News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird headlight vacuum actuators

Started by Hemi Runner, May 18, 2016, 06:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Runner

What's the stroke on these vacuum actuators? About 4" or so? Anyone know?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 18, 2016, 06:24:16 AM
What's the stroke on these vacuum actuators? About 4" or so? Anyone know?

IIRC it's about 2.5"

70Sbird

Mike,
I have one of mine off of the car and sitting on the workbench as we speak. I'll measure it tonight

Scott Faulkner

RealWing

Just measured one and it is 2.25" stroke

Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Hemi Runner

I should be able to use a 2" linear actuator. Thanks for the info!

Hemi Runner

Quote from: 70Sbird on May 18, 2016, 01:38:58 PM
Mike,
I have one of mine off of the car and sitting on the workbench as we speak. I'll measure it tonight

Do you have a headlight bucket out or just the vacuum actuator?

70Sbird

Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 18, 2016, 08:50:08 PM
Quote from: 70Sbird on May 18, 2016, 01:38:58 PM
Mike,

Do you have a headlight bucket out or just the vacuum actuator?

I just have the actuator out, the rest of the assembly is still in the car

Scott Faulkner

Hemi Runner

I thought if you had the bucket out, I could get a tracing of the end plate so I could locate the pivot point. I'll figure it out with the old "trial and error" process :lol:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 23, 2016, 11:23:19 AM
I thought if you had the bucket out, I could get a tracing of the end plate so I could locate the pivot point. I'll figure it out with the old "trial and error" process :lol:

Mike if you'd like a template of the end plates, just PM me your mailing address, and I'll send them out ASAP, if you need any other info/dimensions/etc, just let me know in a PM

Mike

held1823

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 23, 2016, 11:30:12 AM

Mike if you'd like a template of the end plates, just PM me your mailing address, and I'll send them out ASAP, if you need any other info/dimensions/etc, just let me know in a PM

gestures like this make this the best forum on the web.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Hemi Runner

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 23, 2016, 11:30:12 AM

Mike

PM sent! Thanks!!

white

Great job Mike! Cant wait to see it Done!

70Sbird

Mike,
Are you talking about the small rectangle plate bolted to the front (rod end) of the actuator that mounts it to the rear of the headlight bucket? If so I have that part out as well and it's available for tracing viewing, scanning 3D printing etc.... ;)

Scott Faulkner

Hemi Runner

Hi Scott,
I'm talking about the end of the bucket itself so I can locate the factory pivot point. I'm fabricating my own buckets since I won't be using z-braces.

DAY CLONA

Templates are in the mail, on the way should see them this week

Mike

Hemi Runner

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 25, 2016, 09:18:45 PM
Templates are in the mail, on the way should see them this week

Mike
Great, thanks Mike!

Hemi Runner

I ordered 4 oil impregnated bronze bushings for pivots and two shaft collars and some keystock to form the side levers. I'll work out the math on the lever length to get the stroke on the linear actuator right. These will be much more reliable than vacuum and won't have the annoying creep that the stockers do after sitting for long spells.