News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disaster averted

Started by Firetodd, May 02, 2016, 03:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetodd

I finally dealt with the humming 8 3/4" rear end and had the third member rebuilt with a new Eaton True Trac, new bearings, gears, and yoke. Feeling really good, I put it all together and have driven it gingerly the past few days to let the new gears wear in. Today I took the car on some errands and while cruising, the whole car suddenly started shaking violently. I shifted into nuetral and it still shook. I pulled over and looked the car over and couldn't see anything wrong.

I was feeling it in the pit of my stomach, "did I just spend $1100 and the rear end crapped out?!" I was only a couple blocks from my work and so I drove there. I was able to climb under the edge of the car and found that one of my ujoint caps was completely off! I called a friend and he brought me a jack and some stands, along with a new ujoint from my garage. I had purchased two, but only replaced the rear when I put in the rear end. I noticed that my new ujoint had 5 retainer clips in the opened box. I must have forgot to put in one of the retainers! Anyway, the new u joint went in and she drove great home. It's hard going through life making dumb mistakes lol.

charge69

You are lucky the driveshaft did not drop to the pavement while you were moving.  Especially if it was the front universal!  Glad everything worked out.

It's funny, most all dumb mistakes end up costing you "Big Time" .   Yours could have but, fate was on your side!

Firetodd

It was the rear ujoint. And yes I was very lucky. I must be living right!

Magnumcharger

Don't feel bad! You're not alone with the brain farts!
I installed a driveshaft on my '68 Charger R/T, placed the caps on the u-joint and started the bolts into the yoke...then got called away for something or another. Hours later, took the Charger for a "power demonstration drive" with my brother in law. One full power launch and the bolts sheared, the yoke ripped apart and the driveshaft made origami out of the floorboards...followed by the driveshaft passing me on the road.
Embarrassing?
Yes!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed