News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for Superbird window plug corners

Started by oldcarnut, October 10, 2016, 12:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I'm wondering if there are some damaged pieces I can get a lot cheaper maybe with the trim pieces broke off.  I'm not going to install a vinyl top and wanted to check for a set I can fill in and over the corners with before I cut up my Janek set to do it.  Anybody do it a different way for no vinyl top?

cudavic

Quote from: oldcarnut on October 10, 2016, 12:06:52 PM
I'm wondering if there are some damaged pieces I can get a lot cheaper maybe with the trim pieces broke off.  I'm not going to install a vinyl top and wanted to check for a set I can fill in and over the corners with before I cut up my Janek set to do it.  Anybody do it a different way for no vinyl top?

Did you see this thread? "I now have reproduction 70 Superbird rear plug triangles" $150.00 not bad at all IMO. Best of luck, Vic

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125458.0.html

oldcarnut

Yep I saw those. Those are just what I have now.  If you notice the black painted trim molded on them, that is what I'm going to have to cut off and fill in the gap it will leave.  Rather than ruin a good and expensive part, I'm hoping to get some damaged or broke pieces that's gonna get modified.  Thanks for the link.

Hemi Runner

Post up some pics of what you got going on that plug. I have decomstructed my POS plug. It's an inch wider on the left than the right and the triangle bead roll on the right is in in the wrong place. What a total pile! :brickwall: :RantExplode: :flame: :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_dissapprove:

oldcarnut

Quote from: Hemi Runner on October 12, 2016, 12:59:40 PM
Post up some pics of what you got going on that plug. I have decomstructed my POS plug. It's an inch wider on the left than the right and the triangle bead roll on the right is in in the wrong place. What a total pile! :brickwall: :RantExplode: :flame: :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_dissapprove:
I used Janeks plug.  Didn't feel like I had all the patience/time needed to get the steel plug attached.  It's going on eBay as I havent found any other interest in the adds.  I'll try to find to find some pics of the last fitment for the steel one before I decided to go to Janeks.

Hemi Runner

I meant pics of the Janak plug. The steel one has to be deconstructed, fit to the car and then reconstucted in place to use. I have the glass channel removed and will be working on fitting the plug once I procure a bead roller to rework the corners and driver's side of it. I'm going to cut my own back window from a sheet of tinted Optic Armor and then make my own trim. I would look at buying the Janak trim but if I doesn't fit my opening I'm back to making it anyway.

oldcarnut

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,124863.msg1561776.html#msg1561776. This will get you started on what I did from an earlier post.  After everything was fitted and I unbolted the plug, prepped the surfaces, and used some 3M 08115 panel bonding to bond it in and remounted all the bolts to clamp it down.  I bought some Evercoat 100633 fiber reinforced bond and filler to take care of the seams and further bonding.  Haven't got to put that on yet but was warned to get it close to finish soon after applying as it gets hard as concrete to sand.  Only stuff I found that's made for thick filling depths.  Which gets me to this post.  Janeks low-cost corner pieces are $105 and the same as OEM $280 if I remember right.  I have a pair of the good ones and hated to cut them up.  AAR (Stinger) has them for $50. I thought it would be better to use something already molded to shape than filling in and hand shaping.