News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel/tire combo regrets?

Started by funknut, May 25, 2016, 06:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funknut

I'm about to bite the bullet on some new wheels and tires to make room for a disc brake upgrade.  I've researched wheels and tires until my head hurts and am finally at the point where I'm deciding between a couple of different options.

Since it seems to be quite an emotional decision (for me, at least), I got to wondering what other folks might have done differently if they had the chance to make the wheel/tire decision over.

I realize the answers are going to be all over the map due to personal preference, but I thought it'd be a fun thing to ask.

Or, if you're in love with your choice, post up a pic. :icon_smile_big:

myk

It took me 10 years to finally decide on a wheel, and even now I'm wishing I had gone with a wider rear.  I definitely bought the wrong tires as well, but that will be easier to deal with.  I'm also thinking I should've gone with 17's instead of 18's.   Don't beat yourself up too much over the matter; unless you've got plenty of cash, buying wheels and tires should be done right the first time...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

funknut

Thanks guys, keep the stories coming!   :cheers:

While I haven't bought wheels for the Charger yet, I definitely regret some I bought for the Durango.  Size was fine but the bright chrome I decided on was waaaaayyyy too much bling.

Live and learn!

myk, FWIW I love the look of your wheels.  I think the medium gray really pops against your color.

And cdr, I agree, I don't think there's a more perfect wheel for the matte black. :)

lukedukem

I regret getting the 255/70 for my back tire. I have 15x7 all around and I should've got same size tire all around so I can rotate them. I might bite the bullet and buy two more 225/70 to match the front. Not sure yet
But there are no regrets on the rims.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

JR

I picked mine based purely on functionality first, price/value second.

17s are the new 15s now, and have the widest and best tire selection. So that's what I went with.

If money were no problem I'd have gone with 17 inch American racing Salt Flat wheels.

But, those are $$$ ID be better off spending elsewhere, so I went with MB Old Schools in 17x8 and 17x9.5.

The styling looks good, although sort of a torque thrust knockoff, but the price is unbelievable. 140 each or so for 17 x 9.5. Cheapest and best looking 17s I've ever found. Can't beat them for the money.

What wheels are you considering, OP?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

crj1968

Dang JR your car looks awesome!   :coolgleamA:

myk

Quote from: JR on May 25, 2016, 08:56:02 PM

17s are the new 15s now, and have the widest and best tire selection. So that's what I went with.

If money were no problem I'd have gone with 17 inch American racing Salt Flat wheels.

But, those are $$$ ID be better off spending elsewhere, so I went with MB Old Schools in 17x8 and 17x9.5.

The styling looks good, although sort of a torque thrust knockoff, but the price is unbelievable. 140 each or so for 17 x 9.5. Cheapest and best looking 17s I've ever found. Can't beat them for the money.

I knew I should've gone with the 17's...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

funknut

First, beautiful car!  The gray really offsets the yellow beautifully.

Quote from: JR on May 25, 2016, 08:56:02 PM

I hear you on that for sure.  It's easy to get carried away once you find a wheel you love.  I was trying really hard to stay below $200 a wheel and I almost did it.  :lol:

Quote from: JR

Nice choice! I like those quite a lot.  I really wanted to like the Shelby Cobra-style wheels but they didn't seem right for the Charger:

I actually really love my Magnum 500 wheels, but can't find anything in a reasonable price range for 17"-18" wheels.

Another I wanted to like were the Pontiac Rallye wheels like these.  Shades of the Magnum 500, but different:

Funny you mention those, those exact wheels were at the top of my list before I decided I wanted to go with an 18" rim.  The price is unreal for what you get, but unfortunately the widest you can get is 18x9.  Odd that they offer both 17x9.5 and 20x9.5 but not in 18s.  I want to go with a 295/45R18 in the back and 9.5" is the smallest recommended wheel for those.  Hrm, now I'm rethinking the 17 vs 18 debate... again!  :lol:

I always wanted a 5-spoke design, and I just can't seem to get away from the Torq Thrust style wheels.

The two I'm deciding between are the Foose Knuckle in gunmetal:

and the American Racing Torq Thrust II in gray:

Cost-wise they're about the same and will average out to approx $215 per wheel.  I'm honestly leaning toward the Torq Thrust.  The Foose wheels feel a little bit too modern for me, but they have an elegant look to them that I like.

The plan is for 18x8 in the front with 255/45 and 18x9.5 (Foose) or 18x10 (Torq Thrust) with 295/45 in the rear.  I seemed to find more tire options in 18" than any other, and the 255/45 will drop the front a tad over the 235/70 that are on there now.

crj1968

JR

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it!

Im building my car with a strict form follows function line of thinking, and wanted a balance of low weight/minimal tire deflection/enough sidewall for rough roads in the Southeast/room for future brake upgrades, etc.  Plus, Here's one I read a while back to push me over to the 17 inch wheel camp.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

And myk, don't fret on your choice of 17s. Here's an excerpt from the article.

"Subjectively, both the 17-inch and 18-inch wheels and tires were in the sweet spot of grip, braking performance, ride comfort, and steering feel. Moving from 17-inchers to 18s barely degrades ride quality, and the additional grip is welcome. We'd guess that a W-rated Eagle GT in the 17-inch size would come close to matching the grip of the W-rated 18, but we can't say for certain without testing. Even with V-rated rubber, the per-form­ance of the 17s felt ­similar to that of the 18s. But since the 18-inch setup costs only $112 more than the 17-inch package, we'd probably opt for the 18s if we lived in a region with smooth roads and looks were a priority."

Personally, I went with 17s because I plan on driving the everloving hell out of my car, and the costs of tires between 17 & 18 would add up. (In my case). But there's nothing wrong with 18s. (I have an M3 also with 17 inch wheels, and sharing common tires between them was a plus for me also.)

Both those wheels look great, I think either would be a good choice. Torque thrusts are a safe bet and will probably age better, but the close wheels are pretty unique.

Id say if your leaning towards modified/pro touring, go foose. If you're going more contemporary, go torque thrusts. You have good taste either way. :2thumbs:

myk

Quote from: JR on May 25, 2016, 11:40:12 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it!

Im building my car with a strict form follows function line of thinking, and wanted a balance of low weight/minimal tire deflection/enough sidewall for rough roads in the Southeast/room for future brake upgrades, etc.  Plus, Here's one I read a while back to push me over to the 17 inch wheel camp.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

And myk, don't fret on your choice of 17s. Here's an excerpt from the article.

"Subjectively, both the 17-inch and 18-inch wheels and tires were in the sweet spot of grip, braking performance, ride comfort, and steering feel. Moving from 17-inchers to 18s barely degrades ride quality, and the additional grip is welcome. We'd guess that a W-rated Eagle GT in the 17-inch size would come close to matching the grip of the W-rated 18, but we can't say for certain without testing. Even with V-rated rubber, the per-form­ance of the 17s felt ­similar to that of the 18s. But since the 18-inch setup costs only $112 more than the 17-inch package, we'd probably opt for the 18s if we lived in a region with smooth roads and looks were a priority."

Personally, I went with 17s because I plan on driving the everloving hell out of my car, and the costs of tires between 17 & 18 would add up. (In my case). But there's nothing wrong with 18s. (I have an M3 also with 17 inch wheels, and sharing common tires between them was a plus for me also.)

Both those wheels look great, I think either would be a good choice. Torque thrusts are a safe bet and will probably age better, but the close wheels are pretty unique.

Id say if your leaning towards modified/pro touring, go foose. If you're going more contemporary, go torque thrusts. You have good taste either way. :2thumbs:

WOW good post.   In the end you're right on all points.  I will ask this though: since our wheels are Torq thrust/American Racing derivatives, does anyone know if there's another company or American Racing equivalent to the wheels we have?  I've been waiting for Discount Tire to offer our wheel in a wider 18", say in a 9, 9.5 or maybe even a 10" with our backspacing.  That would shut me up about wheels forever...

garner7555

MYK, they offer a 9" wheel in less than ideal offset.  If you are willing to run a spacer then you could make it work though.    :yesnod:   :shruggy:    Just depends on what you want to do.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

myk

I was told to avoid spacers at all costs?  

JR

Myk, heres a couple more Torque Thrust style wheels that seem popular.

Boss 338

Coys C5

myk

And I definitely considered those, but I like our "sharp" spoked Torq Thrusts....

WHITE AND RED 69

My only regret was I did not go wider in the front. Played it safe with a 8" rim up front but now I want a 9".

No matter what another wheel will catch your eye after you purchase a set. Best advise is to take your time and make sure the wheel you buy is really the one you want.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: myk on May 26, 2016, 12:17:18 PM
And I definitely considered those, but I like our "sharp" spoked Torq Thrusts....

How about these Myk? A little more expensive but have just about any size you could want.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

crj1968

Ridler 645. Pretty cool IMHO

funknut

Quote from: myk on May 26, 2016, 09:29:16 AM
I was told to avoid spacers at all costs?  

If you have a bit too much backspacing and it's causing issues you can get bolt-through spacers that are just (typically aluminum) shims that go between the wheel and hub.  For moderate changes like 1/4" to 1/2" BS I would not be too concerned with these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-wsg5l250/overview/

The bolt-on spacers seem a bit more sketchy:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tgi-140002-2-kit/overview/

I know people in the off-road community that use up to 2" (or larger) spacers on pretty heavy trail trucks without issues, but it's not something I'd be eager to do.

I would have no concerns with the bolt-through style so long as you didn't go crazy and your lug studs were long enough.

Lennard

Old school Vectors. No regerts!  :2thumbs:

myk

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 26, 2016, 12:42:16 PM

How about these Myk? A little more expensive but have just about any size you could want.

Wait!  Who makes those wheels?!  Tell me please!

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: myk on May 26, 2016, 04:42:13 PM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 26, 2016, 12:42:16 PM

Wait!  Who makes those wheels?!  Tell me please!

First pic is from Team 3 wheels

http://www.etmags.com/classic_v.html

Second pic is from US Mags. I believe they are the same as your current ones, just in a 2 piece design with a soft lip rather than a traditional lip?

http://www.mhtwheels.com/standard-u204-w-6101.htm
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Clayton you're amazing!  What is a soft lip, other than the ones on Scarlett Johannsen?