News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do I have the wrong fuel pump?

Started by DanielRobert, September 15, 2019, 07:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielRobert

New 440 build. New cam, new fuel pump rod and new fuel pump. The Fuel pump rod does not touch the pump arm when installing. Motor is at TDC. Will the rod push on the arm as the cam turns or do I have a mismatched fuel pump?
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

Canadian1968

The pump rod gets pushed up inside the block during install.  They can sometimes be a pain, when installing because they want to slide down when you try and install the pump arm.  If yours is staying up in the engine that is find, as long as its not binding on anything.  When the cam turns , it will push on the rod like you said.

Your pump rod should be 3.25" long.

John_Kunkel

Any gap between the pushrod and the lever might cause a knock, the lever should always have some tension on it. I'd try another pump if the pushrod measures correctly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

DanielRobert

I think I'll try another pump....too large a gap between the arm and rod....suggestions on a pump?
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Canadian1968 on September 15, 2019, 09:13:27 AM

Your pump rod should be 3.25" long.

I'd hang my head in shame if my pump rod was that small.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: DanielRobert on September 17, 2019, 08:10:53 PM
I think I'll try another pump....too large a gap between the arm and rod....suggestions on a pump?

How did you determine the gap?

DanielRobert

well, when you install the fuel pump and the pump rod(which was pushed up against the cam lobe) and theres a good 1/4" gap, I figure thats too much....I dont think I need any special tools at this point
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

Canadian1968

but how are you getting that measurement with pump bolted to the block? Are you just judging this looking into the block before you put in the pump ? Pretty sure it doesn't matter what pump you but the arm is going to be the same on all of then

DanielRobert

when I pushed the pump in place, I was expecting to have a little preload on the arm......I didnt so I carefully watched the position of the arm as I was moving the pump into position....it was actually about a half inch away until I couldnt see it anymore from the pump getting close to being in place. I started it low to make sure I was getting under the push rod. It'sa have to be there to see it sort of thing.  Slide the pump up wards past the mounting holes to feel for when the arm actually hits the arm. Might be ok , but I was expecting the arm to hit the rod at the mounting point
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

Canadian1968

the pump rod rides on a cam. It just on the "up" part of the lobe. It has to allow the pump arm to make its full stroke so at one point there will basically be nonload on the pump arm itself .As it rotates around it begin to push down. Actually to a point where it makes it very hard to install the the pump itself .

you could crank the engine over a bit and try toput the rod in , to to see it change I guess ?

DanielRobert

I'm trying to keep the motor at TDC for all of the assembly which I'll assume has no load on the fuel pump at this point. Just a little surprised of what appears to be a gap between the rod and the pump when on the down side of the cam lobe. I pre-fit the pump before any gasket sealer and noticed the excessive play (moving the pump around to get the arm to engage the rod) I'm wondering if I have a defective pump not within tolerances or the wrong one alltogether, jammed into a box. I doubt theres another pump that would bolt up thats the wrong pump for a 440 but I dont doubt a poorly made pump either. I'll take it apart , check the rod length and report back.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

Kern Dog

I get your point....some here are missing it.
In theory, the pushrod should not smack the fuel pump lever like a croquet mallet, it should ride against it and push it like a lifter & pushrod moves the rocker arm.0
If there is excessive clearance, you won't get full stroke of the pump.

DanielRobert

Replaced the pump.....much tighter, the rod engages the arm immediately.  Musta been a foreign pump!
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

Canadian1968

glad you figured it out , maybe miss labeled pump or something  :shruggy: