News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona/500 A pillar molding

Started by panhead, April 14, 2016, 06:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panhead

Good evening,

I was wondering if someone could give the thickness of a original a-pillar molding. Thanks in advance.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

DAY CLONA

Quote from: panhead on April 14, 2016, 06:50:15 PM
Good evening,

I was wondering if someone could give the thickness of a original a-pillar molding. Thanks in advance.

Curt

.020 thick stainless (24 gauge)

panhead

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 14, 2016, 09:49:22 PM
Good evening,

I'm looking into making me a set for my. I made the right hand side yesterday out of 22gauge just to see if I could do it. I'm i the trail and error stage right now.

Curt

Thanks  Mike
Is stainless hard to work, I never messed with it before.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

DAY CLONA

Quote from: panhead on April 15, 2016, 06:43:37 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 14, 2016, 09:49:22 PM
Good evening,

I'm looking into making me a set for my. I made the right hand side yesterday out of 22gauge just to see if I could do it. I'm i the trail and error stage right now.

Curt

Thanks  Mike
Is stainless hard to work, I never messed with it before.

Curt

Think of working stainless as double the thickness of steel, example: .020 stainless is like working .040 steel, so plan your project based on knowing what you can work/handle in steel

Mike

panhead

Thanks for the heads up about the stainless steel. I'm having a hard time finding the steel in this town.  :brickwall:
I'm looking at making me a set. The worst I can do is mess up some stainless steel.   :scratchchin: 

Curt.
69' Dodge Charger 500

DAY CLONA

Quote from: panhead on April 15, 2016, 03:53:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the stainless steel. I'm having a hard time finding the steel in this town.  :brickwall:
I'm looking at making me a set. The worst I can do is mess up some stainless steel.   :scratchchin: 

Curt.

I generally purchase small quantities of SS from www.mcmastercarr.com they list/carry a variety of gauge sizes, sheet/roll sizes, as well as plain, mill finish, and assorted polished finishes on SS sheets

Mike

panhead

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 15, 2016, 06:17:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the stainless steel. I'm having a hard time finding the steel in this town.  :brickwall:
I'm looking at making me a set. The worst I can do is mess up some stainless steel.   :scratchchin:  

Curt.

I generally purchase small quantities of SS from www.mcmastercarr.com they list/carry a variety of gauge sizes, sheet/roll sizes, as well as plain, mill finish, and assorted polished finishes on SS sheets

Mike

Ok, I need to be schooled on the types. What would be a good type for the a pillar trim?  
Thanks
Bye the way, I like that web site.   :2thumbs:
Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

A383Wing

there is a member here that reproduces the chrome A-pillar trim pieces, if you are looking to buy....great quality.....He made a set for me, they look great

Bryan

C500

Quote from: A383Wing on April 15, 2016, 07:00:56 PM
there is a member here that reproduces the chrome A-pillar trim pieces, if you are looking to buy....great quality.....He made a set for me, they look great

Bryan

DAYTONALO
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

A383Wing

yes, daytonalo makes the A-pillar chrome and the trunk hinges....if you want his number, send me a PM, I won't post his number in an open forum

Bryan

DAY CLONA

Quote from: panhead on April 15, 2016, 06:39:52 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 15, 2016, 06:17:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the stainless steel. I'm having a hard time finding the steel in this town.  :brickwall:
I'm looking at making me a set. The worst I can do is mess up some stainless steel.   :scratchchin:  

Curt.

Mike

Ok, I need to be schooled on the types. What would be a good type for the a pillar trim?  
Thanks
Bye the way, I like that web site.   :2thumbs:
Curt

304 stainless is the most common alloy for forming, takes to being worked without cracking to a degree, with stainless it gets work hardened faster than steel, so plan any forming or shaping in/on a steel test subject to develop your method and minimize your working of the shape desired before attempting it on stainless

here's the custom 4pc stainless windshield header trim I made for the 71 GTX convertible project a few years ago, 304 grade, combination of some brake work, corking on a wooden form, hammer and dolly, shrink/stretcher, NO cutting or welding needed

Mike

panhead

Thanks for the information Mike. I'll follow your gudiness.

A383wing and C500, Thanks for the heads up about daytonalo. I'll keep that in mind if this goes south.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

So, I made the right side for now. It's made out of 22gauge steel. Here are some pictures.

Curt.
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

And the last for now.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

DAY CLONA

Geez...didn't waste any time :icon_smile_big: looks good Curt, I'll assume you have JR's car to tool/mock up off of?

Mike

panhead

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 16, 2016, 09:19:26 PM
Geez...didn't waste any time :icon_smile_big: looks good Curt, I'll assume you have JR's car to tool/mock up off of?

