News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tell me it ain't a head gasket..

Started by Highbanked Hauler, September 09, 2016, 03:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on September 12, 2016, 08:22:38 PM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 12, 2016, 03:11:44 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on September 11, 2016, 12:29:41 PM
I'm having the same issue.   Please update once you have a fix.

Feel free to jump in with your cars symptoms .. :2thumbs:

Been fighting this car for 11 years.   Since I didn't have the engine rebuilt, it is like a puzzle.    The car would always run warm when the engine was at higher RPMs.   This Spring I did a bunch of engine detailing and also changed out the water pump to a high volume thinking that was the issue.   Put it back together looking the best it ever did, and now it is all F'd up again.    It is even running warmer now. 

-High flow water pump - check
-Made sure timing was correct - check
-Made sure the heat rise valve wasn't stuck closed in the exhaust manifold - check
-flushed out the block 3 times - check
-installed an aftermarket temp gauge - check

Next is putting a Griffin Radiator in it.   I think my biggest issue is either the existing CAM isn't indexed correctly, or it is too big for the build.   The car is currently going up to 230 when idling with no air flow.  Even with driving it isn't coming down.

The other issue I have is it is a gutless turd.   For a 440, it is making no power.

I'll just come out and say it even though you probably don't want to hear it. Even if you fix the heating issue the car will still run as a dog so in my humble opinion I think it's time to pull the engine and open it up. Go through it and rebuild it with the parts you want. No more guessing and you'll have something that is fun to drive. You know what the downside to all this is.   :D
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Dino on September 13, 2016, 06:09:54 AM
I'll just come out and say it even though you probably don't want to hear it. Even if you fix the heating issue the car will still run as a dog so in my humble opinion I think it's time to pull the engine and open it up. Go through it and rebuild it with the parts you want. No more guessing and you'll have something that is fun to drive. You know what the downside to all this is.   :D

Oh I know.   I honestly don't care it is a dog right now.   The CAM is too big and starts delivering power at higher RPMs.  I can switch out the converter also, but would rather keep it more stock.     
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Highbanked Hauler

Moparman, is this a motor that has never been apart or just YOU didn't do the rebuild ?  My sons only has less than 500 miles and everything was new. When  MY engine was done it had a TON of sediment and sand in it  and the builder said it is a wonder it didn't burn up the back cylinders..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

cdr

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 13, 2016, 08:02:42 AM
 Moparman, is this a motor that has never been apart or just YOU didn't do the rebuild ?  My sons only has less than 500 miles and everything was new. When  MY engine was done it had a TON of sediment and sand in it  and the builder said it is a wonder it didn't burn up the back cylinders..

thats why I run a cleanable screen in the upper hose, no matter how clean you think the block is it will still have rust flakes breaking lose & clogging up the radiator

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiT1ZHf24zPAhUj2oMKHc6AA1cQFgg6MAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ganofilters.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNEKWgF4YvwqUKPIg0KDA4XULkN7EQ&sig2=0iIIJn4ukL84Zoh43YO6nA

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Highbanked Hauler

Hell of an idea, how much crap do you get out of it ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

cdr

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 13, 2016, 02:17:32 PM

when I built my engine they hot tanked it & before I assembled it I washed & flushed the cooling passages, installed the engine & made some WOT blast & crap broke loose in the cooling passages & plugged up my new radiator, I also put a little magnet in the screen to catch the smaller particles, 1st time i cleaned it was a lot of crap, now almost none when I check it. 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Chargerguy74

Quote from: cdr on September 13, 2016, 03:04:50 PM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 13, 2016, 02:17:32 PM

when I built my engine they hot tanked it & before I assembled it I washed & flushed the cooling passages, installed the engine & made some WOT blast & crap broke loose in the cooling passages & plugged up my new radiator, I also put a little magnet in the screen to catch the smaller particles, 1st time i cleaned it was a lot of crap, now almost none when I check it. 

I'm glad I read your post today. 1 on its way to Canada now. After dropping $1k on a new rad I figured it would be a good idea to catch all the crap from the new motor.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002