News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona vs Superbird

Started by out there, May 09, 2016, 07:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

out there

I know the Daytonas are much more rare. How do they compare in terms of what they are worth?  Say a car that needs total restoration, a decent driveable car,
an extremely nice restoration.  And how important are the numbers matching in each category. I know there are some very knowledgeable guys on here.
Thanks for your ideas

hemi68charger

Quote from: out there on May 09, 2016, 07:36:15 PM
I know the Daytonas are much more rare. How do they compare in terms of what they are worth?  Say a car that needs total restoration, a decent driveable car,
an extremely nice restoration.  And how important are the numbers matching in each category. I know there are some very knowledgeable guys on here.
Thanks for your ideas

1. needs total restoration ( depends on what's there and what's not )...... You can have a complete car that needs to be totally restored to that if a car that's missing a bunch of the Daytona-specific parts ( big time expense there ).

2. A decent driver: Again, depends on the car, color, drivetrain, etc...... could be anywhere from 85,000 to 125,000

3. Extremely nice restoration: depends on drivetrain and color for the most part.. 125,000 to 200,000+... If 426 Hemi car, big time money

4. Numbers matching: in our mopar world, that means drivetrain is original or not..... To each their own.. I personally could care less if a car had its original motor or tranny.. Is it nice, of course.... Now, some big-time investors will only consider a car with its original drivetrain. When it comes to a low-production car like a Daytona, they have just reduce the number of cars to buy significantly...

These are just my views... Of course, you're asking a jaded group of people here since we like Chargers a lot.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

odcics2

Numbers matching separates the men from the boys. 
As rare as the cars are, that steps it up a notch.    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

out there

Some very good information. I was also wondering how much premium a Daytona would carry because of limited production. There seem to be many less available.  NADA, not that it is all that relevant, gives a 5% premium for a 4 speed car. Seems to me it would be higher.
Thanks for the responses.

boss429kiwi

Quote from: out there on May 10, 2016, 05:10:11 PM
Some very good information. I was also wondering how much premium a Daytona would carry because of limited production. There seem to be many less available.  NADA, not that it is all that relevant, gives a 5% premium for a 4 speed car. Seems to me it would be higher.
Thanks for the responses.

I have always thought the NADA 5% for a 4 speed on a MOPAR was low.
The Mustang 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed is 15%.

When it comes to MOPAR, I believe the biggest price variance is colour (not taking into count HEMI.
Following auctions, I have found a 6pk, 4 speed, Superbird does not have the same premium as one would expect, to a 440/4, auto, but colour seems to have a bigger impact on price.   
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

ksquared

Quote from: boss429kiwi on May 10, 2016, 06:16:20 PM

When it comes to MOPAR, I believe the biggest price variance is colour (not taking into count HEMI.

I have always wondered this too, is there a sort of "color hierarchy" among Daytonas and then among Superbirds?  I guess for Daytonas it is Q5 Turquoise, which while a spectacular color has always seemed to be a bit surprising since it wasn't so popular back in 1969, almost as if being unpopular then has made it sought after now.  In my opinion, it would be Black/Red Interior/Red Wing.  I never understood why they put the typical black interior into so many Daytonas.

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on May 10, 2016, 09:44:00 AM

How so? The only thing separating the "men" from the "boys" is the duration on waiting to find that "right" car and maybe deeper wallets. While the "men" are waiting to find their perfect color combination, drivetrain combination, physical condition with its original motor and tranny, the "boys" are out actually driving their perfect color combination, drivetrain combination, physical condition with it's replacement/warranty block down the road....... All the while, the "men" are staring at the "boys" driving by.. Maybe the "boys" can let the "men" ride shotgun.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

odcics2

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 11, 2016, 06:27:39 AM

How so? The only thing separating the "men" from the "boys" is the duration on waiting to find that "right" car and maybe deeper wallets. While the "men" are waiting to find their perfect color combination, drivetrain combination, physical condition with its original motor and tranny, the "boys" are out actually driving their perfect color combination, drivetrain combination, physical condition with it's replacement/warranty block down the road....... All the while, the "men" are staring at the "boys" driving by.. Maybe the "boys" can let the "men" ride shotgun.....  :icon_smile_big:

Obviously, in this scenario, the "men" have "toy cars" to play with but also a numbers matching ride to parade around in!
They have it brought around in front of the mansion on nice sunny days to drive...   :lol:

62 Max

Yep, parked at my Mansion !

Q5XX29

I drive mine all the time. Numbers matching, etc. Would be a shame to not see these beautiful cars in motion- they look so much better on the street than standing still in a garage.
dakota_gt on Instagram

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on May 11, 2016, 06:44:50 AM

Obviously, in this scenario, the "men" have "toy cars" to play with but also a numbers matching ride to parade around in!
They have it brought around in front of the mansion on nice sunny days to drive...   :lol:

Well, I guess I break the mold.... I parade around in my non-matching Hemi Daytona toy......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

odcics2

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 11, 2016, 01:21:29 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on May 11, 2016, 06:44:50 AM

Well, I guess I break the mold.... I parade around in my non-matching Hemi Daytona toy......  :icon_smile_big:

Showoff!    :cheers:

kiwitrev

to the original question daytona about 25% more than the same spec and condition superbird and the superbirds take longer to sell (unless the daytona is at the top of what it should be worth) its a supply issue when i was shopping i had my pick of 20 birds or 3 daytonas
if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

out there

Quote from: kiwitrev on May 13, 2016, 12:03:19 AM
to the original question daytona about 25% more than the same spec and condition superbird and the superbirds take longer to sell (unless the daytona is at the top of what it should be worth) its a supply issue when i was shopping i had my pick of 20 birds or 3 daytonas

Thanks. This is exactly what I was wondering. 25% makes sense to me.