News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why are there so many aero cars with matching numbers?

Started by Galevin, September 08, 2016, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on September 15, 2016, 10:37:42 AM
I think if its that important to you you better do your homework before you buy. How much money do you set aside for legal fees? If you are buying a car from a dealer most have no idea what they are representing, they are not experts. But I can assure you they have clauses in their bill of sales stating you are buying the car as is.  A lot can happen in the nearly 50 years since these cars left the factory.

Good luck with your hunt.

Dave

What Dave said above is great advice for any collector car purchase, especially if you are not intimately knowledgeable about the car or type of car you are looking at. This forum is a great place to gain that knowledge or inquire about a car you are looking at. Some have been intimidated by a few of the personalities here, but this is the internet so expect some of that. But, by far, most of the active members here are long term Aero car owners and enthusiasts that are more than willing to help anyone make a good decision and/or inform you about a specific car's past life and owners.

To the OP, your original question was as to why so many of these cars survived mostly intact and think that has been answered by a few members here. The one BIG advantage of this forum is that the Aero community is a fairly tight one and even with a dozen or so cars for sale at any one time, almost all of them have been registered with the clubs or have a known history of some kind. I'm sure there are other makes and models of car that have similar circles, but I am continuously amazed by the minute historic details that can often be brought to light by the collective team here on a specific car. Take some time to read a few of the past posts here in the Aero car section and you too will be surprised at some of the 50 year old documents and history that are shared.
There are more than a few nicely documented original and restored cars out there that do come up for sale on occasion.  
again, good luck with your hunt.
Scott

Scott Faulkner

rainbow4jd

In my opnion.... the only opinion that ever counts is at the moment when money changes hands.

If you misrepresent something that's for the courts to decide and not the bystanders.  If you are not an informed buyer - go look up the latin phrase "caveat emptor" (or it's english equivalent "a fool and his money"). 

Quite frankly, I am looking for a rich fool.   If you are one - come look at my car and you'll never regret it.  It'll be the best half million you've ever spent. :lol:

kiwitrev

Quote from: Galevin on September 08, 2016, 11:37:38 AM
As some of you know, I'm seriously in the market for a Superbird/Daytona and amazed at all the matching number cars. With these cars being literal race cars, subject to what typically happens to race engines after 45 years, why is it that there are so many matching number cars? Many of these cars have documentation from day one and include a notebook of docs but is that engine really original to that car? How can you really tell? Simple answer is you can't.

Check out this link
http://www.bigblockbruce.com/engine_number_restamping.html
This is one of many stampers that has all the fonts and can restamp a block to look original

Even Bloomington Gold and the NCRS accepts this (I've read there are more numbers matching 427/435 1967's then were ever produced).

Big Block Bruce says "The answer is yes I am providing a legitamate service. In fact a much sought after service that the National Corvette Restorer's Society accepts when it is judging and certifying Corvettes as does the Bloomington Gold show the last weekend of every June. "

The bottom line:
Even if a car has an original invoice, a hundred pages of docs, how do you know that the engine is the one that originated in the car? Using the same font and spacing, even experts can't tell the difference. Unless you bought the car originally, how do you know beyond a shadow of doubt? Especially if you used a replacement engine that was date code correct.

That sux when you spend 6 figures on a car which I'm contemplating. I'd be sick if technology in the future could detect a restamp and my treasured matching numbers car turned out to be a fake.
Gerald

first there are 503 STREET Daytona's the race cars were not taken from the street car ranks second unlike the corvettes these cars generally did not get used much they are not a great street car so a lot got bought by a particular kind of person and used rarly or put away early in life partly because they did not sell well and rather than loose many just got put away when the owner got bored with it. those cars are now coming out of the wood work

if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

kiwitrev

Quote from: Galevin on September 08, 2016, 04:04:42 PM
Personally I wouldn't pay a dime more than $50k for a non matching bird/Daytona whereas I tried to buy one last week that was matching numbers for $135k plus 10% commission ($148,500) and was outbid. Yes I understand an OEM wing is $7000 so there is plenty of value in a no matching number bird/Daytona but that has little value to me. When I buy art (cars or paintings), I want the best and will pay the premium. Just don't want to get ripped off by a fake bought at a premium price. Numbers matching means everything to me (and I can assure you to many other owners).
Gerald
you have 0 chance of getting a superbird or Daytona for $50,000 in any condition basket case Daytona start at $100,000 several have sold over that recently including a non numbers car

69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe

kiwitrev

and as to the don't sell well comment that still applies today some cars just stay on the market for months or even years till the right person comes along. I bought my pair over a year ago and a car I didn't buy is still available. both my cars are numbers matching with known ownership history

69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe

cudavic

Quote from: Galevin on September 08, 2016, 11:37:38 AM
As some of you know, I'm seriously in the market for a Superbird/Daytona and amazed at all the matching number cars. With these cars being literal race cars, subject to what typically happens to race engines after 45 years, why is it that there are so many matching number cars? Many of these cars have documentation from day one and include a notebook of docs but is that engine really original to that car? How can you really tell? Simple answer is you can't.

That sux when you spend 6 figures on a car which I'm contemplating. I'd be sick if technology in the future could detect a restamp and my treasured matching numbers car turned out to be a fake.
Gerald

Quote from: Galevin on September 10, 2016, 08:22:22 PM
I own over 50 cars and have been involved in collecting cars over 30 years ago so not as naive as some of the above posters tend to be. With this much money at state and with these cars over 45 years old I tend to believe there are more than a few birds/daytonas that are restamped.

I am curious on what kind of research you put into your prior purchases?
If you own 50 cars and have been involved in collecting cars for over 30 years.
One would think that you would have already mastered this process or lost plenty of sleep over the last 30 years.

And as previously mentioned these cars were not race cars, they were built to sell to the public to satisfy NASCAR requirements. LOL

superbird6bbl

I wouldn't sell my Superbird for $150,000.00. It has a period correct engine and all original sheetmetal. It was a Southern car and was driven. It is a driver now and I will also try Drag Racing it a few times. It is not restored, just repainted, new top, seats and carpet. The underside is solid and still has dirt from 1970 under it. I was really blessed to purchase such a solid car. It is a blast to drive and I enjoy the attention that it gets. I have had her since 1986 and had the title changed to my name in Feb. 1987. I just got her plated this year and I plan on driving the wheels of her. (Not literally). I had cancer surgery this year Feb. 5th. and I am 69 yrs. old. I am going to enjoy the car while I can.
Superbird6bbl, 69 Q5 SIX PACK Bee and 2011 Challenger SRT8 IE

odcics2

Quote from: superbird6bbl on October 05, 2016, 01:31:59 PM
I wouldn't sell my Superbird for $150,000.00. It has a period correct engine and all original sheetmetal. It was a Southern car and was driven. It is a driver now and I will also try Drag Racing it a few times. It is not restored, just repainted, new top, seats and carpet. The underside is solid and still has dirt from 1970 under it. I was really blessed to purchase such a solid car. It is a blast to drive and I enjoy the attention that it gets. I have had her since 1986 and had the title changed to my name in Feb. 1987. I just got her plated this year and I plan on driving the wheels of her. (Not literally). I had cancer surgery this year Feb. 5th. and I am 69 yrs. old. I am going to enjoy the car while I can.

Go, man, go! 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69_500

Quote from: superbird6bbl on October 05, 2016, 01:31:59 PM

I gotta make a trip back out there to see your car.