News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird tires

Started by superbird6bbl, May 12, 2016, 06:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbird6bbl

I have had my Superbird parked since 1984 and I have not been following the Club for a few years, so please forgive me for the following question. Should the tires have the tire size in RWL's or just the Goodyear and Polyglas?  PJ
Superbird6bbl, 69 Q5 SIX PACK Bee and 2011 Challenger SRT8 IE

oldchevelle541

Wow, parked for 32 years......is she in good shape. Curious as to why it was not being driven.

Arnie Cunningham

The switch to no tire size on the sidewall was made around the beginning of January 1970, after the cars were built, I have seen the newer tires on birds but assumed they were replacements.  Anyone else out there that can confirm?
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

6bblgt

I was under the impression the change occurred during the month of November 1969 - right in the middle of Superbird production.

from "NO SIZE" POLYGLAS or POLYGLAS GT to POLYGLAS F70-14 or POLYGLAS GT F60-15

& the note from KELSEY TIRE's web site

rnjump

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on May 12, 2016, 07:34:43 PM
The switch to no tire size on the sidewall was made around the beginning of January 1970, after the cars were built, I have seen the newer tires on birds but assumed they were replacements.  Anyone else out there that can confirm?
Kelsey's Tire is just down the road from where I live and every time I have bought a set of tires they ask what the build date is on my car. They say January 1 '70 is the cut off date.

superbird6bbl

Thank you.

maxwellwedge

I have had Birds with size and no size 15". This was confirmed by the original date coded spare in them. You are 100% ok to go either way.

superbird6bbl

Quote from: rnjump on May 13, 2016, 07:56:42 AM
Kelsey's Tire is just down the road from where I live and every time I have bought a set of tires they ask what the build date is on my car. They say January 1 '70 is the cut off date.
Thank you.  PJ

superbird6bbl

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 13, 2016, 11:56:17 AM
I have had Birds with size and no size 15". This was confirmed by the original date coded spare in them. You are 100% ok to go either way.
Thank you.  PJ

superbird6bbl

Trying to resize a picture or two of the Bird now.

superbird6bbl

Trying again.

6bblgt

I don't think an "EITHER is correct" is an accurate way to look at the answer.

Could you give examples of the dates on the tires "with" and "without" and the VIN/assembly dates of the cars?

With over 8 weeks of Superbird production, early cars are going to receive "NO-SIZE" and late cars are going to receive "SIZE" POLYGLAS tires.  While the cutoff car's VIN/date won't be a viable conclusion it would provide a better than EITHER answer.

The answer could be significantly different F70-14 VS. F60-15 (& what happened on an E-body at Hamtramck may have little to do with inventory & rate of use at Lynch Rd.).

Arnie Cunningham

Now I am really confused, I though the no size came later.  But I see where the January 1 date has gotten some recognition.  A story was related to me by the sales person from whom I purchased my tires (with the raised tire size on them) of a Mustang that was documented to having received two of each on opposite sides of the car.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Arnie Cunningham

This thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,119084.0.html
has a photo of Al Wald's car new on the dealership showroom floor.
It is a little blurry but it looks like the tire size is RWL.
This car has a Dec. 8th Clairpointe date.

The chart above shows only 15" tires.  Is it possible the 14s had a different time line?
Details lol.

superbird6bbl

Quote from: oldchevelle541 on May 12, 2016, 06:47:54 PM
Wow, parked for 32 years......is she in good shape. Curious as to why it was not being driven.
She is a rust free Southern car that I have kept in a heated and dehumidified garage. I thought that I would live forever and would enjoy it when I got older. Cancer changed that. I am going to drive it more than just weekly.

odcics2

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 13, 2016, 12:34:49 PM

I don't think an "EITHER is correct" is an accurate way to look at the answer.

Could you give examples of the dates on the tires "with" and "without" and the VIN/assembly dates of the cars?

With over 8 weeks of Superbird production, early cars are going to receive "NO-SIZE" and late cars are going to receive "SIZE" POLYGLAS tires.  While the cutoff car's VIN/date won't be a viable conclusion it would provide a better than EITHER answer.

The answer could be significantly different F70-14 VS. F60-15 (& what happened on an E-body at Hamtramck may have little to do with inventory & rate of use at Lynch Rd.).

One way is correct and the other way is not.
It's like that with a lot of stuff.  More research required, if one wishes it to be 100% correct.   :2thumbs:

And no telling what size inventory was set aside for the Birds... Could be that more of them got no size than it would first appear by build dates!    :Twocents:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Redbird

I believe the number of sources that one can look at documenting which tires Superbirds came with is very broad.

I believe there are so many pictures of the White promotional car in Chrysler pictures from back in the day, the auto show Vit-C car pictures, so many 1970 articles from magazines showing the cars as they were delivered in 1970. True survivor cars like the 18 mile Superbird or RM23VOA162292. Finding actual sources of definitive information on Superbirds is a target rich environment. I think one can find many, many actual pictures of as delivered cars in 1970, especially for tires, as opposed to what people may remember 40+ years later.

superbird6bbl

My car has 11/69 on the door. Do all of them have that date? Last 3
of VIN is 340.  PJ

6bblgt

the door VIN decal represents the month the car was completed (there are 11/69 & 12/69 Superbirds)

a Superbird's arrival date at Clairpointe would represent the best publicly available date that would concern tires

in your car's case 11/12/69 (one of the first 200 Superbirds built) - IMO "NO SIZE" would be a pretty safe bet

6bblgt

the note on the 14" POLYGLAS tires on the Kelsey Tire site

RealWing

The original F60-15 spare tire was in my Superbird when I bought it. The size is on the tire in RWL. My bird arrived at Clairpointe on Nov 12th
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

6bblgt

Quote from: RealWing on May 15, 2016, 01:00:18 PM
The original F60-15 spare tire was in my Superbird when I bought it. The size is on the tire in RWL. My bird arrived at Clairpointe on Nov 12th

do you still have the tire?  what is the date code on it? what year did you purchase the 'Bird?

superbird6bbl

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 15, 2016, 12:44:52 PM
the door VIN decal represents the month the car was completed (there are 11/69 & 12/69 Superbirds)

a Superbird's arrival date at Clairpointe would represent the best publicly available date that would concern tires

in your car's case 11/12/69 (one of the first 200 Superbirds built) - IMO "NO SIZE" would be a pretty safe bet
Thank you.

superbird6bbl

Thank you.

RealWing

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 15, 2016, 01:04:36 PM

do you still have the tire?  what is the date code on it? what year did you purchase the 'Bird?
The serial number is JE91G34 (J=1969, E=Nov)  I bought the car in 1990

Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL