News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Model A Fords

Started by lloyd3, May 03, 2016, 10:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Saw an article about an employee at Hagerty Insurance deciding to drive nothing but a 1930 Model A Tudor for an entire year and documenting the experience. This was in northern Michigan, not southern California, so it was not without some hardships. The car did/does have some minor modifications (safety glass all round, seatbelts, electric wiper motor, radial tires, upgraded tail lights) but it still has a 6-volt system and mechanical brakes.  I found myself being quite impressed by the overall drivability of the car in some pretty challenging conditions.  Surprisingly feasible transportation, considering that its over 85-years old now.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHKcQw0bO0

marshallfry01

That is so cool! My grandpa has a 1931 A model coupe with the rumble seat.  It was parked in his barn since 1953 until about 3 years ago.  The barn was getting in rough shape and we moved it to another shed.  He tore the barn down and built a 40x60 shop.  I am planning on restoring it after I am finished with college.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Patronus

I'm always looking for a nice AA with a box. Love those trucks  :cheers:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

lloyd3

Another thing that caught my attention is that restored & very drivable versions are available for very little money (like $12 to $15K). The market for these cars has been soft for some time now (the folks that knew & loved them are, sadly, heading for the exits). Nobody (well.....darn few) wants a car anymore with only minimal creature comforts, a 6-volt electrical system, and mechanical brakes so.... they aren't the investments that they maybe once were.   What I find strangely appealing about them is their spectacular build quality and relative ease of maintenance. For just puttering around town in mild weather & low-speed situations, I would think that they'd be just fine & kind-of fun. They are, after all, the original economy cars. The "coolness" factor is also undeniable, especially for a history buff such as myself.  They sure beat the hell out of a modified golf cart. 

Aero426

Quote from: lloyd3 on May 03, 2016, 11:18:24 PM
Another thing that caught my attention is that restored & very drivable versions are available for very little money (like $12 to $15K). The market for these cars has been soft for some time now (the folks that knew & loved them are, sadly, heading for the exits). Nobody (well.....darn few) wants a car anymore with only minimal creature comforts, a 6-volt electrical system, and mechanical brakes so.... they aren't the investments that they maybe once were.   What I find strangely appealing about them is their spectacular build quality and relative ease of maintenance. For just puttering around town in mild weather & low-speed situations, I would think that they'd be just fine & kind-of fun. They are, after all, the original economy cars. The "coolness" factor is also undeniable, especially for a history buff such as myself.  They sure beat the hell out of a modified golf cart. 

You sir, are someone who "gets it".   

41husk

and eventually the 200k plus cars highly sought after by most of us, will be placed in sheds and bought at sold at a highly deflated rate.  People will say they can't even fly, float are run on nuclear power, who would drive that :eek2:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

RallyeMike

Great video. The cool thing about old cars is that they instantly transport you to a point in history. To do it for a full year in the Midwest though? That's dedication to the full experience!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Dino

When I graduate we'll be buying an old car to put around in, and it will likely be a Model A with rumble seat.   :yesnod:

I won't be driving it in Michigan winters though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Trulyvintage

Then again ....

You might consider driving a 1934 Ford Hot Rod ...  :2thumbs:

Just dropped off this beauty in St. Ignatius, MT on Wednesday ...  :popcrn:

Jim

303 Mopar

I am drawn to the '32-34 Fords that have been hot rodded, and I know there are many kits out there to build one but see two drawbacks. Cabin room, I'm 6'2" and 200 lb and not sure I would fit.  The other is when I get bored of it I would have a hard time selling it since the market is very soft on these cars as pointed out.  Still they are way cool!   :coolgleamA:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Daytona R/T SE

I would give up a lot of things I currently own to have a genuine steel bodied 33 or 34 Ford 3 window coupe.  :Twocents:

Magnumcharger

I was a Ford Model A fanatic long before I got twisted into Mopars by my older brother, and my sister's boyfriend.
My Grandfather bought a 1929 Tudor sedan brand new, just before the market crashed and he lost his business. His A was the family transportation for the next couple of decades, so my Mother had lots of stories about the car, which must have influenced me somehow.
I bought as many Hubley metal models of Model A's as my lawn mowing and snow shovelling jobs would allow. I still have all of them forty years on!
I actually owned a 29 Tudor for a brief period of time, buying in at a respectible $300! It was rust free, but in need of practically everything. I'd planned on making a streetrod out of it, but once I started collecting parts, I realized I really couldn't afford to give it justice, so I cut it loose for $600.
Even now I constantly peruse Kijiji and Craigslist looking for "that car"...which may someday find its way into my garage.

I have a rule that I follow in my plans for acquisition: If its an original car, I'd keep it stock. If its just a shell, or parts car, I'd Hot Rod it.

The white Coupe is in a barn not far from where I live. I've been waiting patiently for the owner to drop the price to a reasonable level.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

lloyd3

There was a little car show down in Franktown, Colorado today which I got to attend for just a little bit (the boy had a scout campout that burned a little too-much time this weekend). There were three Model As there, two Tudors and a woody wagon. I got to really go over one of the Tudors (a very pretty 1930 Grey/green one that had been restored in the early 1980s) and talk with the owner. Beautifully simple and substantial automobiles! The one thing that struck me was how small the interior space appeared to be.  I'm not exactly huge (6'3" & 250lbs), but....I'd be worried about how well I'd fit in one.  Getting in and out of the back would be nearly impossible for me.   Folks were clearly much smaller (& less well-fed) in the 1930s.