News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gold paint for LCAs

Started by Dino, March 24, 2016, 04:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I don't want to us cosmoline or anything else that remains sticky. Has anyone used something out of a rattle can that looks close in color? I'm not trying to emulate the originals or have drips and runs all over it, but it would be nice to have the color be close.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BLK 68 R/T

I tried to duplicate the gold cadmium finish of the master cylinder cover a few years ago by using copper paint as the base and then a light coat of gold on top. It looked ok but the gold made the part look dull and it did not have the shine to it that true cadmium has. I think maybe this same approach with a little bit more of the gold paint might achieve the same effect as cosmoline without the mess. I was just using krylon rattle can from the local hardware store if it helps any.

Charger-Bodie

Black chassis saver blotchy coat of Gold spray bomb with spray bomb clear. Mutes the gold some which looks better.

Chassis saver has to be coated within a window . Not too soon and it to late sand and recoat .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

I like the cadmium paints but the LCAs were not cad plated. The chassis black and blotchy gold would get me close to the look but I decided to go for a clean gold look so I just need something that resembles it in color. I'll look for the Krylon gold, if it's a non metallic it might do.

HeavyFuel

If you like the way Cosmo looks, just use it.   It's not sticky after totally dry.

And it smells great.   :lol:

No...seriously, I love the smell. 

Dino

I knew there was something wrong with you.  ;)

I ended up ordering Krylon battery terminal protection. I'll shoot it over silver and I'll have the option to make it look dipped or not.