News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NASCAR Museum

Started by Kowal, February 17, 2016, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowal

Went to the NASCAR museum today.   Not a single wing car, the #43 they had was in the later years, it was a GM.   There were two Talladega's.   No Mopar Aero cars, guess these didn't help make them what they are today!  This is what happens when Dodge stopped sponsoring NASCAR?
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

500Jon

Sad, very sad indeed!
I'm glad I flew over 10 years back and saw Dodges on the fast ovals when I did.
How did one of America's greatest names fall away and Toyota take their place??? :slap:
I look at my C-500 and shed a tear, what a beautiful car and what an era she came from...
From back when winning was EVERYTHING, now all we have have is 4-door Chargers.
Ugly Challengers and memories of WINGCAR glory days... :pity:

BOO-HOO-HOO... :patriot: :horse: :angelwing:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Aero426

The cars on the NASCAR Hall Glory Road will be changed out and rotated next January.  

The K & K Daytona was in there for at least a few years.  The #40 Superbird recently spent a year there.  

The number of available "real" Mopar stockers not on display in other museums is a pretty short one.  

charger500440

Quote from: Kowal on February 17, 2016, 08:55:02 PM
Went to the NASCAR museum today.   Not a single wing car, the #43 they had was in the later years, it was a GM.   There were two Talladega's.   No Mopar Aero cars, guess these didn't help make them what they are today!  This is what happens when Dodge stopped sponsoring NASCAR?

The Isaac K&K Daytona was there a couple of years ago when we visited. So was Petty's '67 Satellite which is awesome in it's own right. Just as impressive was the Wood Brothers '71 Cyclone. I got some great photos of all three. It's a shame they don't leave those three in the museum somewhere as each are incredible cars and significant in NASCAR's history...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Aero426

Quote from: charger500440 on February 19, 2016, 07:28:27 PM

The Isaac K&K Daytona was there a couple of years ago when we visited. So was Petty's '67 Satellite which is awesome in it's own right. Just as impressive was the Wood Brothers '71 Cyclone. I got some great photos of all three. It's a shame they don't leave those three in the museum somewhere as each are incredible cars and significant in NASCAR's history...

Again, all three of those great cars were on loan from their current museums.  The K & K was originally scheduled to be there for one year.  It stayed there at least three. 

RAC95054

Are you talking about the NASCAR Hall of Fame in downtown Charlotte?  I've been several times, and the K&K Daytona was there last time I went about 2 years ago.  It's been hurting for money, as they anticipated way more people to come than have been.  And now that NASCAR popularity has really faded over the past 3-4 years (look at how many empty seats there are at most races now), it has made it even harder.  Don't be surprised if they close it, or move it, in a couple years if nothing changes.
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

Kowal

Yes, Charlotte.

They did have Isaac's Charger (not Daytona or 500) there on display as part of the Hall of Fame induction. 
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

Aero426

Quote from: RAC95054 on February 22, 2016, 08:18:23 PM
Went to the NASCAR museum today.   Not a single wing car, the #43 they had was in the later years, it was a GM.   There were two Talladega's.   No Mopar Aero cars, guess these didn't help make them what they are today!  This is what happens when Dodge stopped sponsoring NASCAR?

Are you talking about the NASCAR Hall of Fame in downtown Charlotte?  I've been several times, and the K&K Daytona was there last time I went about 2 years ago.  It's been hurting for money, as they anticipated way more people to come than have been.  And now that NASCAR popularity has really faded over the past 3-4 years (look at how many empty seats there are at most races now), it has made it even harder.  Don't be surprised if they close it, or move it, in a couple years if nothing changes.

The business dynamic of the NASCAR Hall has nothing to do with the cars that are, or are not in the museum.  Again, it comes down to who as a car owner is willing to commit to have their car on display for a year or two.  They are going to rotate cars early next year.  

The Hall is partially funded by local hotel room taxes.  The city also took out TWO loans worth about 20 million each.  On one of those, the city proposed to the banks last year that they take a one time payment of 5 million dollars in exchange for the banks forgiving the 19 million dollar loan.   The loan was "no recourse"  meaning the banks could not seize assets.  Basically, the banks were in between a rock and a hard place with an uncollectible debt.  So getting five million back looked pretty good compared to one hundred percent of nothing.

NASCAR also expected to take a portion of profits, which as you alluded to, have not materialized. They were to forgive several million in royalties that never materialized.   I expect that NASCAR will continue to subsidize it somehow.  It isn't going anywhere.  They are in too deep.  A lot of people felt it should have been anywhere but downtown Charlotte (probably true).  But NASCAR awarded it to Charlotte based on the incentive package the city provided.  

RAC95054

Ah, I didn't hear about that loan deal with the banks.  I guess the banks expected it to be a cash cow, but given that they won't have to repay the loans, and that NASCAR will still subsidize it, I guess it will be there for a while (which is good).  I have enjoyed the place, and even have a brick out front, where I donated.  Sadly, NASCAR just isn't the same anymore, although I haven't quite put my finger on what I don't like about it anymore (other than it's too much of a business now, and not enough guys duking it out weekly).
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

charger500440

Quote from: RAC95054 on March 02, 2016, 09:33:42 PM
Ah, I didn't hear about that loan deal with the banks.  I guess the banks expected it to be a cash cow, but given that they won't have to repay the loans, and that NASCAR will still subsidize it, I guess it will be there for a while (which is good).  I have enjoyed the place, and even have a brick out front, where I donated.  Sadly, NASCAR just isn't the same anymore, although I haven't quite put my finger on what I don't like about it anymore (other than it's too much of a business now, and not enough guys duking it out weekly).

I have a couple of theories re: why the attendance and TV ratings are plummeting. 1) the drivers are less interesting than MLB or NFL players and get more spoiled rotten every year and 2) the rules changes dumbing down the sport in recent years have killed any connection with the past (lucky dog, Chase format, etc), alienating hard core fans (such as myself). Add in the fact that the big time drivers are retiring younger (Gordon and Stewart et al) and that the younger generation is less into racing than we were, it all adds up to a trimming down of the sport. Big time.

Truth is the fact that the sport is shrinking may be exactly what is needed to save NASCAR from themselves, they quite simply outgrew their ability to manage the sport. So it may not be all bad down the road if they start making some better decisions.

If...

1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Aero426

Don't have a good feeling at all where NASCAR is headed.  Brian France wants it to be more like the NFL.  All the changes recently are good for preserving the status quo of the car owners and tracks.  No new tracks or major schedule changes for five years.   Difficult for a new team to come in.  Foreign manufacturers.  On and on.

charger500440

Quote from: Aero426 on March 04, 2016, 09:33:29 PM
Don't have a good feeling at all where NASCAR is headed.  Brian France wants it to be more like the NFL.  All the changes recently are good for preserving the status quo of the car owners and tracks.  No new tracks or major schedule changes for five years.   Difficult for a new team to come in.  Foreign manufacturers.  On and on.

I don't disagree but what they've done will further shrink the sport over the next few years. They're insulating themselves. At some point, the TV money will shrink accordingly and they will have the chance to make the sport more like what we'd like it to be. It's not possible now because they've sold their soul to the TV executive devil and they need to complete that dance until the music stops. The TV money is what kick started the downfall, as greed and stupidity took over. When the money starts to dry up, clowns like Brian will go away. If the void that leaves is filled with good people, the sport will survive. If not, who knows...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic