core. Turn on the garden hose and the water pressure will reverse flush the heater core. You might be surprised at the junk that will often come out. If that doesn't restore the heat, you might need a new heater core.

ITSA426

Thermostat is usually the first thing to check.  They'd go bad frequently back in the day.  Could be a birds nest in the heater box.

tucknroll

Dino

When operational the heater should work as well as in any modern car.  I can heat up my cabin like a sauna on a freezing day.   :yesnod:

Like they guys say, flush the core and check the thermostat for starters.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.