News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Resto has begun!!! PICS !! 69 b7 4 speed Assembly has begun!!! PICS

Started by Charger-Bodie, July 28, 2016, 10:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laowho

Quote from: charge69 on August 30, 2016, 02:21:51 PM
Amazing how hard it was to get all the original undercoating off. We got almost all of it off the old fashioned way with scrapers and such with the final amount taken off when we acid-dipped the body!

Researched this a bunch lately and came across a forum that had everyone cheering, so ordered the oscillating multi-tool that one poster demonstrated. Only modification was to put an edge on the standard blade of the tool.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on September 10, 2016, 12:31:24 PM
Wow Brian you are booking on this.    :2thumbs:

:2thumbs:
Quote from: Laowho on September 10, 2016, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: charge69 on August 30, 2016, 02:21:51 PM
Amazing how hard it was to get all the original undercoating off. We got almost all of it off the old fashioned way with scrapers and such with the final amount taken off when we acid-dipped the body!

Researched this a bunch lately and came across a forum that had everyone cheering, so ordered the oscillating multi-tool that one poster demonstrated. Only modification was to put an edge on the standard blade of the tool.

Heat and a scraper worked fine for me.
Quote from: keepat on September 10, 2016, 09:05:38 AM
Brian,  as usual you are moving along at the speed of light! Looks great!
Pat

Thanks!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on September 09, 2016, 08:18:03 PM
Seriously, do you have an IV pole with a coffee drip following you around all day? At this rate you'll have a car from purchase to finish in a few months!   :2thumbs:

Not much for coffee. Just very determined .

Laowho

Quote from: charge69 on August 30, 2016, 01:21:51 PM

"Amazing how hard it was to get all the original undercoating off. We got almost all of it off the old fashioned way with scrapers and such with the final amount taken off when we acid-dipped the body!"

So I offered," Researched this a bunch lately and came across a forum that had everyone cheering, so ordered the oscillating multi-tool that one poster demonstrated. Only modification was to put an edge on the standard blade of the tool."

And you say, "Heat and a scraper worked fine for me."

Umm...ok? :shruggy: Maybe I was just moved by your exclamation mark.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Laowho on September 10, 2016, 02:17:58 PM
Quote from: charge69 on August 30, 2016, 01:21:51 PM

"Amazing how hard it was to get all the original undercoating off. We got almost all of it off the old fashioned way with scrapers and such with the final amount taken off when we acid-dipped the body!"

So I offered," Researched this a bunch lately and came across a forum that had everyone cheering, so ordered the oscillating multi-tool that one poster demonstrated. Only modification was to put an edge on the standard blade of the tool."

And you say, "Heat and a scraper worked fine for me."

Umm...ok? :shruggy: Maybe I was just moved by your exclamation mark.

I certainly don't mean any offense. I just meant that's what I used.

Charger-Bodie

got the underside finished sanding and prepping for etch primer. now when im ready to paint underside i can just scuff it down and shoot the blue.

Charger-Bodie

Got some more some sealed and etch primed today. I forgot pics though. I'm beat.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 11, 2016, 08:47:48 PM
Got some more some sealed and etch primed today. I forgot pics though. I'm beat.
When you say etch prime is this also a version of epoxy primer?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on September 12, 2016, 07:24:03 AM

The etch prime is not like epoxy. It's a acid etching primer that actual bites into the surface. It isn't durable like epoxy, but that's good in this situation. It protects the surface and makes the surface corrosion resistant, and the real bonus is that it it scuffs easy for when I prep the bottom for paint.  At that point it will get scuffed , sealed and pained.

Quote from: tan top on September 12, 2016, 05:37:50 AM
:scope:  good stuff  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :cheers: :popcrn:

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 12, 2016, 07:33:23 AM
Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on September 12, 2016, 07:24:03 AM

The etch prime is not like epoxy. It's a acid etching primer that actual bites into the surface. It isn't durable like epoxy, but that's good in this situation. It protects the surface and makes the surface corrosion resistant, and the real bonus is that it it scuffs easy for when I prep the bottom for paint.  At that point it will get scuffed , sealed and pained.

Quote from: tan top on September 12, 2016, 05:37:50 AM
:scope:  good stuff  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :cheers: :popcrn:

Thanks Brian, just curious when you choose either over the other.... :2thumbs: or the use of both?

Charger-Bodie

Generally I will choose epoxy every time, but if it has lost ta of nooks and crannies like the underside of floors etc it scuffs and powders off leaving very little build . This way you also don't loose character like spot welds too.

WHITE AND RED 69

Damn you work fast! Looking real good   :2thumbs:  you'll be on the road in no time!
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on September 12, 2016, 12:55:59 PM
Damn you work fast! Looking real good   :2thumbs:  you'll be on the road in no time!

Thanks! I just needed to get it to this point after getting it wet blasted. It just bothered me that the only thing protecting it was metal conditioner. 

Now I can meet car along a little more of a normal pace.

Laowho

Thanks CB, figured as much. So watchin this has the puzzle pieces comin together for me, the latest bit with the etching primer. I've seen it dismissed but clearly those folk had'nt the need if they didn't do everything you've done here, or didn't care enuf to preserve spot welds. Really great.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Laowho on September 13, 2016, 06:26:50 AM

Thanks CB, figured as much. So watchin this has the puzzle pieces comin together for me, the latest bit with the etching primer. I've seen it dismissed but clearly those folk had'nt the need if they didn't do everything you've done here, or didn't care enuf to preserve spot welds. Really great.

I like to see all of the factory character .

Laowho

(Well now I gotta add one more footnote--car has a new driveshaft and the area either side of the old center support bearing has saturated the tough undercoating to the point where I can take it off with my finger. Tranny fluid isn't anything I've come across before to remove undercoating.)

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Laowho on September 14, 2016, 06:53:59 AM

(Well now I gotta add one more footnote--car has a new driveshaft and the area either side of the old center support bearing has saturated the tough undercoating to the point where I can take it off with my finger. Tranny fluid isn't anything I've come across before to remove undercoating.)

Yup that definitely makes it easier.

Laowho

Well CB, sorry to trouble you with all this but...we're not really in a position to blast and dip everything, but I really wanna get underneath first b4 I start the body work for paint. Wanna take off the undercoating to inspect and make whatever repairs, and replace a coupla frame rails, but not even sure if that's the place to start or whether I should be takin out carpet 1st to check floor pans from above, etc., etc. It's my 1st resto but wanna do it as right as we can, and as smart as we can. Bottom really does seem solid/clean (2 frame rails are caved in but not rusted, etc., and already know we're replacin the trunk pan so will have the tank out, new leaf springs and shocks...), but still not sure how I'll proceed w/ the bottom. If we could dip and strip then I'd go your route, but tryin 2 figure out what's second best. Dang I hate 2d best, specially after seein how yer restoring this. Best case is I get it cleaned and manage to cover w/ epoxy primer, but dunno yet whether to apply a rust converter step in the process, ... and so it goes.

Dino

2nd best is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you do it right. Remove the interior regardless. Once you start welding you do not want anything but the original paint on those floors. That's a recipe to lose the car to a fire. If you have dent work then you want access on both sides as well.

Clean up the floors inside and out, do your repairs, strip them with whatever means necessary and get some epoxy on there to seal the deal. I've done loads of cars with heat and a scraper, a bunch of wire wheels and whatever else I needed to get the job done right.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Laowho

Thanks Dino, that confirms a lot. Good to hear and will do. Sorry for the digression here.

Charger-Bodie

well, Im continuing to make headway. spent a bunch of time down at the shop in the evenings this week and got it ready to spray the underside,trunk,and engine comp.

Here it is sealed. Its baking right now,but when its done ill post pics of it painted.

Charger-Bodie

PAINT