News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

15x8s rubbing when I turn?

Started by rikubot, April 19, 2016, 07:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

you need to measure the rear end drum face to drum face. 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Have you visually seen where it is rubbing?

rikubot

I'll see if I can get that measurement tomorrow.

Nah, it's not rubbing hard enough to leave a trace. I'm about 80% sure it's leaf spring, but that's a solid 1.5 in away from the tire...
'69 Charger, 440/727

cdr

Quote from: rikubot on April 26, 2016, 11:04:53 PM

Nah, it's not rubbing hard enough to leave a trace. I'm about 80% sure it's leaf spring, but that's a solid 1.5 in away from the tire...

it is probably rubbing on the inner wheel well . if i get my car in a bind pulling in my drive way it just touches the inner well .
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

from what I can find 60 1/8 drum to drum 1968 - 1970 b body

rikubot

Thanks for the info, cdr. I'll try to get those numbers before the weather gets bad. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's happening  :icon_smile_angry:
'69 Charger, 440/727

HPP

Quote from: cdr on April 26, 2016, 11:09:25 PM
Quote from: rikubot on April 26, 2016, 11:04:53 PM

it is probably rubbing on the inner wheel well . if i get my car in a bind pulling in my drive way it just touches the inner well .

Based on the pictures you've provided, I tend to agree with that its the inner well. Thinking of the way the rear end pivots, it will angle the tires into the inner wheel housing. The whole axle rises and falls at angles to the wells when the body rolls. The leaf springs tend to either rub all the time, or not at all. The sidewall of the tire half way up the diamter of the tire where it crosses the leaf spring very rarely deflects at all much less an inch and a half.

RallyeMike

QuoteI'm about 80% sure it's leaf spring, but that's a solid 1.5 in away from the tire...

I agree with HPP. Looking at your photos you can write off the leaf springs as the source.

If you determine that the inner well is the contact point, your choices to eliminate the rubbing are new wheels, wider axle, or wheel spacers. I'm personally not thrilled with wheel spacers, but they are available from lots of sources.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

rikubot

That makes a lot of sense. Huge bummer, but that's gotta be it. I'll smear some chalk on it and go around the block just to make sure. Two questions: how difficult/expensive is an axle swap? And how come you are not a fan of wheel spacers? To be honest, im not either, especially if it means I have to pull the axle anyway and change out my wheel studs.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

cdr

look at the other side & see if it is the same distance .

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

cdr

Quote from: rikubot on April 27, 2016, 10:26:23 PM
It looks just about the same.

like I said measure drum to drum, 65-67 rear end is a little narrower. & will bolt in.

RallyeMike

An axle swap is not very difficult, but it depends on how easy it is to find one and what condition its in. Physically replacing one with another is quite simple other than it's heavy.

I'm not a fan of wheel spacers because you lose the hub centric fit of your wheel to the axle. Of course lots of mag wheels create this condition. Not a disaster... just not as good as running without them. They are an inexpensive alternative to solving tire clearance problems. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

rikubot

Please excuse me if this question is too stupid, but what the the "hub centric fit?" Haha
'69 Charger, 440/727

HPP

Quote from: cdr on April 27, 2016, 10:47:00 PM

like I said measure drum to drum, 65-67 rear end is a little narrower. & will bolt in.

If his rubbing is on the inner fender well, a narrower rear would be a bad idea. If its rubbing on the outer lip, then it would be the best solution. we need rikubot to confirm where the rubbing occurs.

Another alternative is a wheel with less negative offset. This would pull the wheel/tire away from the inner fender. Or more positive offset, to pull it away from the opening lip.

hub-centric means the hub opening in the wheel rests on the hub lip on the axle. This puts the location and support for the wheel directly on the axle with the wheel stud providign clamping force and shear resistance. Without being hub centric, this loading is put on the  wheel studs instead of the hub. 

We really need you to confirm the contact point.

Whether or not you should do something about depends on where it is, how hard it is, and how often it is contacting. Also whether or not it is occurring on  both sides or only one is a factor as well as they may drive different corrections. Like I said previously, it is odd that a 275 on an 8" rim would rub in the rear, so something in your vehicle is different than a number of other cars.

cdr

Quote from: HPP on April 28, 2016, 09:47:28 AM
Quote from: cdr on April 27, 2016, 10:47:00 PM

If his rubbing is on the inner fender well, a narrower rear would be a bad idea. If its rubbing on the outer lip, then it would be the best solution. we need rikubot to confirm where the rubbing occurs.

Another alternative is a wheel with less negative offset. This would pull the wheel/tire away from the inner fender. Or more positive offset, to pull it away from the opening lip.

hub-centric means the hub opening in the wheel rests on the hub lip on the axle. This puts the location and support for the wheel directly on the axle with the wheel stud providign clamping force and shear resistance. Without being hub centric, this loading is put on the  wheel studs instead of the hub.  

We really need you to confirm the contact point.

Whether or not you should do something about depends on where it is, how hard it is, and how often it is contacting. Also whether or not it is occurring on  both sides or only one is a factor as well as they may drive different corrections. Like I said previously, it is odd that a 275 on an 8" rim would rub in the rear, so something in your vehicle is different than a number of other cars.

I did not say to put a narrower rear end in the car .  my point was that someone MAY have put a 65-67 housing in this car.

rikubot

It would not surprise me one bit if my rear axles were swapped at one point. My poor baby has been tinkered with in pretty much every way possible. One reason I went with the 15x8 magnums was because everyone said there was plenty of room with NO rubbing issues. It's raining out now otherwise I'd get that drum to drum measurement for you guys. Thanks for all the interest and help so far
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

Based on the pictures posted, it should clear. If its rubbing, it should be barely. Nothing a ball peen hammer in the proper location cant fix and be undetectable. Chalk-testdrive- report back 1st.