News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which oil pump?

Started by RECHRGD, March 06, 2016, 09:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge70

Before you put the new pump on the motor,did you open it up and check for debris inside.The last melling oilpump I installed still had machining chips inside.You may have a stuck relief valve,take it off take it apart and see.It may be fixable without purchasing another pump.

RECHRGD

Quote from: myk on May 09, 2016, 06:13:25 AM
You're running the hardened intermediate shaft right?  BTW my oil pressure does the same: reads at 40-50 psi no matter what's going on, and that's with a separate oil pressure gauge doing the monitoring...

Not sure.  It's the same one that ran the HV pump.  Seeing that I'm going back to another HV unit I'm not worried about it.....
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

Quote from: charge70 on May 09, 2016, 08:59:56 AM
Before you put the new pump on the motor,did you open it up and check for debris inside.The last melling oilpump I installed still had machining chips inside.You may have a stuck relief valve,take it off take it apart and see.It may be fixable without purchasing another pump.

Yes I did, it was clean.....
13.53 @ 105.32

cdr

Quote from: RECHRGD on May 09, 2016, 02:35:32 PM
Quote from: charge70 on May 09, 2016, 08:59:56 AM

Yes I did, it was clean.....

did you read my private message?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BSB67

Quote from: RECHRGD on May 08, 2016, 06:10:54 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on May 08, 2016, 04:59:27 PM
Why did you change the pump in the first place?

Does the new pump have a standard or high pressure spring?

What was the idle oil pressure with the new, and the old high volume pump?

My pressure dropped considerably and wouldn't come back up.  I put the car away for the winter and went back to deal with it in the spring.  On the first startup the pressure went right back to normal.  After posting here, the general consensus seemed to conclude that the pressure relieve spring must have stuck open and somehow reclosed over the winter or startup.  Never having dealt with these pumps before, I just decided to buy a new one.  I got the standard volume melling pump based upon comments from the members.  With the old HV pump I would usually idle at 40+ lbs.  at highway speeds were 60+.  The new standard pump would maintain 50 regardless of rpm, until yesterday's drop to 40.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it........

Okay.  So at an idle, the standard pump had 50 psi and now it has 40 psi at idle.  If that is the case, you don't need a HV pump.  Just a different spring.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

rockdogg2020

Is it a MUST to use the Hardened Shaft when using the HV Pump?

68CoronetRT

Quote from: rockdogg2020 on May 12, 2016, 05:33:14 PM
Is it a MUST to use the Hardened Shaft when using the HV Pump?

No, but it is suggested. You loose that end and your oil pressure is gone.