News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is MY Superbird worth today?

Started by 70Sbird, April 05, 2016, 03:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Thanks to everyone and their opinions!
This helps. I had dropped the level of insurance I was carrying on the car a bit in about 2010, I may need to revisit that decision, but it is nice to know that the values are up. I've had a tough time explaining to my wife that I was offered $100,000 for the car at one point, I have since put about $15,000 into it and it was only worth around $80K! That math wasn't working for her.... :smilielol:
As I said I don't have any current plans to sell, but I need to make some decisions by this summer and the value of the Supeturd was one of the things in play.
Thanks
Scott

Scott Faulkner

wingcarenvy

80K for a good honest Superbird is a steal today. The market as a whole is swelling in price. I am 42 years old and most of my friends are in this age range too. WE all grew up in the 80's riding BMX bikes and watched the cool kids in school strut their stuff in muscle cars from the 60s. There is still a lot of people in my age group that covet the muscle cars from the 60's. The muscle car market will continue to be strong for decades in the future. But thats just my perspective.

A12 Superbee

Quote from: wingcarenvy on April 09, 2016, 10:54:39 PM
80K for a good honest Superbird is a steal today. The market as a whole is swelling in price. I am 42 years old and most of my friends are in this age range too. WE all grew up in the 80's riding BMX bikes and watched the cool kids in school strut their stuff in muscle cars from the 60s. There is still a lot of people in my age group that covet the muscle cars from the 60's. The muscle car market will continue to be strong for decades in the future. But thats just my perspective.

Spot on! I'm 47 and in Australia, no US muscle cars out here when I was a kid, just movies (Bullit, Vanishing Point etc) and kids like me dreamed of owning a US muscle car. There are plenty of 'Aussie muscle cars' but they are all small blocks and over-priced and the average punter will never be able to afford one, so clones are big here and US muscle is bigger! I cannot begin to tell you how much US Muscle is out here now and I have little kids and old men clawing over my car (A12 Superbee) every show it goes to, it pulls more people than local 'muscle cars'.

There's going to be a day when the market dries up for sure, but there's 20-30 years left in it. A good tip would if you are in your sixties and holding on to a few exotic muscle cars, sell up soon and keep the one that makes you happy, and if your'e around 30 years old then just buy your dream car from the get go and never worry about what it might be worth when you are 60, if the market dries up then you're stuck with a car that you'd likely never part with anyway, not to mention all the joy its bought you.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

smithenhiven

Quote from: A12 Superbee on April 10, 2016, 10:49:57 PM

Spot on! I'm 47 and in Australia, no US muscle cars out here when I was a kid, just movies (Bullit, Vanishing Point etc) and kids like me dreamed of owning a US muscle car. There are plenty of 'Aussie muscle cars' but they are all small blocks and over-priced and the average punter will never be able to afford one, so clones are big here and US muscle is bigger! I cannot begin to tell you how much US Muscle is out here now and I have little kids and old men clawing over my car (A12 Superbee) every show it goes to, it pulls more people than local 'muscle cars'.

There's going to be a day when the market dries up for sure, but there's 20-30 years left in it. A good tip would if you are in your sixties and holding on to a few exotic muscle cars, sell up soon and keep the one that makes you happy, and if your'e around 30 years old then just buy your dream car from the get go and never worry about what it might be worth when you are 60, if the market dries up then you're stuck with a car that you'd likely never part with anyway, not to mention all the joy its bought you.

Exactly!  Im 33, I've wanted a 70 Charger for as long as I can remember.  I was finally able to make that dream happen recently.  Granted its not a wing car and its value is only a fraction of one, but I bought it not caring what its value will be in the future.  When I die, it will left to my kids, and if they dont want it, they can sell it for what ever its worth at that time.

boss429kiwi

Disagree!
My first car was a Ford Cortina, it did not mean I was going to have Cortinas for the rest of my life.
My second car at 18 was a Ford Falcon XAGT coupe, it did not mean I was going to only be interested in Fords for the rest of my life. etc
The youth will drive what they can afford now/today.
I believe the current new muscle cars (05-2016) will be very popular to the younger generation, and lets be honest, if they are going to own a 2010 GT500, they will want a 1968 GT500 once they can afford it etc etc.

The movie makers today, know what their market is. For example, the Fast and Furious franchise are marketing to the 12-25 year old males and females, and look what the leading cars are, in all their movies, old school muscle.
Gone in 60 seconds, did not use a Nissan Skyline etc
Transformers, did not use a Mazda 1974 RX4

They know what they are doing, and they know their market.

As long as natural still makes testosterone, there will be muscle cars :)
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Hemi Runner

Quote from: boss429kiwi on May 18, 2016, 09:40:12 PM

As long as natural still makes testosterone, there will be muscle cars :)

If you look at the current crop of sissy men and what's in the media right now, I would expect to see the end of Muscle Cars real soon! :lol:

boss429kiwi

Quote from: boss429kiwi on May 18, 2016, 09:40:12 PM

Disagree!
My first car was a Ford Cortina, it did not mean I was going to have Cortinas for the rest of my life.
My second car at 18 was a Ford Falcon XAGT coupe, it did not mean I was going to only be interested in Fords for the rest of my life. etc
The youth will drive what they can afford now/today.
I believe the current new muscle cars (05-2016) will be very popular to the younger generation, and lets be honest, if they are going to own a 2010 GT500, they will want a 1968 GT500 once they can afford it etc etc.

The movie makers today, know what their market is. For example, the Fast and Furious franchise are marketing to the 12-25 year old males and females, and look what the leading cars are, in all their movies, old school muscle.
Gone in 60 seconds, did not use a Nissan Skyline etc
Transformers, did not use a Mazda 1974 RX4

They know what they are doing, and they know their market.

As long as nature still makes testosterone, there will be muscle cars :)

Hmm, good point  :scratchchin:
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

winged69

Thinking of this what wingcars are worth.People have said Model T's and Model A's were history but up here in Canada young folk love these things and their values are still up or going up. They will not be made again and as we know the attrition rates have happened and many are now in scrap metal yards or already made into new sewer parts.
The good part for us musclecar lovers is that our cars are way over what they sold for originally new . We did not buy a new truck worth $90,000 and then have it depreciate as soon as you drive off the lot. We have weathered the drop  in values a few years ago and I think the market has finally hit a correction. Most did not buy just to have the value appreciate, we bought because we wanted one, liked the looks or just wanted something no one else had. Enjoy your car , keep it and as they say use it. We all have a life expectancy and when we are gone maybe the car will still go to someone who will enjoy the car the same. Or it will be melted down. I have full plans of taking my Daytona with me, maybe buried in it. This causes a lot of horror from fellow car collectors.
This not a rant, but enjoy your car. If you decide to sell remember the depreciation on new vehicles and a bit of a loss will not hurt so bad. But also for buyers, remember the seller owns the car and may not have or want to sell.

Aero426

Model A's and T's are not necessarily going up in value.   But they are not going down either.    There are buyers for them and certain body style are in demand.    I have friends who bought a nice driver restored pickup for about 12k.    It was a very good deal.   They use it to "go to town" to run errands and are having a lot of fun with it.