News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone built a Daytona clone using the Stinger parts?

Started by hotrod98, March 11, 2006, 09:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I've talked to a few people in the last few days that have told me that they are having difficulty getting parts to build their Daytona clones. I'm not going to name the companies, but it appears that their parts seem to be made from a valuable product called unobtanium. I have talked to a couple of these suppliers myself and have been told that it will take a while (possible understatement) to get the parts. I do, however, understand that no one can possibly make a living from the manufacture of daytona and superbird parts alone. They have real jobs to pay the bills...that I can understand.
I have been told that one company (Stinger Fiberglass) can supply the parts for a Daytona clone within just a few weeks of placing an order. I know nothing about this company or their parts. I know of a couple of guys that have purchased their parts, but have yet to build their cars. Has anyone actually finished a car using these parts and were there any problems? I noticed that their wing was a one piece assembly which I would not be interested in using, (I have one of Dane's wings) but their nose seems reasonable at $650. Some of the other parts seem reasonably priced as well but what is the quality of their parts as a whole? You could buy all of the parts including the wing for less than $2500. That would include all of the nose parts, the fender scoops and the rear wing. Obviously these parts would not be good replacements for damaged parts on a real Daytona, but might work fine for an inexpensive clone.   
I purchased my Superbird parts from Don Currie, but at the present time he hasn't started on the Daytona stuff. If these guys build a decent part and I can get them within a few weeks, I may just buy their stuff.
Any feedback regarding their parts would be a big help to myself and several other guys her on the forum.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nascarxx29

I only know that daytonlo has purchased on of those kits.Search his past posts.He did a assembly procedure
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

TONS AND TONS OF WORK TO MAKE NOSE OPERATIONAL , AS FAR AS OPTIONS  TED TOLD ME ONE YEAR WAIT OR FOR AN EXTRA 4500 HE WILL HAVE IN ONE MONTH , HE'S GOT TO BE FUCKING WITH ME !. AS FAR AS WING I FELT THE SAME AS YOU AT FIRST BUT I DETERMINED IN NO WAY DID I WANT THAT EXTRA WEIGHT ON MY QTRS . I'M USING GLASS WING , I DRILLED AND TAPPED FOR ALLEN BOLT AND FISHED A CABLE THRU WING AND WILL USE THAT AS A SAFETY. LARRY

hotrod98

Ted told me 6 months or more for a wing for my superbird clone, but after a little persuasion, he decided that he had one in storage that he would let go for extra $$. In storage??? I went ahead and had Don Currie build me a steel one. I didn't want to buy a wing from Ted that someone else had been waiting on forever, if you know what I mean.

What problems did you encounter with the nose? 

My buddy is going to use my Dane wing to make a fiberglass mold. He may have fg wings at a decent price this summer. I may just use a fg wing on my daytona clone. We're going to alter one to fit my 74 charger as well.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

AS FAR AS THE STINGER KIT GOES , GREAT PRICE , DOWNSIDE IS THE Z BRACKETS ARE PAPER THIN [ MADE MY OWN FROM STEEL ] HEADLIGHT PIVOTS [ SAME DEAL , MADE MY OWN ] FRONT SPOILER [ THREW IT IN THE TRASH , BOUGHT ONE FROM YEAR ONE ].SCOOPS HAVE NO BOSSES ON BOTTOM , HAD TO MAKE MY OWN . I HAVE ABOUT 100 HOURS IN SANDING AND FITTING AND FABBING PARTS .

dayclona

Quote from: daytonalo on March 11, 2006, 11:11:09 PM
AS FAR AS THE STINGER KIT GOES , GREAT PRICE , DOWNSIDE IS THE Z BRACKETS ARE PAPER THIN [ MADE MY OWN FROM STEEL ] HEADLIGHT PIVOTS [ SAME DEAL , MADE MY OWN ] FRONT SPOILER [ THREW IT IN THE TRASH , BOUGHT ONE FROM YEAR ONE ].SCOOPS HAVE NO BOSSES ON BOTTOM , HAD TO MAKE MY OWN . I HAVE ABOUT 100 HOURS IN SANDING AND FITTING AND FABBING PARTS .

::)

dayclona

Quote from: daytonalo on March 11, 2006, 10:08:21 PM
TED TOLD ME ONE YEAR WAIT OR FOR AN EXTRA 4500 HE WILL HAVE IN ONE MONTH , HE'S GOT TO BE FUCKING WITH ME !. AS FAR AS WING I FELT THE SAME AS YOU AT FIRST BUT I DETERMINED IN NO WAY DID I WANT THAT EXTRA WEIGHT ON MY QTRS . I'M USING GLASS WING ,

sounds like another unsubstantiated false allegation against the boy in teXas, as Dave B. aka Winger69/70, would say, sounds like your an associate of Dayclona, or on our payroll,................however that's the usuall practice in teXas,..........................although I'll repond to Hotrod98's comment ,..................if your having problems gettiing an order into DAYCLONA,.. .....it's because I've refused it, based on  the fact that what you want at the moment, I don't have in stock,..............or I'm not currently set up to run those parts, because I'm working on other customers parts/ cars,/ etc.........etc........etc..............I have a limited amount of time/ helpers,...........plus a life!......that I want to enjoy!...........unlike other "vendors" who will promise you anything, say anything,...............and have you hangin for YEARS., waiting for the last part to trickle in, if you get them at all in some cases, .........I'll tell you yes or no, when/ why...........no games!

can't wait for the teXas winger defense to commence!

Mike G./ DAYCLONA

nascarxx29

Hi Dave:

Just a quick note to say THANK YOU for the support you've given me against
Mike Goyette's nasty remarks on the various Mopar web boards. I didn't even
realize that he was on there saying things about me and this club until
someone forwarded the postings to me. I don't have much time to surf the
net. The fact is, I have never met Goyette, nor even talked to him on the
phone. The guy that helped him build that '71 winged thing contacted me via
e-mail many years ago and wanted me to do a feature in the club newsletter
on Goyette's car. I told him if they'd send me some photos and a story
about how they built it, I would be happy to do that. Never received a
thing except a couple years ago he sent home a binder full of poor quality
black and white xeroxed photos and a copy of a magazine article about the
car....all stuff I could not use in the newsletter.

I guess he expected me to come to wherever he was going to be showing the
car (Carlisle, Mopar Nats--all places I do not go) and get photos of it
myself and write my own story on it. Like I have nothing else to do here?

I can send you a copy of the absolutely bizarre letter he wrote to me a
couple years ago. It convinced me he was either a nutcase or smoking some
bad dope. It's amazing he's singled me out to rant and rave about; he must
  have gotten tired of smearing Ted Janak all over the internet?!

Anyway, thank you again for your support. I've seen several postings from
you in my defense and I really, really appreciate it. My goal as director
of this club is just to get the information about the cars out to the
members, keep the interest up, and share and learn as much about them as I
can.

[[[[[[[he must have gotten tired of smearing Ted Janak all over the internet?!]]]]] .

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

GUYS , GUYS ,GUYS , WHY CANT ALL INVOLVED PARTIES HUG , THEN GO SEE BROKEBACK- MOUNTAIN !

hemigeno

This is exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid on this board.