News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona race wing and street wing differences?

Started by Moparpoolman, February 10, 2016, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparpoolman

How can you tell the difference, if any, from a race Daytona wing and a street Daytona wing?  :scratchchin: Thanks

A383Wing

I have a race wing on my car...the vertical uprights have only 3 studs to hold to the car, the 4th stud is missing so the cable can run up, across, & over and down the other side.

The horizontal section has 8 set screws in it to lock it into place so it won't "walk" back to neutral when going down the backstretch at Daytona or Talladega.

There is a hole in the top of the vertical uprights at the top that you can see the cable routed through the wing. I filled the hole in each upright on my car back in the 90's when we built the car, my plans have changed for the car and now I will open the holes back up and run the cable through the wing assembly

odcics2

Keep in mind that Nascar used the cable, not USAC, ARCA, etc....
Lots of race wings without cable holes out there.

Mine never had a cable, or the set screws yours does.

Just saying they are all different, being hand modified for different sanctioning bodies.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

FJ5WING

do you have a close up of the set screws? How do you know it is a race wing? Im not questioning if it is Im simply asking? :cheers:
wingless now, but still around.

Moparpoolman

Thanks for the response and pictures 383wing.  Does anyone have pictures of the bottom of the race and street wings off the car showing the studs and up into the wing?

A383Wing

I will have pics of mine as soon as I get it off the car...might be this weekend if all goes well

A383Wing

Here are pics of the stock set screws....and also of the wing of how much maximum travel it has both directions, at least on my car....curious as to how much travel the street wing has compared to mine

Moparpoolman

Are there any other physical differences other that the set screw holes and a hole at the top of the uprights?  Are center sections the same size on both wings? Thanks

A383Wing

Quote from: Moparpoolman on February 13, 2016, 06:27:16 PM
Are there any other physical differences other that the set screw holes and a hole at the top of the uprights?  Are center sections the same size on both wings? Thanks

The physical size & shape are the same for both versions from what I have determined, other than the set screws, the cable used in the NASCAR wings, and the 3 mounting studs on mine, they should be equal

Moparpoolman

I still would like to see a picture of the bottom of a wing looking up into the vertical if possible, Thanks

r4daytona

Ok, not to sound stupid, but what is this cable you're talking about?  What did it do?

Aero426

Quote from: r4daytona on February 26, 2016, 10:23:09 AM
Ok, not to sound stupid, but what is this cable you're talking about?  What did it do?
Tom, the safety cable runs through all three pieces of the wing and is anchored to the underside of the trunk floors.    It was to keep the wing tethered to the car in case of an accident.   

A383Wing

Quote from: Moparpoolman on February 26, 2016, 10:12:56 AM
I still would like to see a picture of the bottom of a wing looking up into the vertical if possible, Thanks

I can do that, but I have not taken my wing off the car yet.....might not be for a couple weeks now....

Moparpoolman

Thanks 383wing, sounds good, I'll keep my eyes out for your post of the pic.

A383Wing

Quote from: Moparpoolman on February 26, 2016, 09:01:57 PM
Thanks 383wing, sounds good, I'll keep my eyes out for your post of the pic.

here are the pics you wanted....I took 5 total

Bryan

A383Wing