Mike

Just working on this project between doing the body work on the car.
I used my C500 for a guide, and checked it against JR's car today. I'll get in contact with that web sight next week and order some stain so I can give it a try. Thanks for the help and guidance.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

Hemi Runner

Will those steel ones work on a superbird? I don't want stainless and would be glad to buy the steel ones from you.

hemi68charger

Superbird version will have two punched hole on the middle centerline since they are attached that way, not the complicated 500/Daytona way..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DAY CLONA

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 18, 2016, 02:26:10 PM
Superbird version will have two punched hole on the middle centerline since they are attached that way, not the complicated 500/Daytona way..

Troy, you could help someone out that's contemplating the fabrication of a SB set, by posting those dimensions,and or pics?....

Mike

panhead

Well made a set and happy with the way they turned out and with my pattern. I ordered some 304  24 gauge stainless. I'm now waiting on the delivery so I can try it out for real.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

WINGMAN

69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

farm966

daytonalo

As always amazing work mike!! I wouldn't know where to start on that part !
Thanks for the plug guys  !
I still make to order Mirror polished stainless steel A-pillar trim  for DAYTONA/ 500/ SUPERBIRD . I have been doing it for over ten years and average sales of one set a month worldwide and my trims have been on a  Grave Yard cars .
From time to time I offer Die bent Daytona trunk hinges as well , may have a set left .
I take great pride in everything I do and I'm extremely fussy and wont settle for anything less than perfection . I have tweaked the design over the years to as close in appearance to original but improved installation and fit as compared to the original . The last batch of Mirror stainless has been .034 very difficult ( usually .030 ) cant complain all my stainless is free , a buddy runs a major local Mil-Spec sheet metal machine shop  

Also manufacturing Nomad stainless headliner bow set , 749.00 set

If anyone here wants a set I will do 399.00shipped lower 48 , checks are fine , please call first
609-315 -two six four zero

Larry      

daytonalo

Hinges

panhead

Ok, so I made the left a-pillar today in stainless, JR stopped by yesterday and brought his original trim by and so I made another pattern, and we found out his was magnetic  :scratchchin:. My C500 isn't, by chance did they make some out of steel, or is there a stainless that is magnetic. But here is some pics. The shinny one is JR's.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

And the last three for now.

69' Dodge Charger 500

Hemi Runner

Some of the low grade 304 stainles will be magnetic.

C500

Quote from: daytonalo on May 01, 2016, 09:03:37 AM
As always amazing work mike!! I wouldn't know where to start on that part !
Thanks for the plug guys  !
I still make to order Mirror polished stainless steel A-pillar trim  for DAYTONA/ 500/ SUPERBIRD . I have been doing it for over ten years and average sales of one set a month worldwide and my trims have been on a  Grave Yard cars .
From time to time I offer Die bent Daytona trunk hinges as well , may have a set left .
I take great pride in everything I do and I'm extremely fussy and wont settle for anything less than perfection . I have tweaked the design over the years to as close in appearance to original but improved installation and fit as compared to the original . The last batch of Mirror stainless has been .034 very difficult ( usually .030 ) cant complain all my stainless is free , a buddy runs a major local Mil-Spec sheet metal machine shop  

Also manufacturing Nomad stainless headliner bow set , 749.00 set

If anyone here wants a set I will do 399.00shipped lower 48 , checks are fine , please call first
609-315 -two six four zero

Larry      

:2thumbs: keep up the good work, If I didn't have an original set of A pillar trims on my 500, I would have no hesitation putting a pair of yours on
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

wingcarenvy

Man there is some real killer metal fab stuff here. Just a thought though, I know stainless is correct (403 is magnetic BTW)but what about doing mild steel and having it chromed? I know I would rather have stainless on an original car but a clone I think I would rather have a chrome plated one. Just a thought.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: wingcarenvy on May 05, 2016, 10:27:07 AM
Man there is some real killer metal fab stuff here. Just a thought though, I know stainless is correct (403 is magnetic BTW)but what about doing mild steel and having it chromed? I know I would rather have stainless on an original car but a clone I think I would rather have a chrome plated one. Just a thought.

You could just have the stainless chromed...if you desire chrome

panhead

I've got a single polish on them and they don't look to bad, I'll get the last of the polishing done and then I can check that item off the list. 
:yesnod:  Thanks for all the help and guidance.

Curt 
69' Dodge Charger 500

panhead

and some more
69' Dodge Charger 500

WINGMAN

Can I put a order in  :drool5: (Wingman)  JR.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Hemi Runner

Quote from: WINGMAN on May 06, 2016, 10:25:08 AM
  Can I put a order in  :drool5: (Wingman)  JR.
Lol, I offered to buy his steel ones as I'm going to powdercoat mine body color but I didn't get the impression he was interested.