News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Organosol Black ppg DCC 9355 tips and tricks

Started by C O D Y, August 13, 2016, 04:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C O D Y

Here's some tips and tricks that should help just about anyone get perfect results with PPG's DCC 9355 Organosol Black paint. Everything is spelled out in the video, but below is the paint mix. TRUST ME, you'll want to watch the videos to get all the tips and tricks to make it easy to get fantastic results.

Cuda Cody's Organosol mix

PPG DCC 9355 = 230.1 grams (about 8 oz)
*DT885 = 146.1 grams (about 6 oz) see video for temp changes
DCX61 = 73.2 grams (about 2 oz)
DX685 = 12.4 grams (about 1/4 oz)
DX1999 = 6.1 grams (about 1/8 oz)

Part 1
https://youtu.be/wZ2FkEQ_Hk0

Part 2
https://youtu.be/hCqLHEozH1k

Consider doing two spray outs. One with the mix I list in the video and one without any DX685. That way you can see the difference between the two. You might find you like one of those spray outs or you might want to go right in the middle of the two. Do your spray outs on LARGE test panels over the exact sealer / primer you will be using (epoxy is what I suggest). Please remember that different paint guns and application speed / technique can slightly change the end results, but using the Bullet setting with Dust Circles and standing about 42" to 48" back should net you some really nice results. Play around with it until you get the finished look you like.

Good luck.

~Cuda Cody
Cuda Cody (your friendly E-Bodies.org brother)

hemi-hampton

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give it a try, The last Organosol I sprayed in Laquer last summer got a couple of stripes but it was also very hot & humid & looked to be blushing & slower thinner or retarder will only help so much. LEON.

Cncguy

This is an amazing tutorial, the time and effort you put into research and development is very much appreciated. I will definitely use this technique on my Charger Project.

billrabe

I just watched this series of videos and am amazed at how much work you went to. Very well done and very informative. I will definitely use this method when I do an organosol finish in the future. Cheers!

68RT440

I just watched the videos and am very glad that I did. Thanks for doing all of the research and sharing it with us. I cant wait to try this on my Charger!  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

Sixt8Chrgr

My painter and I watched Cody's tutorial, and followed his "recipe" to the T, and I can tell you I think it is spot on. I am so happy with the way it turned out. I will shoot pics and post them up.

Thanks Cody for taking the time to do this.

Lawrence

C O D Y

Glad it worked out for you.   :cheers:

I was at the PPG instructional lab about 2 weeks ago doing some factory training and I was able to get in their booth and do some testing.  They had a few reducers and retarders that I had not seen or tested yet.  We did a couple quick practice spray outs after the class, but it was over 103 degrees in the booth and near impossible to get a good baseline test done.  The instructor had a few ideas that I'm going to try next time I have some free time in my booth.  I'm always looking to make it perfect and sometimes after a bunch of testing I realize it was already perfect.  lol   If I come up with a new mix I will be sure to share with all my B-Body brothers so everyone can use whatever one they want.  More then anything, just having a way to evenly and easily apply the organosol without getting any blotching is what makes me so happy.

~Cuda Cody
E-Bodies.org

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on August 03, 2017, 07:21:29 PM
My painter and I watched Cody's tutorial, and followed his "recipe" to the T, and I can tell you I think it is spot on. I am so happy with the way it turned out. I will shoot pics and post them up.

Thanks Cody for taking the time to do this.

Lawrence
Cuda Cody (your friendly E-Bodies.org brother)

AKcharger

THIS FORMULA NO LONGER AVAILABLE
My PPG dealer says DCC 9355 comes back as a lacquer and unavailable but has a substitute that's a different black and says DX 1999 is no longer available...is there any updates??