News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Staged" Barn Find Daytona is staying a "Staged" Barn Find

Started by Moparpoolman, February 15, 2016, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5hunert

For what he paid for it, he would be very upside down if he paid to restore it.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

tan top

not going to restore it !!  that's  nuts ,   still each to their own ,
think this barn find deal & all the associated stuff is  getting out of  hand. yes every car guys dream , to find his own favourite muscle car  in a barn , that's been untouched for 30 / 40 years . take pictures of where the cars been hiding all these decades etc ,& needing only a wash & change of  normal service parts & its good to go , seems mad to want to leave the car in as found , especially in that condition , that soo desperately needs restoring !.  :Twocents:   , if the Daytonas new owner is reading this , I mean no offence buddy , come & sign up here  , to this site  & talk /  look / see  mopars  24 / 7 & talk Aero Mopar stuff  :2thumbs:

:cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HANDM

I understand that it's a (staged) barn find but jeez is not even going to wash it? Is he going to flat clear coat it to "preserve" the moss and wrinkle finish on the paint? Take enough high res pics and now it's preserved.

birdsandbees

It wasn't a barn find.. it was a full blown staged for pictures car port find. What ever.. he's the guy that has it, he can be a fool if he wants!  :hah:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

WINGMAN

Maybe he was related to the guy that just passed away who left his Daytona outside for years. :nana:  (Wingman)
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

HANDM

Quote from: WINGMAN on February 15, 2016, 04:02:47 PM
  Maybe he was related to the guy that just passed away who left his Daytona outside for years. :nana:  (Wingman)

The daytona in Lynnwood WA. with the missing wing center is still there, is this the one you're referring to??

wingcarenvy

I don't get it. I doubt that he is going to park this thing in a corner of his nice new garage and have that nasty smell slap him in the face everytime he opens the door. I get the whole ratty muscle car thing but at least clean it up and get it running so you can drive it the way it was intended. Its kinda sad that its a piece of art for the rich and famous. That car would be just as cool with the motor and interior cleaned up. It is his car after all and good on him for getting it for less than the stupid flipper. If I was a betting man, I would bet that this thing either gets sold or restored in the next few years. Both things would be a great service to this car.

TheAutoArchaeologist

The 2nd set of pictures were staged.  It really was sitting in a carport for years upon years.  That's true.

But yeah, leaving that car alone is pointless.  You just bought this car, now it's just going to rot more?  Ok it might be in a new garage, but whatever.

There are still plenty of Daytona's out there.

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

crj1968

Not what I would do but I can kind of see where he is coming from.  I cant see it getting much worse- I doubt it will be in the elements anymore. It will still always be a candidate for full restoration once people tire of seeing it as is.

But yeah, I'd at least wash it- it's still be very interesting without the moss all over it.

qwick68

This whole barn find thing is outta control......now we're "staging" them.....what's next?!
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

A383Wing

Quote from: qwick68 on February 16, 2016, 08:38:45 PM
This whole barn find thing is outta control......now we're "staging" them.....what's next?!

fake barns will start popping up all over

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on February 16, 2016, 09:20:14 PM

They will indeed keep popping up as long as the term means a treasure has been found. And just like faking tags and other identifiers the fakers will wring out every dollar that can be had from the term. ::)

hemi68charger

Quote from: ws23rt on February 16, 2016, 09:29:40 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on February 16, 2016, 09:20:14 PM

They will indeed keep popping up as long as the term means a treasure has been found. And just like faking tags and other identifiers the fakers will wring out every dollar that can be had from the term. ::)

I am so glad I don't like the hay-infested "barn finds" other than the fact that maybe the vehicle hasn't been exposed to the elements other than rats and mice......... ( which in their own right can play havoc on interiors ).  It is a neat story, but nothing more than that. There's nothing wrong with preserving that sort of stuff if you have that luxury.. But, for someone like me, I only have a couple of potential cars to drive, so I want them to be functional when I can....

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

500Jon

Hi Aero's,
Condition is everything!
Most RARE cars are 'Barn-finds' and nearly all are restored.
If you can't afford to do it, someone else will...
That's why there are resto companies making the parts!
How many real 'Survivor' cars actually exist?
Most were daily drivers, even the Wingcars, left to rot for decades.
Daytona's and C-500's are all thats left of the Glory Days of Dodge!!!

Restore it or sell it to someone who wants too.
Or park it next to this PLYMOUTH lol...
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

held1823

i've messaged with the new owner a couple of times. very cool, down to earth guy who is a lifelong mopar fan. my hunch is he will eventually look into restoring the car, given that a daytona has been his dream car since childhood.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

r4daytona

I would do just like some indicate.  Travel around with it for a bit as it is.  Ok, the "barn" was staged but the car was still left outside for all those years.  I take it around for a year or two, then restore only what needed to be.  IF the car is solid enough I might only get the mechanicals up to par and take it around as a "cleaned up barn(carport) find"

Aero426

Quote from: held1823 on February 18, 2016, 07:41:15 PM
...given that a daytona has been his dream car since childhood.

I've heard that line before.   

500Jon

Its every Dodge owners DREAM-CAR!!! :slap:

How do you preserve a WRECK???

Get on and restore it and stop making crap magazine articles about how it needs to stay err,,, RUSTY... :brickwall:
If rusty was a GOOD LOOK, then Mother Mopar wouldn't have bothered to paint them, after dipping them...Blah blah blah...

Its not a four door 69 Coronet that was once a TAXI, its the pinnacle of Dodge ambitions in NASCAR!!! :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

You are making this LIMEY, very angry, now get started on the resto ASAP!!! :pity: :pity: :pity:

5J

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: 500Jon on February 26, 2016, 11:43:56 AM
Its every Dodge owners DREAM-CAR!!! :slap:

How do you preserve a WRECK???

Get on and restore it and stop making crap magazine articles about how it needs to stay err,,, RUSTY... :brickwall:
If rusty was a GOOD LOOK, then Mother Mopar wouldn't have bothered to paint them, after dipping them...Blah blah blah...

Its not a four door 69 Coronet that was once a TAXI, its the pinnacle of Dodge ambitions in NASCAR!!! :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

You are making this LIMEY, very angry, now get started on the resto ASAP!!! :pity: :pity: :pity:

5J

considering the factory work to protect them against rust it is obvious that they were supposed to get a rusty look quickly :lol:

500Jon

Ok Crazy Plum!

They is bad in places, but not as bad as English Fords and Italian Fiats... :slap:
I had a restored 69 R/T Charger back in the early 90's.
It lasted three years parked outside in London Town, and then had to be done all over again.
Think its back in NYC, so its probably rusted away by now!!! :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

5J

Charger_Fan

Dang, that looks like it was in a garage fire before being left in the elements. So did the VIN & fender tags make it onto a 318 body yet? :lol:

Aero426

Quote from: Charger_Fan on February 26, 2016, 02:35:48 PM
Dang, that looks like it was in a garage fire before being left in the elements. So did the VIN & fender tags make it onto a 318 body yet? :lol:

That is L9B355107 which was sold out of TX about ten years ago.  Originally a very high option car and one of the press/promo cars originally assigned to different race car drivers.    It had been in some kind of fire or was said to have been used as a burn pit.    There are threads about it on here.   

nascarxx29

My friend in tx had told me about this car in a garage fire.then was left outside and abused further
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Charger_Fan

500Jon

I can SAVE IT!!! :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Where and when can I collect it??? :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I have many Wingcar parts but not enough to build one, and no fender tag or build sheet.
An old Johnny Cash song comes to mind... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: