News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ted Stephens Daytona Wreck Under the Knife

Started by Aero426, May 18, 2016, 04:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crj1968

Quote from: Ryan.C on January 24, 2017, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: qwick68 on January 24, 2017, 12:17:52 PM
I'd still take her home

Right!!!!

Why all the hate for this car?

I don't think it's hate as much as it's the idea that it's not pure.  You know like our Charger are.   :icon_smile_big:

So the "what's it really worth" comes up. It's worth whatever someone will give for it...which I still think will be significant.

Stevetona

Hopefully they're going to paint it red. On the plus side you won't have to worry about rust for a while now.  :P

TiMopar

I can't help thinking that many of you are missing the point of this build/ re-build/ creation. AMD are merely using it as a demonstation of their products, and what can be achieved with them.

70 sublime

Quote from: TiMopar on January 25, 2017, 12:30:50 PM
I can't help thinking that many of you are missing the point of this build/ re-build/ creation. AMD are merely using it as a demonstation of their products, and what can be achieved with them.

Why did they not just use a Charger instead to show off their stuff ?

Are any of the Daytona only parts on this car from AMD ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Wingnut426

IF the original idea was to show what AMD can do for us, then they should show the before and after unibody in the same stripped condition.  :Twocents: WINGNUT426
HEMI Daytona Convertible

Aero426

Quote from: TiMopar on January 25, 2017, 12:30:50 PM

Agree completely on the mission.    However, when the promotion of the car is done, do you think like most theatre props, it will just go back out into the salvage yard?     

I understand that the car has its place.  In its feral state, you could not throw it away.   It's still a real Daytona - more or less.    Is it as "good" of a Daytona as say one that has an unblemished history?    Certainly not.    It would seem to be a pile of parts surrounding an undisclosed amount of original car with a VIN tag.   More or less. 

Aero426

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 25, 2017, 12:40:32 PM

Because Chop Cut Rebuild already restored a '69 Charger R/T with AMD parts.    The Daytona makes a much bigger splash because of its pre-restoration condition.   

warmpancakes

Quote from: rainbow4jd on January 05, 2017, 05:34:37 PM
I'm in the auto business.   A vehicle is legally defined by its paperwork - not the metal.   You got the tag and title - you can replace it all.   

Heck Ford even licenses new 66-67 Mustang shells - all you need is an original vin and title.

not In Michigan Dynacorn bodies are assigned a VIN when they come into this state

the law varies from state to state

TiMopar

Quote from: Aero426 on January 25, 2017, 02:10:19 PM

Because Chop Cut Rebuild already restored a '69 Charger R/T with AMD parts.    The Daytona makes a much bigger splash because of its pre-restoration condition.   

Exactly; publicity. And judging by this thread, they achieved this. It's not as if there has been some effort on AMD's part to conceal anything. I remember a time when there was absolutely NOTHING available for these cars, save for some silly priced NOS stuff. We should all be grateful these panels are available.

Charger_Fan

I wonder if they are going to make the '70 hood available now?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

held1823

Exactly; publicity. And judging by this thread, they achieved this.

this thread is not a good barometer to gauge interest in the current project. There are more than a few threads here about this particular car in its junked state.

I don't discount what you meant by publicity, and agree it's nice to have the parts available. those two things are not mutually exclusive to one another. amd's targeted market existed without the reality tv show. the only (new) publicity gained is for the show, 99.99% worth of whose viewers will never spend a dime on amd sheet metal.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Highbanked Hauler

No big deal, its just another car and the hobby if you can call it that is changing or I should say the people in it are changing. The last BJ I saw the modifides were bringing the same or more money than the stockers in many cases.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

Quote from: tan top on March 14, 2017, 05:31:30 PM
:popcrn:  hour & five minutes video   :yesnod:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCu5xVBvv5E
Wow with this one at least they were alot more open and honest about what they left and what they replaced . 
With the previous CCR XP hemi charger the Magic of reality TV edited out alot of what they replaced , and even after being asked several times we never got to see the suppost to have been there Hemi torq Boxes on that rebody .
  Then there are the Grave Stone Carz rebodies that get shipped off and magically return with all new AMD sheet metal .   I assume someone told them
to show more and more  to slowly make us think this BS is more and more acceptable  . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

cdr

Quote from: moparstuart on March 14, 2017, 09:04:49 PM
Quote from: tan top on March 14, 2017, 05:31:30 PM
:popcrn:  hour & five minutes video   :yesnod:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCu5xVBvv5E
Wow with this one at least they were alot more open and honest about what they left and what they replaced . 
With the previous CCR XP hemi charger the Magic of reality TV edited out alot of what they replaced , and even after being asked several times we never got to see the suppost to have been there Hemi torq Boxes on that rebody .
  Then there are the Grave Stone Carz rebodies that get shipped off and magically return with all new AMD sheet metal .   I assume someone told them
to show more and more  to slowly make us think this BS is more and more acceptable  . 

Grave Stone Carz rebodies   :smilielol:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mopar John

Recently I viewed an online video of Ted Stephens salvage yard.
In the comments that follow it was mentioned that the reason there are so many restorable hulks in the yard.
It says that when the cars entered the yard the titles were surrendered and the cars were to never leave the yard and only be parted out.
So it makes me wonder if this is true what will happen to the Daytona?
MJ

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on March 19, 2017, 10:32:33 AM
Recently I viewed an online video of Ted Stephens salvage yard.
In the comments that follow it was mentioned that the reason there are so many restorable hulks in the yard.
It says that when the cars entered the yard the titles were surrendered and the cars were to never leave the yard and only be parted out.
So it makes me wonder if this is true what will happen to the Daytona?
MJ
Alabama is one of the easiest states to get a replace title , they have very loose DMV laws
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TheAutoArchaeologist

The Daytona did not have the title turned into the state as junk. 

69DAYTONASE

This is a real Daytona and at least someone has taken an interest in bringing it back to life again rather than have it sit in a boneyard rotting away. I think this restoration no matter what the motive is personal or business should be celebrated for the commendable effort that it is.
Hey, another Daytona is being brought back to life! Pretty cool ain't it? :2thumbs:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

DAY CLONA

Are any of the Daytona only parts on this car from AMD ?

The Daytona parts are a combination of reproduction parts fabricated by me, Dayclona and some original parts, just the back glass and trim is offered by AMD, the glass is on hold currently because of fitment issues, the trim has fitment issues with the 2 upper pcs

Mike

held1823

Hey, another Daytona is being brought back to life! Pretty cool ain't it? :2thumbs:

not cool at all. not every car was intended to, nor needs to, survive.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

alfaitalia

Quote from: held1823 on April 02, 2017, 03:17:34 PM

Agreed....it's not been bought back to life ....it's a different car! My grandad died....but it's fine as we managed to resuscitate my uncle...so that's ok then.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Davtona

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 02, 2017, 04:52:33 PM
Quote from: held1823 on April 02, 2017, 03:17:34 PM

Agreed....it's not been bought back to life ....it's a different car! My grandad died....but it's fine as we managed to resuscitate my uncle...so that's ok then.

Agreed X3     NO not pretty cool.  :rotz:

Highbanked Hauler

If a car had a soul,  bringing it back to life wouldn't be "right" but it doesn't .. It is assembled component parts and there doesn't seem to be  fraud involved because its history will travel with it. If you were trying to say it is on the same level as Tim Wellborn's (sp) 6 thousand mile burnt orange Hemi Daytona (IT AIN'T ) and its not worth the same money either.  On E-bay I have seen RK  MOTORS ask $200K for a couple of their modified finished Chargers so with  this Daytonas  history its worth  what someone will pay. If you are looking for an investment car , THIS ISN'T IT.  :popcrn: :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser