News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: Patronus on March 28, 2016, 10:37:15 PM
I can't decide on what size to run.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
If I can get the 13" in an 18" rim I might bite.
I have 15"s now, but have some 18" wheels sitting here.
Can't decide  :brickwall:

According to his first post the 13" rotors fit in a 17" wheel. That's what I'll be going with.

Questions I have is with the rotor placed onto the hub are longer wheel studs necessary? And with the rotor and bracket mounted does the rotor sit in the middle of the caliper or does it need some adjusting?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

invincibleextremes

Finaly got the batch from the laser cutter.  I have also purchased a set of disc brake spindles and have added the extra holes for them.   I have not plated any yet, but the brackets are now usable for both disc or drum spindles.

I'm fairly certain you will need longer wheel studs, not so much for the rotor, as much as for the fact that any wheels that fit the brakes are going to be aluminum and will need longer studs by themselves.  You prob could use the factory studs, but there will not be much thread to attach the wheels.

Also, the holes are the same for the 2 piston, 4 piston and 6 piston calipers BUT on the mustangs, the bigger brembo brakes are bolted to the back of the spindle, not the front, so i will be adding a spacer to the brackets to replicate the thickness of the factory mustang spindle.  As is, they work with 13.2 inch or the 12.5 inch v8 brakes.

Still developing the rears, but heres a picture of the brackets with a disc brake spindle.

I am trying to figure out how to get a hub for the disc brake spindles but i will not know for sure how much it will cost for us to make a set of aluminum hubs for this setup...

richard parker

nice!! put me down for a set of front and back when you have them done

invincibleextremes

I have 5 unplated pairs ready for anybody who wants them.  $100 shipped.  This is just for the plates, they work for the 13.2 inch or 12.5 inch brakes.
These work with either the disc brake spindles or the drum spindles.

It will be a week or two before i have the spacer available for use with brembo 4 piston or 6 piston brakes.

I have also figured out the rear disc setup.  It will be a two piece design with your option of using the 13.8 inch or the 11.8 inch disc brakes off the back of the 2014 gt500 shelby or the regular mustangs...  i will be ordering the brackets from the laser cutter on monday and should have an install video out once i drill a few sets and install them on on of my chargers.

invincibleextremes

This is the adapter bolted to the 73 A body disc brake spindle...

invincibleextremes

This is the same exact one bolted to a 62-74 b body drum spindle....

invincibleextremes

Rear disc brakes have been mocked up and they are a go!  Will be ordering some laser cut brackets on monday, they will be a two part design that will have the option of either the 11.8 inch mustang disc brakes or the 13.8 inch gt 500 shelby rear disc brakes... the center piece and caliper will be the same for both... the only difference being the rotor and the outer bracket...  here is the video of the rotor and caliper mocked up on my wifes 68 charger.
https://youtu.be/kq1RXylrtZQ

lukedukem

So if my car is power drum, I can keep my booster and master cylinder or no. Just put these brackets and rotors on with calipers? 

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

myk

I thought the master and booster were different for drum and disc applications?

Ok, just what all is necessary to perform this swap?  The brackets, the brakes, the master and booster from a Mustang, or would the stock ones work?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

lukedukem

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. i have stock power drums right now.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

invincibleextremes

Unfortunately  you will NOT be able to keep your stock master cylinder.  You will have to use a wilwood master cylinder and adjustable disc disc proportioning valve or equvilant.

The fronts are ready, and we have been unable to get them plated so are selling them for $100 a pair, and the rear being a two part design we are thinking of selling for $220 all together for a 4 wheel disc conversion kit...  plus $300 for decent disc brakes off a 2014 mustang will keep you at $520 and leave plenty of room in your budget for a master cylinder and prop valve as well as some parking brake cables and hoses and so on...

Lets face it... thats unheard of pricing for going 4 wheel disc on a mopar B body...

DR DIFF sells a master cylinder setup for 4 wheel disc, it is imported and is also competitively priced if the wilwood master is a bit too steep.... 

RCCDrew

lukedukem

So I can't keep my master cylinder but what about the booster.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

invincibleextremes

You can keep the booster if you find a disc brake master cylinder that bolts up to it...

lukedukem

Quote from: invincibleextremes on April 17, 2016, 03:54:07 PM
You can keep the booster if you find a disc brake master cylinder that bolts up to it...

Probably not gonna find one that does. So 520 bucks, then I need to by master, booster and valve.

599.99 for this whole kit looks sweet, http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/MoparBrakeKits/Mopar_Brake_Kits.htm
. Yeah I know theyre not 6 piston off a mustang. But I don't have to go parts hunting and price it together.
Not trying to shit in your cereal, I think what your doing is great.
When are you gonna do that question and answer video. I posted one and was wondering. Plus there are other good questions. And did you take your cat too. Lol

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

invincibleextremes

Oh no worries, for the guys ok with single piston brakes and drum rears and not wanting to lose their 15 inch wheels, the factory 73 A body disc brakes are a better option.  I'll do the question and answer video as soon as me and the wife are in the same state... so hopefully next weekend

Mike DC

A drum-to-disc conversion always means a different MC, no matter what parts are used. 

67Charger440

Got my set off ebay.  Man, these things are very beefy, and I mean in a very confidence inspiring way.  Now I just need a little additional clarification as far as what application gets me which brakes.  

Is this correct?

2011 - 2014, V8's got 13.2", V6's got 12.4", except the Brembo stuff
2005 - 2010, V8's got 12.5", V6's got 11.5", except the Brembo stuff

Calipers are all the same, it was the bracket that set the location to work with the diameter

68Charger4me

I'm curious how the rear bracket will mount up, and how beafy it will be, he said on FB that it works with the stock bearing setup.

garner7555

Quote from: 68Charger4me on May 06, 2016, 05:26:35 PM
I'm curious how the rear bracket will mount up, and how beafy it will be, he said on FB that it works with the stock bearing setup.

That is critical to me.  Personally don't want to use the green bearings.  To each their own, but I feel like the stock bearing are far superior if you enjoy taking curves or cutting doughnuts.   :icon_smile_big:   :yesnod:   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

invincibleextremes

Yes, sorry I have been away a bit.  The front brakes use whichever caliper and rotor SET you choose EXCEPT for brembo.  So if you get the 2005 v6 rotors and caliper you are good.  Same goes for if you get the 2011 through 2014 caliper and rotor...

The rotors have to be cleaned up on the hub bore from a 70.5mm to a 71.5mm if you intend to use them on the stock drum hub.

Also, the brembo brakes have the holes in the right places but bolt BEHIND the mustang spindle, so i am in the process of ordering the spacer needed to make the mounting surfaces correct for those brakes as well...   I am thinking $25 shipped for the spacers (or $15 if you already have the bracket) is fair.

Now on to the rear brakes.   I have seen the different brakes on the market currently, and honeslty can't figure out how they mount, and bearing options etc....

Therefore I have designed the rears as a three piece. 

The first piece is 11ga thick and is basically a ring that is the same thickness as your stock drum mounting setup.... this was done so you can use stock tapered bearings and literaly do not have to change the preload or anything.

The second piece is the part that bolts OVER the bearing retainer and is C shaped so it is removable and you do not need to press the bearings off the axles or anything... it will be as thick as the front brackets btw... this part has has two sets of holes for the third part, allowing your choice of 11.8 or 13.8 inch rotors...

The third part holds the caliper and bolts to the outer or inner set of holes of the C shaped bracket.... again this is to allow your choice of 13.8 or 11.8 inch rotor...

My hold up with the rears is that I myself do not work at a machine shop.   My younger brother does, and I have talked to his boss and getting a small batch of 10 pairs laser cut isn't a big deal but to make the order the file has to be first designed in SOLIDWORKS (which I did) and then converted into yet a different type of file to place the order...

I will be in oregon in a couple days (crazy cross country muscle car roadtrips going on) and before I leave to hawaii for the weekend I am thinking of cutting out the two middle men and going straight to the laser cutter...  after all, I drill all the front brackets myself with a decent drill press and one perfect drill guide templete that I have created.... 

So I will be doing my best to drive this forward with a small batch of rears and then I will see.   Sorry again for the delay, but if you take one look at my youtube channel you will quickly realize why...  my wife and kids are at the in laws in nebraska, I have the brackets and my brother up in oregon, and I myself am hauling about a dozen muscle projects across the country one by one.

invincibleextremes

Which btw brings me to another point...  the 2006 and UP chrysler 300 platform basicaly uses the same brakes... 13.6 front rotor with a twin piston caliper and a 12.6 inch rear rotor with a single piston caliper.

I am fairly positive that I can design a conversion for those brakes as well, my only concern is that the pistons on those brakes are plastic (phenelic?) And the rears do not have a built in parking brake...

Any interest in those?  Or maybe a hybrid kit that uses the single piston mustang rear caliper and the 12.6 inch rear dodge rotors?

Using an all dodge set up would leave you with no parking brake options and the pistons dodge uses in the chargers are a synthetic material...   

Either way, i snagged a dodge/chrysler twin piston caliper off ebay and will try and see if maybe the brackets I already have designed can just accept a second set of holes and use either the ford or the dodge brakes.... (and be lighter as a result)

What is everyones opinion on this?

invincibleextremes

Btw GARNER7555 I just caught your thread on the facebooks and HOLY COW your charger looks good.  And the 14 inch brembo brakes are looking pretty gnarly up front.  I need to hurry up and send you some rear brackets lol.

68Charger4me

Thanks for the info, I think I'd rather have the parking brake in the caliper..

invincibleextremes

Garner7555 used a set of fronts and used them to mount the 14 inch 4 piston brembo brakes.  He had to add a .308 inch spacer to the back for proper mount of the brembo brakes.