News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Specialty tool for Windows

Started by 72Charger72, March 09, 2016, 10:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger72

I was trying to remove the windows from the doors and it was a real pain with these little washer type backers holding the glass to the rails....what are these called and is there a specialty tool for them? I will probably need to rebuild the guts on the doors also...anywhere to get parts for them?
Thanks

miller time

Looks like a wrench for a grinder might fit in it  :shruggy:

72Charger72

I could almost get a window handle tool to work if I bent the tips....but it was just a little too small...grinder wrench would be way too big ...

Lennard

Needle nose pliers and a flat screw driver.

72Charger72

problem is thats on the back side of the glass while your trying to remove the mounting screws...I end up using a channel lock to get the reach I needed but its going to be a real pain to put back together.

Lennard

If restoring a classic car was easy,  everybody would do it.  ;)

72Charger72

Quote from: Lennard on March 10, 2016, 09:54:21 AM
If restoring a classic car was easy,  everybody would do it.  ;)
:2thumbs: so true! but that's the joy of it...I just know using the right tool can make life a whole lot easier! and the way these look it seems they had some sort of tool for this....I might have to make something  if there isn't anything really for it?  :rotz:
I am wondering how  others have tackled putting these back on once the glass is inside the doors?

Lennard

Both my cars are still apart so I haven't tackled that problem yet.

72Charger72

ok forget the tool does anyone know what this is called as I will need to replace the current ones ...the pads on the glass side are dry rotted?
Thanks!

72Charger72

OK so there just called fastners....  :icon_smile_tongue: seems the repro's are plastic....

miller time

If it's not too late, what about some plastic washers maybe from ace and some rubber hose? If its like my window trouble it could save you a lot, I was 1 double roller short, (mine was trashed and cost $80 plus shipping) I had to buy a whole quarter window kit
Good luck and God speed

72Charger72

Thanks Miller Time you know I could see that working and saving some cash...found a rebuild kit for 48.00 but only need 25 cents worth of it haha

miller time

Quote from: 72Charger72 on March 16, 2016, 07:19:43 AM
found a rebuild kit for 48.00 but only need 25 cents worth of it haha

Story of my life haha, your welcome, I try to save when I can that's why I'm a mechanic and a welder

72Charger72

Quote from: miller time on March 16, 2016, 08:21:10 AM
Quote from: 72Charger72 on March 16, 2016, 07:19:43 AM
found a rebuild kit for 48.00 but only need 25 cents worth of it haha

Story of my life haha, your welcome, I try to save when I can that's why I'm a mechanic and a welder
I bought a welder for this project but Im not a welder  :rofl: and Im terrified to attempt floor pan replacements etc...but I will have to learn I guess... :brickwall:

miller time

Well I'm going to assume it's a MIG or Harbor freight flux core (the old blue$100 one works good)? Go on YouTube and check out chuckE2009 he has almost 800 videos and can teach you things, but you just need to practice on scrap steel, get a copper spoon and a grinder with a flapper wheel, and you'll get good enough to do floors :2thumbs:, if you get stuck feel free to ask

72Charger72

Quote from: miller time on March 18, 2016, 05:50:44 AM
Well I'm going to assume it's a MIG or Harbor freight flux core (the old blue$100 one works good)? Go on YouTube and check out chuckE2009 he has almost 800 videos and can teach you things, but you just need to practice on scrap steel, get a copper spoon and a grinder with a flapper wheel, and you'll get good enough to do floors :2thumbs:, if you get stuck feel free to ask
Thanks Miller Time and Yep 110v Blue Flux Core with Argon add-on Im not afraid of welding Im afraid of ruining 700.00 worth of floor pans  :RantExplode: haha...but I do have the old inner fender panels I removed...the old floor pans from the 71 and was going to practice on them since they are about the same thickness. Body goes to dipping next week  :popcrn:
Looks like a You Tube day!

miller time

Quote from: 72Charger72 on March 18, 2016, 06:53:08 AM
Quote from: miller time on March 18, 2016, 05:50:44 AM
Thanks Miller Time and Yep 110v Blue Flux Core with Argon add-on Im not afraid of welding Im afraid of ruining 700.00 worth of floor pans  :RantExplode: haha...but I do have the old inner fender panels I removed...the old floor pans from the 71 and was going to practice on them since they are about the same thickness. Body goes to dipping next week  :popcrn:
Looks like a You Tube day!

I have a saying, there's nothing you can't build with a cutting torch and welder, its hard to "ruin" metal we use for the body, if you had the time and patience you could make a whole floor board out weld, make a copper spoon out of copper pipe, or buy one, you can weld thin metal with small trigger pulses, you can do likem1\4 to 1\2 welds with spaces between and go back and continue, you will blow holes but with a spoon, patience and a grinder you'll be fine! Hopefully chucke2009 helped

72Charger72

Quote from: miller time on March 18, 2016, 09:20:50 PM

I have a saying, there's nothing you can't build with a cutting torch and welder, its hard to "ruin" metal we use for the body, if you had the time and patience you could make a whole floor board out weld, make a copper spoon out of copper pipe, or buy one, you can weld thin metal with small trigger pulses, you can do likem1\4 to 1\2 welds with spaces between and go back and continue, you will blow holes but with a spoon, patience and a grinder you'll be fine! Hopefully chucke2009 helped
Just finished some chucke2009 videos feel much better about burn through now....Thanks again Miller Time but what do you mean by spoon? Didnt see that in the videos?
time for some practice!

4aThrill

Partsmix.com and classic industries sells the window hardware kits.