News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 with edlebrock carb, adjustment question...

Started by UH60L, April 30, 2016, 03:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

Wow, that just seems like way too much.  From all I have read online and talking to several people today at a car show, it seems like I need a wee bit more timing and a wee bit more fuel.

I might try the timing first, I hate the idea of having to tear into the carb...

SRT-440

I haven't changed carbs yet cuz I'm about to do a FITech fuel injection kit on it. Hopefully it will run better plus I'm more familiar with fuel injection than carbs.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

myk

Quote from: UH60L on May 29, 2016, 11:33:01 PM
Wow, that just seems like way too much.  From all I have read online and talking to several people today at a car show, it seems like I need a wee bit more timing and a wee bit more fuel.

I might try the timing first, I hate the idea of having to tear into the carb...

Today's garbage gasoline doesn't allow us to run anything close to the timing specs of the 60's.  Also, tinkering with the Edelbrock Performer is easy, it's just the results don't manifest like they should since they have very limited tuning ability...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

charger_fan_4ever

Holley 4150 pretty hard to beat as far as reliability and ease of adjusting. Measure manifold vacuum at idle to get the correct power valve, jet kit, screwdriver and a couple sets of squirters done deal.

I put 10,000 miles on a sbf with a holley hp 750(no choke tower/mechanical) car could sit a week 1 pump of the pedal and fired right up(electric pump) even in the cool fall hold the idle up to 1500-2000 for 10 seconds and idle on its own.

I'm definitely going with a holley on the 440.

UH60L

Quote from: myk on May 30, 2016, 04:17:56 AM

Today's garbage gasoline doesn't allow us to run anything close to the timing specs of the 60's.  Also, tinkering with the Edelbrock Performer is easy, it's just the results don't manifest like they should since they have very limited tuning ability...

Just a thought, are you running premium in your car?  I have been running plus so far, since getting mine started again.  Maybe next time I top it off I'll switch...

UH60L

Sorry it's been a while.  Darn heater core went out on the way to a car show, fortunately I hadn't installed carpet yet. 

Ok, so we adjusted the timing to roughly 15 BTDC, and I put the accelerator pump back on the top notch, and that eliminated 99% of the stumbling/off idle issues I was having.

Every once in a while I still notice just a hint of it, but then it's gone.  I did notice that at roughly a half inch of pedal applied during a quick acceleration, I had a small amount of pinging, but it always went away.  Might need to just run premium.  I'll put some in next time.

myk

Quote from: UH60L on May 30, 2016, 03:53:26 PM
Quote from: myk on May 30, 2016, 04:17:56 AM

Just a thought, are you running premium in your car?  I have been running plus so far, since getting mine started again.  Maybe next time I top it off I'll switch...

Ooh sorry I didn't see your question.  Yes I run premium or 91 octane in my Charger; it will not behave with anything else.   You mean to say 15* of initial timing right?   How did you arrive at that number?  The recommended way is to keep adding timing until the motor starts to run rough at idle.  Regardless, you've improved things by setting the car @15*.  What's the mechanical advanced timing number and total advance number?   Are you using the vacuum advance on the distributor?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"